Interview after sending in the area email

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CaliforniaAppli

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are you views on receiving this type of interview?
Could it just be a courtesy interview?
Would I stand on equal grounds with everyone else?

Members don't see this ad.

What are you views on receiving this type of interview?
Could it just be a courtesy interview?
Would I stand on equal grounds with everyone else?

There's no problem with it. It works at some schools and not at others. It worked for me when I applied. I think it's nice because it actually shows some schools realize this process is expensive and time-consuming.

I don't think it really is a courtesy interview. If you are successful, I'm sure you would have gotten an interview anyway just a bit later. Though it wouldn't surprise me if schools were more receptive for better applicants. Another advantage is that it makes them look at your app quicker and earlier interview dates could lead to a better chance of acceptance.

This is all speculation though. The worst they can say is no. There are advantages for doing it and no downsides (unless you come across as arrogant or entitled in your email to them). You should have no qualms about trying.

It simply means that a school will pick up your file and decide on giving you an interview sooner than they would have. An obvious advantage is that you would be interviewing earlier than you normally would, and depending on the school's specific admissions process, that might give you a better shot at acceptance (vs waitlist). I wouldn't call it a "courtesy" invite. I don't see anything wrong with this kind of interview, because we all know that traveling is expensive and time consuming, so why not knock out a couple interviews in one swing?

Members don't see this ad :)
What would you put in the subject line of the email?
Would you put: "In the area email"? or nothing?

I would view receiving that kind of interview invitation with joy and elation.

Medical schools don't feel the need to offer courtesy just because someone is in the area. They liked you and saw an opportunity to make your interests and theirs both be served at the same time. Congratz!

how would you go about writing a letter like this?

i have an interview coming up and would like to send a letter to a neighboring school, but i would really only have one day open for them. do i just let them know of the day that i am free? am i asking for too much from the school?