Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Interview Apperance

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by Hawkeye, Feb 12, 2000.

1. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Senior Member

Has anyone ever heard of what the "acceptable apperance" for a male at an interview. I know that a suit is a must, but what about earrings? I, myself have two small diamond studs that I wear, one in each ear. I was wondering if I should consider removing these before my interview or since these are "me" I should wear them and present to the committee the "actual me." I have heard in the past that earrings on a male were a major NO-NO, but has this changed recently. Thank you to all for your advice.

Go Hawks
    "Building a foundation" -Coach Alford

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Robb1818

Robb1818 Member

Hawkeye, I wouldn't do it. You've made it to the interview stage. Why do anything to jeopardize your chances now? Who knows..you may get a totally cool interviewer who has 5 earings in one ear and one in the tongue. But, what if you don't? What happens if you get some 'old timer' who is totally conservative and doesn't maintain the same views you do? Then you're out of luck.

Good luck to you!

4. ana

ana

Hawkeye,
    you will have plenty of time to be the "real you" once you have been accepted. The medical community is still (by and large) a conservative and conventional one.

Be a standout in terms of your academic achievements, personal accomplishments, and communications skills. Don't try to do it with jewelry.

Ana

5. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Senior Member

I am only a sophomore right now, but I am just making reference to the future. I am not trying to sound "If they dont like me for me then screw it," I am just wondering what others think. But thank you both for your responses.

6. drhenderson

drhenderson Senior Member

Takem out. Put them back on your first day of med school.

------------------
    Jim Henderson, MD of MedicalStudent.net
    http://www.medicalstudent.net

7. OldManDave

OldManDave Fossil Bouncer Emeritus
    Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
    Hawkeye,

Why risk all those years of hard work on something as trivial as jewelry. Myself, I have had my L ear pierced since I 19 [I'm 33 now] and I wear my ear-ring daily...but, I took it out for all of my med school interviews. Like it or not, this profession is by and large VERY conservative and traditional.

Wait until you are "in" to express your individuality.

[​IMG]

------------------
    'Old Man Dave'
    KCOM, Class of '03

Nothing Risked, Nothing Gained!!