SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Intership for foreign medical graduate-5th pathway

Discussion in 'General International Discussion' started by Superian, Mar 6, 2002.

  1. Superian

    Superian Junior Member 7+ Year Member

    Feb 20, 2002
    Here is a message from one of my friends:

    I have finished a medical degree program without an internship of a year which includes training in ob/gyn,medicine, surgery, peds and social and preventive medicine. Social and Is mandatory in India that i will be able to complete
    that subject in India. However I would like to do the rest of the training here in USA. Is there a possibility to that here? I must mention that I am
    a US citizen.

  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. kamya

    kamya Member 7+ Year Member

    Jan 31, 2002
    All I know is there is one program called fifth pathway program here in US which allows IMGS to do Internship.
    BUT------ there are some limitations for that. I suggest you go to any search engine
    ( <a href="," target="_blank">,</a> I suggest) and type fifth pathway program and search for it. You will get all the information you need

    Hope this helps
  4. kamya

    kamya Member 7+ Year Member

    Jan 31, 2002
    I am sorry superian, I didnot notice taht you have already mentioned about fifth pathway in your subject line. So you already know about it. But still if you search on the internet you will get lots of information ----

    :rolleyes: am I of any help here :p
  5. dwstranger

    dwstranger Senior Member 10+ Year Member

    Feb 14, 2000
    Bethlehem, PA
    I have answered a bunch of posts regarding 5th Pathway. You should do a search this site using "Fifth pathway, 5PW, 5th Pathway" and you should come up with a good number of posts to answer your question. But the long and the short of it is (if I understood your post correctly) that you already have your MD although India requires completion of the internship. Is that right? Because 5PW was created for US citizens and permanent residents who go to school in a country that requires a year of Internship and one of Social Service after 4 years of school, before they award the degree. If you already have the MD, you are ineligible to participate.

    I suggest you go to the AMA's site -- <a href="" target="_blank"></a> -- and search for "fifth pathway." It'll come up under ECFMG certification (5PW is an alternative to ECFMG certification). You can also go to NY Medical College's site -- <a href="" target="_blank"></a> -- and you'll get some other info. If you have other questions after doing your search, post them or send me a private message.
  6. SkAnDaLoUs

    SkAnDaLoUs Member 7+ Year Member

    Feb 28, 2002
    Ann Arbor & Cali
    Are the internships only available in New York?


Share This Page