interview advice needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pcs

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i've tried to look thru the various listings for some advice, but thought i could re-post the topic.

i recently found out that i will be interviewing at UHS and des moines in a couple of weeks and am excited and very nervous. if anyone can share their wisdom with me... about your own experience or things you could suggest that i think about/prepare, i would be so so appreciative. thanx.

Members don't see this ad.

The most important thing and most probably the only thing you actually prepare for.... Why osteopathy and know little bit about history of osteopathy.
Goodluck :)

Yeah, I agree with Optimistic. Very important to know everything you can about osteopathy, and also be prepared to discuss why you want to be a doctor (most ask that question) and why you chose osteopathic medicine.

Be prepared to talk about anything you wrote in your essays or any weaknesses in your application and any health-care related experiences you may have had. One other thing I do to prepare is to read up on some of the most recent health-related news stories just in case. It's a long shot, but if a big news story comes out relating to medicine, you may get asked about it (John Q came out right before one interview and I made sure to watch it beforehand, needless to say, I had the opportunity to mention the movie during the interview).

Anyway, here's where I go to keep up with health-related news stories:

<a href="http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=index&cid=751&/?u" target="_blank">http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=index&cid=751&/?u</a>

Most of the interviews at DO schools are very laid back and I think you'll find that a few minutes into the interview you'll start to relax and go with the flow. Most people will tell you to be yourself, but I think it's more important to be your best.

Anyway, best of luck!

Here are some sites that you might find helpful:
<a href="http://medplaza.com/premed/index.php3" target="_blank">http://medplaza.com/premed/index.php3</a>
<a href="http://www.bestpremed.com/" target="_blank">http://www.bestpremed.com/</a>
<a href="http://www.interviewfeedback.com/" target="_blank">http://www.interviewfeedback.com/</a> (down right now)

Members don't see this ad :)
pcs--i was wondering when you were notified of your interviews at UHS and des moines. i'm waiting for those 2 schools, as well..been wait listed at des moines (pre-interview) and still waiting and getting very very anxious. i guess it's better then being totally written off and rejected as of yet. i'm starting to lose hope..

Don't believe the hype! UHS was a tough interview! Two doctors (one PhD and one DO)fired off questions to me and challanged all of my answers, and didn't crack a smile. I had one of the last interviews, so very late in the day when I was getting tired.
They asked about Dr. A.T.Still's principles, how I would use them in the future, where else I applied, philisophical questions-with no right answer, and tested my shadowing of an osteopath! I would READ your essays from your apps and be prepared to defend them!
Most of all be honest, and be yourself-stick to your answers even if they are challanged. I ended up getting accepted, and will be attending! I was so nervous because UHS was my first choice, and I really wanted to do well. Good luck! Try interviewfeedback.com.

thank u so much for the range of advice. EUROdocMOM... your feedback was initially kinda intimidating, but i'm appreciative cuz emotionz (fear) helps a person work harder sometimes. *smile* and brinkotears... i heard from des moines and UHS about a week and a half ago... the waiting game is painful, isn't it? i was pretty frenzied b/c i applied pretty late and i'm not sure if i have a realistic POV of what my chances are, but... i've learned that patience is a virtue (as painful as it is) and i hope good things come your way...

any additional interviewing advice would be greatly appreciated... good stuff so far... thank u all! i'm working on it!

Hi pcs--
First of all, congrats on your upcoming interviews! I just wanted to echo EUROdocMOM's comments...most DO school interviews are quite laid back, getting to know you type, but my interview at UHS was the most difficult I've had. Not that they weren't nice or anything, because my interviewers (2 PhDs) were very amiable (in a professional way), but some of the questions they asked threw me a bit. So definitely go in a little more prepared for that one.
My DMU interview, though, was the complete opposite--I basically just sat there and had a conversation with the interview panel, but they did most of the talking! Sometimes they would just talk amongst themselves, then look over to me to fill me in on what they were talking about (like the recent Hallowe'en party!)...it was kinda strange, but everyone there was SUPER friendly!

Good luck to you! :)

I don't know that I can add too much, but I do agree with the others about UHS. My interview was also a bit intimidating. Expect at least one of the interviewers to offer no feedback. This was the case in mine.

If approached with a topic they don't seem to agree with you on, stick to your guns. Don't change your answer once you get started saying it.

Read up on UHS. This helps to ask questions that will really make you appear interested in the school. Try to be original.

Stay calm and smile a lot. I think that is what helped me. I didn't let them make me appear flustered.

Also at UHS, enjoy the entire day. Everyone gives that advice, but it is so worthy of repitition. Observe the students, take in the environment, ask questions. UHS was my first choice, but the interview day truly sold it for me.

Let us know how it goes.

Hi Everyone,
I must agree with the advice given in the previous posts. I had my interview at UHS last month, and it went quite smoothly. And, while I wouldn't call it laid-back, I wouldn't call it intimidating either. Both of my interviewers acted very professionally and respectfully. I think it helped that I am a former Marine and one of my interviewers was in the Navy :) And, it is always a good sign when they take you into their confidence half way through the interview and feel comfortable enough to use a profanity or two to describe some bureaucratic aspect of the school they do not like :D
I will stress again the importance of not only knowing your reasons for choosing medicine and osteopathy, but also being able to articulate them concisely. I found it very helpful to say them aloud to myself.
As for being honest and being yourself, I cannot do anything but agree completely with what others have written. It worked wonders for me - I applied with a 3.0 cumulative GPA (but I am in a post-bacc program, too) and was asked about it, as expected. I did not BS at all, and told them straight up that when I started college I had no interest in academics whatsoever, and had no idea what I wanted to do with my life; that I had about a dozen W's on my transcript because I lost interest in classes half way through and dropped out; that I had F's on all my classes for one semester because I finally lost interest in school altogether, and dropped out. In short, I covered my application's weakness with as much clarity and honesty as I could muster. And, guess what! - that was the end of it. They did not even raise the issue again during the interview. Also, I think it is important not to exaggerate your experiences, accomplishments etc. Present everything for what it is worth, but have something significant to say about what you got out of your experiences. They are intelligent people and can see right through the fluff.
Good luck in your pursuits!

Hi pcs-

Just wanted to say congrats on your interviews :) ! I also have interviews at both of those schools. When are your interviews? Good luck!

hey flea girl... i interview 1st in kansas city on the 24th and then in des moines on the 26th. have u heard from either schools yet? what did you think about the schools?

i'm very thankful 2 ev'ryone who shared their thoughtz-n-stuff with me. i have a good idea now about how i should prepare 4 these interviewz and hopefully... with preparation, thingz'll go smoothly. thank u so so much!

Hi pcs,
I interview at UHS on the 15th, TUCOM on the 16th, and DMU on the 19th. So, I will be pretty slammed that week, hopefully I will survive :) ! Where else are you interviewing at? I have not heard too much from the schools other then the conformation letters...So, for me it is wait and see what happens.

Hi pcs,
I interview at UHS on the 15th, TUCOM on the 16th, and DMU on the 19th. So, I will be pretty slammed that week, hopefully I will survive :) ! Where else are you interviewing at? I have not heard too much from the schools other then the conformation letters...So, for me it is wait and see what happens.

Good luck everyone interviewing this month! I didn't mean to intimidate anyone, but everyone told me that my interview would be laid back, and when it wasn't I was totally thrown!!
Especially since my previous interviews were relaxed!
Well, once again, know your stuff about osteo and be confident in your answers! It is better to be over prepared than under prepared!
Good luck and hope to see you in August!