Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Interview Advice - Glasses or Contacts?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by AceRockolla, Dec 13, 2001.

1. AceRockolla

AceRockolla Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Hi Everyone, I have my first interview at Colorado on Monday and I have a minor dilemma on my hands. I know this may sound trivial/narcissistic/vain, but I cannot decide if I should wear my glasses or contacts to the interview. I wear glasses 99% of the time, but in the photograph I sent to the school I am wearing my contacts. In fear of looking like a fake or looking like old man Rockolla, I thought it would be wise to wear my contacts, but since I wear glasses almost exclusively, I would likely feel more comfortable in glasses. What would you do? :confused: :cool:

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Mystique

Mystique The Procrastinator

Resident [Any Field]
    Ace,
    Just wear your glasses! In all honesty, it doesn't matter. Just go with what you wear 99% of the time, so you don't experience any discomforts w/ the contacts. If they're going to be so shallow that they make a decision based on your eyewear preferences, they're not worth your time.

Just my 2 cents...

4. locitamd

locitamd Senior Member

If you wear glasses 99& of the time, go with those. You'll be more comfortable and that will come through in the interview. Interviews are stressful enough and you don't want to add any unnecessary discomfort or stress. Med schools understand that many people take off their glasses for photos, and won't be surprised (or suspicious) to find you wearing them the day of the interview.

Congrats and good luck on the interview.

5. DesperatelySeekingMD

DesperatelySeekingMD Senior Member

Definitely wear the glasses if that is what you are most comforable in....at one of my interviews while the dean of students was speaking to us, one of the girls started tearing up and playing with her eyes and moving her contacts around in them while both of her eyes became bloodshot ...everyone was looking and the you could tell that the Dean was also bothered by it, because he lost his train of thought a couple of times. I felt bad for her, but the whole thing was really ridiculous.
    The best advice for an interview is be yourself and be comfortable...

6. CoffeeCat

CoffeeCat SDN Angel

Pre-Medical
    Wear glasses! Not only will you be more comfortable, but I think people unconsciously might think someone in glasses is more intelligent. It would be an interesting psych experiment to see whether or not people are judged more intellectual based on their eye-wear! Good luck.

7. The Fly

The Fly Senior Member

C'mon people--some in this forum are worried about not getting any interviews, period.

Glasses vs. contacts is totally an issue of personal preference and, as such, should remain a personal issue. . . ;)

8. ckent

ckent Banned
    Banned

I agree with the previous posters, glasses do make you look more intelligent and older or more mature (which is a good thing). If I didn't need to wear glasses, I would probably buy a fake pair and wear them all the time too because they also provide excellent eye protection.

9. jase133

jase133 Senior Member

DEFINITELY NO GLASSES!

That was what got me rejected last year at the interview stage... =)

Jokes aside, I'm serious.

10. YBee

YBee Member

I don't think it will make a difference in whether or not you are accepted.

11. Trek

Trek Grand Uranium Member

Perhaps wearing both will give you super vision and you'll be able to see through your interviewer's clothes and note the type of underwear they're wearing. Armed with that knowledge, you can blackmail them into accepting you on the spot (after they go and get the Dean of admissions and both come back to accept you). Make sure you post the intricate details. Take care --Trek

PS: It doesn't matter.

12. Atlas

Atlas Senior Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Glasses make you look smarter. I mean, without my glasses I don't look bright at all! With them, I at least LOOK like a supergenious!!! Go with spectacles.

13. colorado_1

colorado_1 Member

well, it depends . . . which will make you a better doctor -- glasses or contacts? if glasses or conatacts is your biggest worry and you can't decide for yourself, i just wonder how questions you'll have to ask other physicians before you can treat a case of strep throat.

look, i know i'm being a jerk, i just want to discourage the "what should i wear" stuff from these boards.

14. AceRockolla

AceRockolla Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Thank you to everyone that replied. I realize how trivial the whole thing is now and I think I will wear my glasses (or my glasses and contacts like Trek suggested :) ).

GG16: I totally agree with you and I hope I haven't sounded too shallow. I know there are some people on this board that have much more important worries, so I hope I haven't offended anyone with my remarks.

Colorado_1: Whoa, I am sorry I asked. I mentioned that it was a minor dilemma, but I guess I didn't make that clear enough. I haven't been losing any sleep over the question and I was just curious about what everyone else thought. If I offended you or anyone else, I apologize.

15. KG

KG Member

Actually, I was wondering the same thing, should I get an interview! (Just thinking ahead here.) The more intelligent part I can go for, with the glasses, but I don't think I need to look any older or more mature! The problem with contacts is that I'm afraid my wrinkles would be too obvious! :)

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. DNALadder2002

DNALadder2002 Senior Member

AceRockolla, I also wore contacts for pictures, but wore my glasses during interview and got in! So no worries.

18. jase133

jase133 Senior Member

i personally think you should look your best

if that's with glasses, then go for it

for those of us who wants to "get" in older/maturer/smarter look, doing it with glasses just isn't the way to do it.. it'll come across as not being genuine enough

19. Jamier2

Jamier2 SDN Hillbilly Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus

20. Szkwicz

Szkwicz Senior Member

1 interview with glasses = waitlisted
    1 interview with contacts = acceptance on a full tuition scholarship.

The contact lenses were key in my acceptance.

In all honesty though, I fretted over the same thing--one one hand, everyone says I look older, more mature, and more like a doctor in glasses and that that would give interviewers a positive first impression of me.
    I usually wear contacts and am more comfortable in them.
    Go with what you're comfortable with...but it is possible that glasses are cursed and the key to victory lies in wearing contacts to your interview. Best of luck!

21. lady in red

lady in red Senior Member

i think for men--glasses hold up for the stereotype in general, but women are more judged on appearance than perceived intelligence. so if you had no preference, i'd say to with contacts; if glasses are more comfy, do NOT experiment with anything on the day of the interview.

22. altaskier

altaskier Altaholics Anonymous 92'

Wear whatever you are used to wearing and whatever you are most comfortable in. It honestly doesn't make on bit of difference.

Ever skied Alta?