Internships/Postdocs in Canada?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LaLuna123

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in a Clinical Ph.D. program in the U.S., but would like the idea of living in Canada for a while. Does anyone know how difficult it is for non-Canadians to find internships (APA accredited) or postdocs in any of the major cities? (I'm also not a U.S. citizen, so I don't know if that would make it even harder...)

I've looked at the APPIC database, and some of the internship sites mention that they "prefer" Canadian applicants. What does this mean? That there's perhaps some kind of immigration policy? Or that they don't take non-Canadians except in very unusual circumstances?

What about actual jobs after the postdoc year?

I hope someone can shed some light on this issue.. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

The most important thing to consider is that APA is phasing out accreditation of Canadian sites. So, over the coming years there will be progressively fewer sites to apply to if your doctoral training site requires an APA-approved internship (mine does).

I don't think there are any systemic barriers beyond that. But if a site is saying they prefer Canadian applicants over US ones, that seems to me to be a strong indication that a non-Canadian should not apply to that site.

I'm in a Clinical Ph.D. program in the U.S., but would like the idea of living in Canada for a while. Does anyone know how difficult it is for non-Canadians to find internships (APA accredited) or postdocs in any of the major cities? (I'm also not a U.S. citizen, so I don't know if that would make it even harder...)

I've looked at the APPIC database, and some of the internship sites mention that they "prefer" Canadian applicants. What does this mean? That there's perhaps some kind of immigration policy? Or that they don't take non-Canadians except in very unusual circumstances?

What about actual jobs after the postdoc year?

I hope someone can shed some light on this issue.. Thanks in advance!

I applied to a Canadian site last year, and the TD told me that they are told by the government that they can only select a non-Canadians if there are no other equivalent Canadian candidates. I'm not sure if that it true at every site (if it truly is a national requirement I suppose it would be). But that being said, non-Canadian students do match at Canadian sites each year, so I wouldn't rule it out, but JockNerd does bring up a good point regarding APA phasing out its accreditation of Canadian sites.