Interpreting Essay prompts within reason

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sv3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've seen some prompts that could be interpreted in different ways and wondering how much leniency we have here? Is the key to define our understanding of the prompt right away and then write our essay based upon our definition of the prompt?

Most of the time I find myself focusing the prompt on a specific area, as opposed to a larger more vague area. For example, if the prompt says something like "Highly selective univeristies are beneficial for society........." - What does selective mean here" Selective for academic acheivement? Income? etc etc. Could one focus this prompt in any way they want, or go with what is most likely meant by the MCAT author (which in this case would be academics I am assuming).

thanks
steve

Members don't see this ad.

I've seen some prompts that could be interpreted in different ways and wondering how much leniency we have here? Is the key to define our understanding of the prompt right away and then write our essay based upon our definition of the prompt?

Most of the time I find myself focusing the prompt on a specific area, as opposed to a larger more vague area. For example, if the prompt says something like "Highly selective univeristies are beneficial for society........." - What does selective mean here" Selective for academic acheivement? Income? etc etc. Could one focus this prompt in any way they want, or go with what is most likely meant by the MCAT author (which in this case would be academics I am assuming).

thanks
steve

You can interpret the prompt however you like but that is why you have to make sure to define the terms in your first paragraph. Once you define what "selective" means for example, you can then use any examples that fit this definition.

Exactly what Rach83 said - just be sure to CLEARLY define how you're interpreting in your first paragraph. Also, I think the key to getting high scores is concrete examples. So whatever you define is fine; just stick with it and elaborate.