Internship Season - Zoom Outfits

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1080080

Hi!

So, with internship interview season underway, I was hoping to crowdsource some ideas on how to dress. Typically, I'd wear a suit; however, I've been told that black, navy, and white are poor choices for a virtual interview due to how they show up on camera.

Has anyone figured out a way around this, or is the best way around it just to dress normally and hope for the best?

Thanks all!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for starting this thread, this is something that has been on my mind as well!

I can imagine it may depend on your background set up. For mine, I will be having a white wall as my background so I assumed a black suit jacket and nice blouse underneath may work well? But I'd be interested in hearing what others think.

Please, for the love of all things good:

Just wear a solid color. No prints on camera. I think any single, solid color at all will be fine. Sweater, blouse, collared shirt, dress... whatever.

Pro tip- No v-necks because inevitably it looks like more skin than most plan for show. Just a trick of the camera.

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Along with this, would it be reasonable to use a solid-color background through zoom, or should it definitely be our surroundings. I'm trying to figure out where I'd do my interviews and don't have anywhere with a great backdrop.

I wouldn't think too much about this. Just dress professionally and please for heaven's sake wear pants -- real pants, not PJs, as you never know if you'll have to pick something up, answer the door, have the computer fall over etc.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
I would pick out a couple of outfits you think would look nice and wear them on zoom before your interview. I have had no problem wearing black or cream (stark white does not look good on me in any scenario lol) on zoom so it may depend (as someone else said) on the lighting and your background. If you have meetings with your adviser or supervisor on zoom maybe wear the outfit then and ask for their opinion if you have that kind of relationship with them. That's what I did, and it was helpful, especially since I had to wear it for the full hour so I got a sense if it was comfortable or not. Also, if you're a make up wear-er I would do the same thing to make sure you're not looking too washed out or too overdone on zoom.

But honestly, I'm not going to worry too much about this. As long as my outfit doesn't draw attention away from me, I'm good. In this scenario, I would rather risk that they don't remember my outfit than they do remember it lol

Reactions: 3 users
This is super helpful AND ALSO I had not thought about how v-necks definitely look lower on camera and that was such a helpful note, thank you.

Are sweaters OK to wear? I think I'm also struggling with what to wear for different regions, too -- I grew up in NY and haven't really strayed too far from here geographically so in my mind, a full suit is the Only Option for interviews, but I'm not sure if that's overdressed for some places.

Can I ask -- Why no shoes, AbnormalPsych?

Reactions: 1 user
For female-presenting folx, I do enjoy the visual element of a black top, a nice muted scarf, and earrings or a necklace that brings a pop of color or shine, or has a nice design that coveys understated style.