Intership...are we all in the same boat or is there a huge learning curve?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JasonDO

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I imagine that I can speak for the vast majority of m4s out there when I say that I am pretty anxious about internship...

My question to all the current interns and residents is, how did you feel when you realized that...hey, I can do this and you actually felt confident in what you were doing?

Members don't see this ad.

I think that people who do their residency where they went to medical school have an advantage. They already know everybody, know where things are, and are basically just less disoriented during the first few months. I had my cardiology rotation during the first month of internship and I didn't really learn anything because I was still trying to figure out the logistics of getting a nurse to give my patient benadryl. I'm not advocating that everyone do residency where they did med school but it is less traumatic.

JP-

I'm with you brother. My second month of residency (first month is ED orientation for the EM residents) is CCU! I did my cardiology rotation as the third rotation as an M3, and did absolutely nothing and really didnt' learn much besides how to write a IM SOAP note (not to mention the attending didnt' teach whatsoever). I am going to hold off on reading until the month before, as I know I won't remember it anyways.

But I think about it this way, I obviously am a decent student via my grades and course evaluations, and did very well on my boards. If I am compared to all medical students, I would hazard a guess that I am above average.

Now if ALL medical students, including the poor, the below average, the average, the above, and the excellent are starting internship at the same time, I won't feel bad.

Its not like all the other medical students have been doing cardiac caths while I'm sitting here on SDN. We're all in the same boat.

An intern at the hospital I did my cores at put medical education this way:
As a third year, its a huge learning curve, you dont' knwo anything about anything. As a fourth year, you're pretty comfortable and think you can handle it. Once you're an intern, you feel like a third year again, but the learning curve is steep and soon you'll feel comfortable again.

Q

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi there,
See my answer under Surgery and Surgical Specialties "Advice for the New Intern" Thread but about 3 weeks into my first rotation (Vascular Surgery) I started to feel comfortable about my role as an intern. As I am starting to transition from PGY-1 to PGY-2, I am feeling a bit more pressure. As an intern, it was OK not to know some things but as a second-year resident, I HAVE to have a solid knowledge base.

Still, I am happy that the intern year is rapidly coming to a close. I am enjoying my OR time and building on my knowledge base. I am looking forward to all of the intensive care and operating time next year. This year, your learning curve is steep. Just remember to ask questions if you don't know something. There is always someone more senior around to help you out.

njbmd :D

thanks for the advice guys...I guess I am just stressing...like I always tend to do...I think I'm making a "mountain out of mole hill." nonetheless, this ever increasing level of repsponsibility is both exciting and nerve racking for me...I just wanted to say congrats to all the M4s out there about to pass a very important mile stone in their lives...I'd also like to remind everybody that "it" has only just begun:D good luck and if you mess up there's always dentistry....just kidding;)

I never realized how good those dentites have it...Whatley~!

Originally posted by JasonDO
I imagine that I can speak for the vast majority of m4s out there when I say that I am pretty anxious about internship...

My question to all the current interns and residents is, how did you feel when you realized that...hey, I can do this and you actually felt confident in what you were doing?

It was about 6-8 months into my internship before I felt comfortable. Then I started ophthalmology, and it took 6-8 months to feel comfortable again. The learning curve is VERY STEEP.