Interservice Tranfers HPSP only (Branch Switching)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jinglebell

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a 4th year Navy HPSP student dating a 3rd year AF HPSP student.

Anyone else in a relationship with someone from another HPSP service?

Did you get married and are trying to switch to one branch? How can this be done? I have a classmate going through a similar situation, and it seems like a nightmare.

Are one of you deferring for a year or for the full residency to stay in the same location? How reliable is getting a deferment, then matching to a civilian program you want?

Do you know anyone going through this? What are they doing?

How do couples stay together?

USUHS allows Interservice Transfers usually for marriage, but HPSP seems more complicated and convoluted.

Any info is greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

There is a waiver for everything, but getting it done can be the tricky bit.
I looked into this from the standpoint of residency location of USN programs for my family's benefit, but decided against it in the end because I know the Army best.

Contact the other service recruiters about transfer - they have an incentive to help. I've had success just going up the chain and asking the question. Usually the first line doesn't know and they'll just say no. So, I ask who has the waiver authority and who I should ask. Politeness goes a long way, but if they are being difficult, call your congressional office -- I've done that too with success.

I'm a 4th year Navy HPSP student dating a 3rd year AF HPSP student.

Anyone else in a relationship with someone from another HPSP service?

Did you get married and are trying to switch to one branch? How can this be done? I have a classmate going through a similar situation, and it seems like a nightmare.

Are one of you deferring for a year or for the full residency to stay in the same location? How reliable is getting a deferment, then matching to a civilian program you want?

Do you know anyone going through this? What are they doing?

How do couples stay together?

USUHS allows Interservice Transfers usually for marriage, but HPSP seems more complicated and convoluted.

Any info is greatly appreciated!

This happens at USU every year although sometimes its easier than others. I know of at least one case that required congressional involvement a few years back. My guess is that they won't even start to listen until you're already married and then its going to be a challenge to get done quickly enough. So, if this is really important and you're sure that you want to get married, I'd recommend heading to the county courthouse for a quickie wedding and having your real ceremony at your leisure. Then you can start the process already married. if you are just dating and don't really know you want to get married, then I'd say you're probably facing a long separation if you figure out you want to get married in a year or 2.

This happens at USU every year although sometimes its easier than others. I know of at least one case that required congressional involvement a few years back. My guess is that they won't even start to listen until you're already married and then its going to be a challenge to get done quickly enough. So, if this is really important and you're sure that you want to get married, I'd recommend heading to the county courthouse for a quickie wedding and having your real ceremony at your leisure. Then you can start the process already married. if you are just dating and don't really know you want to get married, then I'd say you're probably facing a long separation if you figure out you want to get married in a year or 2.

Being married first, is a good point. There are lots of joint operation "hook ups" and they go to their NCO/CO and say it is love but want the transfer before they get married. Then, the beer wears off. It happens so often, those who are committed to each other have to prove it first. Even then, operational requirements may prevent joint assignment. The civilian deferment may be the better bet. If I were in charge, I would grant your three wishes.