Intersection of geriatric psychiatry and hospice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SpinDktr

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am wondering if anyone has any books/references that might be good for end of life psychiatric issues. I am working as a geriatric psychiatrist, but have had some difficult cases recently, with end stage dementia. Many are actively in hospice, who have developed some severe behavioral issues beyond which inpatient hospice has been able to handle.

Example right now is a patient on our service who survived a concentration camp. Never had PTSD symptoms until admitted to hospice, but for some reason is completely inconsolable and seems to think all her caregivers are germans.

I haven't really come across a book or reference that really seems to get at these issues, but if anyone could point me in the direction of a good hospice/palliative care reference, that would help as well. Sorry if this is perhaps the wrong forum, it seemed like it could go in either category.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I suggest looking into 'later adulthood trauma reengagement' or 'late onset stree symptomatology'. There is also a good article on ptsd at the end of life that was just published by Joan cook and Jenny moye in geropsychology I believe.

There is also things written about trauma informed hospice care that may be helpful.

I wind up seeing what you describe fairly regularly at the EoL.