Program-Specific Info / Q's interview at Alabama State University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ot_pedi10

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. I recently got an interview March 9th for the MOT program at Alabama State University. I was wondering if there is anyone already in the program or went through interview process that could get me an idea of what the interview is like, what to expect, questions they asked, etc?Any tip would be helpful. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello. I recently got an interview March 9th for the MOT program at Alabama State University. I was wondering if there is anyone already in the program or went through interview process that could get me an idea of what the interview is like, what to expect, questions they asked, etc?Any tip would be helpful. Thanks!
I also have an interview so I will be following this thread to find out more about the program. :)

Hello. I received an email as well. What I have been doing is watching youtube videos. So far that has helped.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Are the YouTube videos questions they would ask in general?@1234ZXCV

Are the YouTube videos questions they would ask in general?@1234ZXCV
Yes! I have never been so nervous before. I would definitely make sure you can answer the question, " what is occupational therapy?".

I am super nervous too girl. This will be my first graduate school interview. What interview day did you sign up for? @1234ZXCV

Mine is Thursday, March 9th. Did you get an email last Friday saying if you didn't schedule the interview to do so? @1234ZXCV

Mine is Thursday, March 9th. Did you get an email last Friday saying if you didn't schedule the interview to do so? @1234ZXCV
I did. Did you receive an email this morning? Also, do you live close to Montgomery?

I did receive the email. No I do not live close to Montgomery. I actually live out of state and will be traveling down there with my mom for the interview. Do you? @1234ZXCV

I did receive the email. No I do not live close to Montgomery. I actually live out of state and will be traveling down there with my mom for the interview. Do you? @1234ZXCV
I live about an hour away from Montgomery. Im scared about the writing section of the interview. Safe travels though.

me too. apparently, I found out from another student that the interview that the actual interviw is only 10-15 minutes long. If you want to email me to talk about this interview together, you can. just let me know

me too. apparently, I found out from another student that the interview that the actual interviw is only 10-15 minutes long. If you want to email me to talk about this interview together, you can. just let me know
Yes! What is your email address?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm also nervous about the interview! My interview is scheduled for Friday. Hopefully I can get it together by then.

I'm also nervous about the interview! My interview is scheduled for Friday. Hopefully I can get it together by then.
Good luck! Its a slow process for me.

My interview is scheduled for Friday. I was wondering if any of you got interviews or have been interviewed by other OT programs? I know this is a nervous time for all of us but we can get through it.

My interview is scheduled for Friday. I was wondering if any of you got interviews or have been interviewed by other OT programs? I know this is a nervous time for all of us but we can get through it.
This is my first interview. Good Luck!

I had an interview last year. Questions I was asked were Why do you want to be an OT, what do you think is one of the most difficult things about being an OT, Where do you see yourself in 10 years, What traits do you have to have to be an OT. You are interviewed by 3 people at once, a faculty person, a 2nd year student in the program, and an additional OT that has graduated from the university. The interview part is 7 minutes long. The essay writing portion is after the interview, and you have to choose one from about 7 questions to answer and you have an hour to answer it.

@bwhitt will they be asking us questions in a group setting or individually?

Has anyone applied to other OT programs besides ASU?

i applied to CSU, maryville University, university of Memphis, and Breneau university

Individually
Has anyone applied to other OT programs besides ASU?

I applied to South Alabama, and UAB and got denied by both. Got waitlisted at Gannon University. I applied to Nova Southeastern University's OTD program in Tampa and got accepted. I have an interview with St. Augustine on the 11th, and had an interview with Barry University in Miami last week. I have another interview at Belmont University in Nashville on April 5th. I also applied to Georgia State University, and University of Florida but haven't heard anything from them yet.

Last edited:
Everyone who had an interview with ASU how do you think it went??

The waiting game now that is the hard part.

Last edited:
I think it went better than expected. I'm just nervous because three weeks is such a short turnaround.

How was the Barry interview? Is there a writing sample? What questions did they ask?

How was the Barry interview? Is there a writing sample? What questions did they ask?
Barry University interview was really good. They sent me an acceptance letter 2 weeks after. It was very laid back. I was interviewed by two faculty, one that was there and another that was Skyped in. They asked the basic questions, why OT, what traits to you have to be an OT , etc. the only thing that is holding me back is the distance. The ASU interview was much more nerve racking for me. I think because it is my #1 choice. The only question they asked that I thought was a little crazy was "if you were a bone in the body, what would you be and why?" I mean...I was able to answer it, but feel like if you only have 8 minutes to get to know someone that is interviewing, why is that one of your top questions to ask? Anyway, now I just wait and see?...

Reactions: 1 users
Barry University interview was really good. They sent me an acceptance letter 2 weeks after. It was very laid back. I was interviewed by two faculty, one that was there and another that was Skyped in. They asked the basic questions, why OT, what traits to you have to be an OT , etc. the only thing that is holding me back is the distance. The ASU interview was much more nerve racking for me. I think because it is my #1 choice. The only question they asked that I thought was a little crazy was "if you were a bone in the body, what would you be and why?" I mean...I was able to answer it, but feel like if you only have 8 minutes to get to know someone that is interviewing, why is that one of your top questions to ask? Anyway, now I just wait and see?...

Sorry I forgot to answer, but yes there was a writing sample. They asked me to write about a professor I didn't like or agree with and why?

Did you interview at ASU on Thursday or Friday?

Mine was on Thursday. It seems like they have a long turn around. Supposed to let us know if we are accepted by April 28th..
I was told March 30th during my interview on Friday. I think she mixed up the dates and she never caught her mistake until then. Plus, the enrollment deposit is due on May 1st. The April 28th deadline doesn't leave much time to send in the deposit.

I was told March 30th during my interview on Friday. I think she mixed up the dates and she never caught her mistake until then. Plus, the enrollment deposit is due on May 1st. The April 28th deadline doesn't leave much time to send in the deposit.
Thank you so much for the clarification! I went to Dr. Denham's office after the interview and asked her about there only being like 2 days between acceptance and the date the deposits were due, and she said, "Oh you will have a month to think about it." I think we were both confused! haha

ot_pedi10 when is your interview with brenau?

Can y'all post stats please , I plan on applying for 2018 but want to make sure I'm good enough

And the wait continues....... :( April 12th seems like forever.

Sorry I forgot to answer, but yes there was a writing sample. They asked me to write about a professor I didn't like or agree with and why?
How did you like st. Augustines campus? I'm thinking about applying there next year.

How did you like st. Augustines campus? I'm thinking about applying there next year.

I loved it! I really like the location! The faculty and staff were well prepared and were so helpful. The interview was very relaxed and everyone was very encouraging. I just got notification of my acceptance this past week. I would highly recommend applying.

I loved it! I really like the location! The faculty and staff were well prepared and were so helpful. The interview was very relaxed and everyone was very encouraging. I just got notification of my acceptance this past week. I would highly recommend applying.
I'm thinking about it. I'm just missing 2 prerequisites so I might get them done first. Were you missing anything? Are you going to be attending st. Augustine?

Did you apply for the flex program?

Congrats on the acceptance!! Did you apply for on-campus or flex fall start at St. Augustine?