Internships for Highschool youngsters?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Prudentissimus

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

This is my first time here; Please forgive any of my possible abruptness and inaccordance to the protocols around here, which I hope soon to learn. My question to all of you today is in my title - Where should I begin my search for some work experience in the medical field, given that I am just an average science highschool student, with no training in the medical field - Hospitals? Clinics? What kind of positions are available for people like me at this point in life? I intend to attend medical school. I just want to get use to the work enviroment of hospital; and some of the common drug names and their uses in a practical, real-life situation ( much like the setting in those Trauma shows on Discovery Health and TLC )

Thanks and with Humility,

Tom

Members don't see this ad.

Prudentissimus said:
Hello!

This is my first time here; Please forgive any of my possible abruptness and inaccordance to the protocols around here, which I hope soon to learn. My question to all of you today is in my title - Where should I begin my search for some work experience in the medical field, given that I am just an average science highschool student, with no training in the medical field - Hospitals? Clinics? What kind of positions are available for people like me at this point in life? I intend to attend medical school. I just want to get use to the work enviroment of hospital; and some of the common drug names and their uses in a practical, real-life situation ( much like the setting in those Trauma shows on Discovery Health and TLC )

Tom

Get your EMT license over the summer. You can work for an ambulence service, or become at ER tech.

But I guess if your in high school, just start by shadowing physicians, friends parents, family connections. You may get to college and say, umm, medicine doesn't look so good anymore.

Call or e-mail the volunteer office of your local hospital. The hospital near me has a summer program for high school students (I think you have to be 16) who are interested in medicine. I think they get to volunteer in different parts of the hospital, and it's a summer-long program.

Volunteer positions are easier to find than jobs in the medical field if you have no relevant skills.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thundrstorm said:
Call or e-mail the volunteer office of your local hospital. The hospital near me has a summer program for high school students (I think you have to be 16) who are interested in medicine. I think they get to volunteer in different parts of the hospital, and it's a summer-long program.

Volunteer positions are easier to find than jobs in the medical field if you have no relevant skills.

OK, I have signed up at my local hospital, Arkansas Children's Hospital.

Now... what other places can I volunteer at?

Listen,

It's ok to volunteer in something even if it will be scut work. I recall having to be a janitor before voluteering. Additionally, most good hospitals (like quite a few in NY or LA have volunteering offices which take these positions very seriously. They require training. When I did this I got a nice uniform and got to talk to patients as I wheeled them to their rooms or when I brought them food. This is "scut work" by some but very gratifying to others. But that a long time ago for me. Suggestions to check hospitals near you and their volunteer offices. You could also find a private practice physician whom you could shadow. Good luck. It's never too early to start. :)

You will probably do very boring volunteer work.. but like some else said, get your EMT license and start doing that young. It's a great way to experience things "hands-on"

And yeah, many things change in college. So don't get too dedicated to one career path. College is a time to explore various things.

Where can I find the application for EMT licencing test? Where can I find preparations?

Note that whatever you do in high school does not get reported on your AMCAS, so you should continue to volunteer throughout college.

Chinorean said:
Note that whatever you do in high school does not get reported on your AMCAS, so you should continue to volunteer throughout college.

What is the roadmap for my years in college if I wish to take MCAT and attend medical school?

Prudentissimus said:
Hello!

Tom

you need to "spark up a lil' bud and get blowwwwwwwn awayyyyy"

jk def take all these guys' advice...definitely do the volunteer thing. Just leave some room in your life for some fun, trust me man you're gonna need it. ALso, if you really think you know what you want (medschool) then find out and apply to 7 year BS/MD programs with guaranteed admission. A lot of people here will discourage you from doing that but, hey, if you know you want it that bad and that you won't be changing your mind then just do it. A lot of the programs let you apply out to other schools...just do the research.

Mostly tho, Tom...buddy boy...you need to party, hook up with some fine ladies (or gents, i guess) and volunteer from time to time.

Thats the game plan, kool?

gluck.

I have noticed those "Medical Accelerated programs" in undergrade programs;

Are those them 7 year BS/MD programs you are speaking of?

Those programs require very high SAT and GPAs to get in... :(

Chinorean said:

You can sneak it in especially if you continue the activity into college. I did and think it benifited me during interviews as some of the activities I participated in during highschool came up during the interview.

And with regards to the OP's question; when I was in highschool I particpated in the National Student Leadership Conference on Medicine and Healthcare. Ya.....its just one of those things where they pretty much accept anyone who gives them the money but I think it was a very valuable experience in terms of exposure to the field and deffinitely motivated me throughout college.