interventional pain management anesthesiology compensation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pain guru

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi group,
I will need your help with figuring compensation for Pain management/anesthesia but doing only pain with >5 years of experience.
what is offered now is
compensation package with
380K base for 7200 WRVU
anything over 7200 is 30$ per WRVU
10% performance bonus at the end of the year

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
For $30 per wrvu I would take salary and bonus and not bother, I could hit goal and take off 3 mo per year.

1000 RVUs/month x $30/RVU x 3 months = 90K.

thats nothing to sneeze at.

380 + 38 (10%) + 90K = 508K/year. ill take that job......

Hi group,
I will need your help with figuring compensation for Pain management/anesthesia but doing only pain with >5 years of experience.
what is offered now is
compensation package with
380K base for 7200 WRVU
anything over 7200 is 30$ per WRVU
10% performance bonus at the end of the year
agree with Steve on this.

$58 per wrvu is good

$70+ per wrvu, if you are anesthesia/pain is what you should be at based on MGMA

Why would your bonus be less than your normal conversion factor of $52.77?

Are you factoring in total package or just straight salary when you state $70 plus per wrvu?

agree with Steve on this.

$58 per wrvu is good

$70+ per wrvu, if you are anesthesia/pain is what you should be at based on MGMA

when you refer to anesthesia/pain does that mean the doc is doing OR anesthesia and an outpatient pain practice or just that the physician's primary specialty is anesthesia and they're running a pain practice?

I don't see why there would be a pay differential based on primary specialty. We all get paid the same for 62311 and 64483.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't see why there would be a pay differential based on primary specialty. We all get paid the same for 62311 and 64483.
There should not be unless people are mixing their primary specialties in with their IPM practices.

Thank you guys for taking the time to reply, my primary speciality is anesthesia but now doing Pain only.
I saw 380K for 7200 Wrvu is low...... I would expect in private practice 7200 would get you around 600k
Now with this job offer anythink below 7200 you will pay back 40$ per Wrvu
My other question when groups hire IPM is there any difference in compensation between anesthesia and physiatry

Anybody have access for latest MGMA figures 2013 or 2015

Thank you guys for taking the time to reply, my primary speciality is anesthesia but now doing Pain only.
I saw 380K for 7200 Wrvu is low...... I would expect in private practice 7200 would get you around 600k
Now with this job offer anythink below 7200 you will pay back 40$ per Wrvu
My other question when groups hire IPM is there any difference in compensation between anesthesia and physiatry

unless you are in wyoming, you are out of your mind. your numbers are WAY high

Agreed. Graduating fellow here. It doesn't have to be Wyoming, but if you are Midwest (anywhere nobody else wants to live), you can negotiate for that $70-80 wRVU reimbursement. I got $60 in NY and I'm happy because there's a line of people behind me willing to take less to live there. My friend is going to the Midwest and stands to make 90th percentile, but you can bet he's not pulling that sitting on his butt at 7200 wRVUs. You still have to work. The big difference between gas and PM&R when starting out is employers can have you take anesthesia call to supplement that guaranteed salary when you have zero patient base. Which may get you a job over another specialty. Pay is the same from my experience.

Last edited:
$60 in the five boroughs for a starting grad? I'm calling bull****...