Internship site in NYC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

QClinician

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi- Has anyone applied to internship sites in NYC or planning to?

Members don't see this ad.

I did, and am at one now. What do you want to know?

Members don't see this ad :)
Where are your top sites? So far, my top site is Albert Einstein. Do you know anyone who went there or have you heard any reviews? I wish there was a site where current/past interns provide people applying with the real scoop on what goes on in these places. Ugh. Where are you guys in the application process?

Ugh. Where are you guys in the application process?

Finished my essays and CV, I'm starting on the cover letters. I pretty much have my 15 sites picked, will finalize them in the next week or so.

Finished my essays and CV, I'm starting on the cover letters. I pretty much have my 15 sites picked, will finalize them in the next week or so.

Good for you. I've done everything but finish my essays and write the cover letters, the most important things!!

I'm getting nervous that not having hospital experience may hurt my application. Anyone have any inside info on this? I am only applying to hospitals.

I'm getting nervous that not having hospital experience may hurt my application. Anyone have any inside info on this? I am only applying to hospitals.

Hmm...that can be a tough one. I think that may put you at a disadvantage, unless of course you have worked with medical populations in other contexts outside a hospital setting, or if you have research experience related to the sites which you are applying. I'm also applying to hospitals, and many have explicitly stated that they look for prior hospital experience. So, my unsolicited advice is to not give up the possibility of matching to a hospital, but to also consider sites that you have had prior experience in.

Hmm...that can be a tough one. I think that may put you at a disadvantage, unless of course you have worked with medical populations in other contexts outside a hospital setting, or if you have research experience related to the sites which you are applying. I'm also applying to hospitals, and many have explicitly stated that they look for prior hospital experience. So, my unsolicited advice is to not give up the possibility of matching to a hospital, but to also consider sites that you have had prior experience in.

This is good advice. I went through the process last year and found the NYC hospitals to be very competitive. Of course, in NYC most of the sites are hospitals -- very few counseling centers around there are APPIC or APA accredited. Can you expand your search to some places in NJ or CT? This might be something to consider as well. Best of luck! There IS a light at the end of this tunnel!:)

Where have you completed practica? If you have experience in a related area you may be okay. I've heard VAs are more open to people coming from non-hospital backgrounds. Some hospitals will state a specific req. or at least preference, while others may not. I'd strongly suggest looking at a range of sites, as there are few absolutes in the application process.

I have worked in campus mental health centers, community mental health centers, and homeless shelters. No hospitals, but i have worked alongside psychiatrists. Hm. Was just reading an article in gradPsych that said 25-30% of people dont match. That is higher than i thought. I should really think more about expanding my search.

I have worked in campus mental health centers, community mental health centers, and homeless shelters. No hospitals, but i have worked alongside psychiatrists. Hm. Was just reading an article in gradPsych that said 25-30% of people dont match. That is higher than i thought. I should really think more about expanding my search.

I can't recommend this strongly enough. It's a jungle out there in "internship land".:scared:

Thanks for the wonderful and thought provoking comment.

No problem.

I can't recommend this strongly enough. It's a jungle out there in "internship land".:scared:

NYC in particular is rough, as even less desirable placements get a ton of applicants. Many of the same people apply to the same sites, so for better or worse you'll see the same faces.