1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interview / Acceptance Ratio???

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Mike59, Aug 8, 2002.

1. Mike59

Mike59 Sweatshop FP in Ontario
    7+ Year Member

Out of curiosity, would any accepted SDN'ers mind posting how many interviews/acceptances they got? Iwould find it helpful since I've applied to about 20 schools and am not sure how much money is worth sinking into this process (secondaries, plane tickets, hotels, etc.).

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. chopsuey

chopsuey miss independent
    7+ Year Member

there's a thread out there on this, and i *think* it might involve stats also....try searching for it, or if i get a chance later, i'll find it and post a link.

good luck!

4. Shamthis- 5 interviews/0 accepts

5. DarksideAllstar

DarksideAllstar you can pay me in bud
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Last cycle I applied to 14 schools, interview offers at 6 (only went to 5), accepted to 4 schools (2 off the waitlist).

6. Adcadet

Adcadet Long way from Gate 27
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    this is sortof what you are getting at, and I hope it's helpful. The info is pulled from US News:

School Acept rate (out of state), interview rate, acept rate of those who interviewed (all in %)
    Jefferson: 4.04 6.96 58
    Dartmouth: 5.58 13 43
    U of Chicago Pritzker: 3.59 8 44.6
    CWRU: 4.7 10 46
    GW: 5.1 3.9 36.5
    Duke: 4.5 23.5 19.2
    Einstein: 7.4 19.4 38.4
    Mt Sinai: 4.8 13.4 36

So, as you can see, schools often interview a little less than double the percent that will eventually be accepted.

The problem is that nobody can predict what schools will want to interview you, even if we had your stats.

7. nuclearrabbit77

nuclearrabbit77 commercial sex worker
    7+ Year Member

i think if you get an interview your chance of admission ranges from 30-50%
    some schools have a large interview pool and are more selective after interviews, and some are more selective in giving interviews and will accept alot of the candidates

for example, columbia interviews a junkload...near a thousand i think..while northwestern interviews around 500
    it varies i guess

8. SMW

SMW Grand Member
    7+ Year Member

Here's the thread from last year's application cycle that tried to answer this question. Unfortunately, for some reason only the first page is viewable, which doesn't help at all.

I applied to 23 schools, got 9 pre-interview rejections, 14 interview invites, went to 13 (no mean feat from Alaska!), was rejected from 2 schools post-interview, accepted at 5 and waitlisted at 6 schools. I spent over $8000 on the whole application process. I ended up with an acceptance at the school where I first interviewed and which was also the highest-ranked school I applied to (and which was not my first choice for financial reasons) which did not come until I was almost done with my other interviews (I went on to do 3 other already -scheduled interviews, including my first choice). It was a grueling and expensive year!!!

9. Adcadet

Adcadet Long way from Gate 27
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    The range is at least 19 (Duke) to 58 (Jefferson). At least, that's the greatest range of the seven schools which has sent me secondaries so far.

10. oldman

oldman Senior Citizen
    Gold Donor 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    applied: 26
    interview offers: 10
    interviews taken: 6
    acceptances: 4
    waitlists: 2 (these are pretty much rejections)