notApenguin

5+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 16, 2012
Status
Medical Student
So I feel that I can talk about myself well, and that I have a lot of interesting things to say. However, my current approach to answering interview questions, is to respond to each of them very specifically. However, I've been receiving feedback that I should group my answers together (even if some of them don't perfectly address the question) to ensure that I hit all my points because interviewers are not likely to ask me very many questions.
If I answer with shorter, more direct responses, can I assume that interviewers will ask me follow up questions so I can elaborate on my response? Or should I just spill everything I can that's related to the question because I might not get another chance to address those topics/qualities? If anyone could give me some insight to this it'd be much appreciated. Thanks.

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
There is no guarantee that you will get a follow up question. Answer the question, and don't add more than is asked for.
If I answer with shorter, more direct responses, can I assume that interviewers will ask me follow up questions so I can elaborate on my response?

Bad idea. This will make an interviewer think that you can't understand simple questions. If I ask you about, say, the three top issues in American Medicine today, I do NOT want to hear your solutions to them.

Or should I just spill everything I can that's related to the question because I might not get another chance to address those topics/qualities?

Reactions: notApenguin