1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Intership or hospital work

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by rpames, Sep 25, 2001.

1. rpames

rpames Optometrist
    10+ Year Member

Optometrist
    I'm starting to make plans for this summer. I was wondering what way to go, internship or hospital. My advisor said hospital work would probably be better (like an ER Tech or even a bed pan guy, gross). I'll be doing research as part of my BS degree starting next semester and going through my senior year so I will have exposure to it. What would be the best choice?
    Thanks,
    Ryan

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Fixed Gear

Fixed Gear Highly Acetylated Locus
    7+ Year Member

In my opinion, go for patient contact. Not only will this give a medical school an idea that your have worked with (and hopefully excelled) sick people, it will truly serve to test your mettle to be a physician by dealing with tough situations. You may hate it and love your research and decide to go for a PhD instead. You never know. I'm not trying to dissuade you at all, just saying that patient contact is an invaluable experience.
    Best of luck

4. none

none 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

What is the internship? Private practice?

5. DNALadder2002

DNALadder2002 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

A job that entails patient contact is far better than working in a lab. You are pursuing MD not PhD and this means in location you'll be working in a hospital, not in labs (unless of course, you want to do this as well). I hope this helps.

6. Atlas

Atlas Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Here's a question:

I'm working in a hospital right now as a Nutrition Care Assistant. I feel that I get good contact with patients, but don't perform any medical procedures. I mostly help patients in non-medical ways, but make a difference nonetheless. Here's my question. I'm looking to do a summer undergraduate research program. In order to do that, I'd have to put the job on hold or quit altogether. Is that a good idea? Is doing a summer research program at a medical school better than working at my job despite the lack of medical intervention I do at my job? Plus, I shadow two physicians (1 MD and 1 DO) and probably will well into next summer. Do you recommend that I shoot for the summer research gig, or do I have enough going for me with my job and shadowing?

7. leorl

Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Atlas,

if you can continue doing shadowing and work at the hospital after you summer research gig, go for the internship - that way you get a different aspect of health science. Lots of times people who never were interested in it before have a lot of fun in the lab. Besides, at least with the summer lab internship I did, maybe your supervisor will like you so much that the project you do will end up giving you a plus when you become an author (doesn't matter which one). But don't do it just to booster your transcript..you've already got enough going for that. Do it for an outside experience, if you really want to.

8. Atlas

Atlas Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    leorl,

Thanks for the input. You think I have enough hospital/shadow experience? I'm always worried I don't have enough. Lately, I've taken an interest in these summer research programs. I think it would look good, but I have other things going for me too. This summer, I'd also like to take a required lit class that I've been meaning to. I mean, I'd like to do summer research, but if it doesn't work out I guess I won't fret. Besides, next year, I'm required to undertake a senior thesis and research project. I guess that'll be enough research for med schools. Oh great!..I'm talking myself right out of summer reseach! :) lol I've got alot of thinking to do!

9. MorningLight2100

MorningLight2100 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

If possible, I would highly recommend doing some patient work, especially if you're going to be involved in research next year anyway. Don't just go ahead and do it for your application, either...honestly see if you'd be happy in a medical environment.

Personally, my hospital volunteering experiences have not only enhanced my desire to enter the medical field, but also have changed my entire outlook on life. They've very heavily influenced me, so much so that I sorely miss the periods when I cannot volunteer as much of my time. In any case, you'll learn far more about medical PRACTICE, about the hospital experience, etc., if you volunteer or find a hospital position than if you do benchwork.

Whatever your decision, good luck with it.