Internship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gzaky

PsyD
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that it is kind of early for me to start preparing for this but I am that way. Would anyone who has completed the Internship process or is currently attending it give any helpful information on that topic? I am specifically interested to know if there is something that I can be working on now as a first year doctoral student in Psychology (Psy.D) that can increase my chances of landing the internship site that I like? For example research, work exp., etc.

Some background info: I have earned a M.ED in Mental Health Counseling and I am waiting for the 2 years post graduate requirement to pass before sitting in for my LMHC. In my doctoral program I plan on pursuing a concentration in Forensics or Neuropsychology.

Any info can help

Thank you one and all

Members don't see this ad.

Hi. I don't know if you have already seen this but the last issue of APA's gradPSYCH magazine had a cover story about obtaining internships.

http://gradpsych.apags.org/

Yes I did, thank you but I was looking for information that is more personable.

Members don't see this ad :)
That was being an ass ;)

How's med school going, PH?

lazure said:
That was being an ass ;)

How's med school going, PH?

Great! There's a lot to learn, but I'm happy that I chose this route over clinical psychology. While there's a lot to learn, there are more opportunities in the end. I couldn't stand the idea of pursuing a PhD, then internship, and then 2-year postdoc, only to wind up with a academic or clinical job that pays $50K/year. Sure there's more debt associated with medical training than clinical psych training, but you're virtually GUARANTEED a six-figure salary after residency. I have friends who are entertaining offers of $200K/year straight out of fellowships in psychosomatic psychiatry. Clinical psychologists are competing for the same jobs as social workers! RxP for psychologists will be a long battle.

PublicHealth said:
Clinical psychologists are competing for the same jobs as social workers!

Unfortunately, I can say this is true. We were looking for a secondary supervisor and I was talking to another psychologist who handed over about five resumes she got (all licensed practitioners) when they had applied for a social worker job at her clinic.

Hey PH:
Do you have an MPH? Are you doing MD/MPH? Why did you decide you needed more than the MPH, if that's accurate?

Janusdog said:
Hey PH:
Do you have an MPH? Are you doing MD/MPH? Why did you decide you needed more than the MPH, if that's accurate?

Yes, I completed an MPH prior to applying to medical school. Even while pursuing an MPH, I knew that I wanted to pursue doctoral-level clinical training. I just didn't know if that training would be in clinical psychology or medicine/psychiatry. I opted for the latter after discussing the pros and cons of both fields with a number of professionals. I have no interest in psychotherapy and view psychiatric disorders as biochemical in origin. Virtually every psychologist that I talked to (total of 15) told me to pursue medicine/psychiatry.

I'm currently in a DO program and absolutely love it.