Interventional pain procedures and efficacy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

med2928

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am interested in finding out more about interventional pain and wanted to learn about the bread and butter procedures of the specialty. Does anyone have any good resources to go to? Also can anyone comment about the efficacy of procedures in alleviating pain?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I am interested in finding out more about interventional pain and wanted to learn about the bread and butter procedures of the specialty. Does anyone have any good resources to go to? Also can anyone comment about the efficacy of procedures in alleviating pain?

Thanks!

Ophtho residency wearing you down?

No, currently a med student. Roommate let me use his throwaway account so I didnt have to make my own. Guess it was used by other people as well since he is a med student.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pain management is chronic disease management.
Procedures are palliative and work for a limited duration to improve function and quality of life.
Do a rotation to get a taste of what we do. Choosing a specialty is like marrying a stranger because you don't truly know what its like until you have been doing it for a few years.

Reactions: 1 users
Pain management is chronic disease management.
Procedures are palliative and work for a limited duration to improve function and quality of life.
Do a rotation to get a taste of what we do. Choosing a specialty is like marrying a stranger because you don't truly know what its like until you have been doing it for a few years.

I plan on doing one at the beginning of 4th year. I tried looking at the ASIPP site for any resources to learn about the specialty but they didnt offer any. Are there any other places for students?

I plan on doing one at the beginning of 4th year. I tried looking at the ASIPP site for any resources to learn about the specialty but they didnt offer any. Are there any other places for students?

Look up fellowship programs in pain management and call around asking if they offer a rotation (even if only a week) for medical students. Alternatively see if you can do a month long rotation in anesthesiology and include a week or two of pain. It's important that you pick a good program, as the quality of training varies quite a bit and this will color your impression. Also, as with any specialty, the PP experience is waaaaaay different than an academic department.

In PP I have family medicine residents from the local hospital rotate through to learn about pain. I would be happy to take on a med student if we had a med school in town.

Hit up LobelSteve for a few weeks during your vacation

Reactions: 1 user
I would say pain procedures are highly efficacious in my hands... not sure about others though ;)

Reactions: 1 user