Aug 23, 2016
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I have a few interviews from great fellowship spots but I know that I was either waitlisted or not in the first batch of invites. I have a bunch of interviews and need to cancel a few, so I'm trying to decide if it is worthwhile going to these programs that invited me off their waitlist. Although I'd be very happy at these places, I don't want to get my hopes up if my chances of ultimately matching are close to zero. Anyone have thoughts or opinions on this matter?

aProgDirector

Pastafarians Unite!
10+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
If they've offered you an interview, you have a chance. For fellowships, which are usually small, "fit" is very important. Even if your "academics" are somewhat less impressive than others, if you shine on your interviews you may rank higher than you expect.

That said, if "getting your hopes up" by interviewing and then not matching would be catastrophic to your ego, then don't interview. But I think that's a mistake -- take a chance!

OP
Y
Aug 23, 2016
Status
Resident [Any Field]
thank you very much for the advice. I will certainly go on these interviews and hope for the best. will also keep a few "safeties" to be conservative!

SS Normandy

5+ Year Member
Jan 20, 2014
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I've been waitlisted for interview at my top choice... is there anything I can do to get off the waitlist? I've had my chief speak to the PD of the program prior to getting waitlisted.

I've been waitlisted for interview at my top choice... is there anything I can do to get off the waitlist? I've had my chief speak to the PD of the program prior to getting waitlisted.
If you're genuinely interested in the program send a letter of interest. You've basically got nothing to lose. It may be too late now though.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

SS Normandy

5+ Year Member
Jan 20, 2014
Status
Resident [Any Field]
If you're genuinely interested in the program send a letter of interest. You've basically got nothing to lose. It may be too late now though.
I sent them a letter of interest, I think it's what got me my waitlist interview... out of options now?

I sent them a letter of interest, I think it's what got me my waitlist interview... out of options now?
You can always show up at the PD's doorstep

(jk please don't do that)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app