Interpreting USMLE Scores- Confused.....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

squirrel

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got my board scores back, and I'm having a little trouble interpreting them. I scored 244 and 99...I know this is about 1.5 standard deviations above the mean, but beyond that I can't say much more... Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

That means that you did great on Boards. Your scores will definitely help you when you apply to residency programs (although that's variable depending on the program -- some programs don't put too much emphasis on Boards scores). I don't remember exactly what 1.5 SD corresponds to, but I think you are at least in the 95th percentile of Boards scores.

Prev posters have said July 2001 USMLE avg was 215 & s.d. was 21, so assuming normal dist, ur 1.38 sigmas above mean, or 92%. Which ain't too shabby [although ur math is crap ....]. That's got to have some halo effect in your rotations, don't you think? What's your school? Were you happy with their support of USMLE 1 preparation?

I go to Albert Einstein COllege of Medicine. Most of the preparation I did was outside of anything our school offered. Granted there were a few questions on the boards that I remember from my course exams, but for the most part I felt like Einstein's curriculum had quite a few holes in it. Also we didn't have any review seminars or comparable sessions to focus our efforts which dissapointed me...but hey, whether I realize it or not, they probably contributed something to my success....can't tell for sure though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Squirrel-
Do you mind sharing how you studied for boards- books, time, and any other helpful information? Thanks and congrats on the good score.

Hello all

I am also having problems interpreting my scores on step 1. Beside the score label is the number 305 and in the percentile part it says "Deity" I currently attend an ivy league school in the top 5, however i must say that these feeble minded mortals contributed nothing to my education....after all they are meer mortals....gwahaha

after all it is not everyday you meet someone as quick witted as myself.....able to brag about my board scores all the while slying disguising it as asking for help......yes 200 people have done that on this board before....but mine was much much bettwer