Interventional Neurology, Endovascular Neurosurgery, and Neuroradiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

danielmd06

Neurosomnologist
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good afternoon all,

I have combed through various medical university websites, Google, and FRIEDA. I have been making full use of the search function on this forum. I have spoken with Neuroradiologists, Neurologists, and Neurosurgeons. I have visited different websites including the American Society of Interventional and Therapeutic Neuroradiology, and the American Society of Neuroimaging. Despite all of this, I am still confused about a couple of key issues that perhaps you gentlemen can help me with.

Basically, I am a PGY-1 interested in learning more about Vascular and Interventional Neurology/Endovascular Neurosurgery/Interventional Neuroradiology.

My understanding is that after completing a Neurology residency, I will complete at least three separate fellowships in Neuroimaging (through a Radiology Department), Stroke/Vascular Neurology (through a Neurology Department), and Interventional Neuroradiology (through a Radiology Department), respectively. I also hear that certain institutions offer Interventional Neuroradiology fellowhip positions directly to individuals graduating from Neurology residency.

I hear vague reports of upcoming concurrent Neurosurgical or Neurological and Neuroradiological pathways. Also, there are at least two Neurology/Diagnostic Radiology/Interventional Neuroradiology residencies listed on FRIEDA.

So my questions are these:

(1) Am I correct in my fellowship pathways? Should I be concerned about completing either the Stroke/Vascular fellowship or the Neuroimaging fellowship first?

(2) What about the DIRECT pathway after completing a Neurology residency? Would this be a more acceptable training course?

(3) Specifically, which Radiology programs (that you gentlemen are either directly or indirectly familiar with) are amenable to training Neurologists beyond Cleveland Clinic and UT Houston?

(4) Are there any additional resources to familiarize myself with, or particular individuals who could aid my career goals?

(5) Can anyone bolster my knowledge about the aforementioned concurrent residency training programs?

I would be grateful for any help that can be rendered.

Thank you,

Daniel

Members don't see this ad.

Good afternoon all,

I have combed through various medical university websites, Google, and FRIEDA. I have been making full use of the search function on this forum. I have spoken with Neuroradiologists, Neurologists, and Neurosurgeons. I have visited different websites including the American Society of Interventional and Therapeutic Neuroradiology, and the American Society of Neuroimaging. Despite all of this, I am still confused about a couple of key issues that perhaps you gentlemen can help me with.

Basically, I am a PGY-1 interested in learning more about Vascular and Interventional Neurology/Endovascular Neurosurgery/Interventional Neuroradiology.

My understanding is that after completing a Neurology residency, I will complete at least three separate fellowships in Neuroimaging (through a Radiology Department), Stroke/Vascular Neurology (through a Neurology Department), and Interventional Neuroradiology (through a Radiology Department), respectively. I also hear that certain institutions offer Interventional Neuroradiology fellowhip positions directly to individuals graduating from Neurology residency.

I hear vague reports of upcoming concurrent Neurosurgical or Neurological and Neuroradiological pathways. Also, there are at least two Neurology/Diagnostic Radiology/Interventional Neuroradiology residencies listed on FRIEDA.

So my questions are these:

(1) Am I correct in my fellowship pathways? Should I be concerned about completing either the Stroke/Vascular fellowship or the Neuroimaging fellowship first?

(2) What about the DIRECT pathway after completing a Neurology residency? Would this be a more acceptable training course?

(3) Specifically, which Radiology programs (that you gentlemen are either directly or indirectly familiar with) are amenable to training Neurologists beyond Cleveland Clinic and UT Houston?

(4) Are there any additional resources to familiarize myself with, or particular individuals who could aid my career goals?

(5) Can anyone bolster my knowledge about the aforementioned concurrent residency training programs?

I would be grateful for any help that can be rendered.

Thank you,

Daniel

1. Yes, you are correct. I doubt the order of stroke/imaging really matters, but I'd think about doing stroke first since you'll still be in "clinical" mode. If you took a year to look at pictures, all your clinical skills might get rusty.

2. I'm not familiar with anywhere offering interventional neurorads fellowships directly to neurology residents. But I guess I could be wrong.

3. I believe there is one at UMDNJ (Newark) as well.

4. Search through this forum again; I believe a couple of months back there was a posting from an interventionalist from University of Louisville named Edgar Periera (not sure about spelling), talking about setting up an interventionalist website. Why don't you contact him?

5. I think most of the combined neuro/rads/neurorads programs are dead, because everyone started doing them as a back door to get into general radiology. I don't know what's cooking on the neurosurgical side. Ultimately, I think sooner or later more neurologists will somehow get (or be let) into the field: probably when medicare cuts reimbursements and the rads people don't think it's financially worthwhile any more to bother coming in at 3AM to pluck a clot out of some gomer's basilar.