Interview at CCOM, KCOM, or LMU-DCOM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

If it were your choose, which one would you go to?

• CCOM

Votes: 10 50.0%
  • KCOM

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • LMU-DCOM

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Stop being neurotic, none of them

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BunnyMan17

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So yup, this is for ~10/7 and I can really only do one. September is already full interview wise and these plane tickets are starting to add up/I'm missing a lot of class as it is. This is what I'm thinking

1) CCOM: Flights are slightly cheaper and the school is fairly close to the airport. COMLEX seems to be better than at DCOM. I still have to fly vs. driving
2)KCOM: I've met a few people who go here and they said really good things about it but it has the more expensive plane tickets and all the airports are ~3 hours away. COMLEX pass rate seems to hover around the national average.
3) LMU-DCOM: I can drive here (~5 hours) but the COMLEX pass rates seem to be a bit on the lower side.
4) Alternatively I could just not go to any of these. I have a handful of DO interviews and 2 MD II. I just feel nervous backing off before I have an acceptance in hand

Let me know what y'all think or if any of my points are wrong. I wish I could do all of them but ya know... money and life get in the way of things. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Don't base your decision on comlex pass rates. A good student will do well wherever they go. Established rotations at teaching hospitals should be the deciding factor.

Reactions: 2 users
Don't base your decision on comlex pass rates. A good student will do well wherever they go. Established rotations at teaching hospitals should be the deciding factor.

That's a good point, thanks. You don't happen to know anything about those school's rotations, do you?

Members don't see this ad :)
That's a good point, thanks. You don't happen to know anything about those school's rotations, do you?

Check out the thread about rating DO schools, the one where current students write up all the info about it. You'd probably ahve to dig through the info for a while to find something about the rotations but that's okay

I vote KCOM.

Not CCOM due to tuition. I am cancelling my LMU rotation due to proximity of the school regarding places for my wife to work (would have attended but fortunate enough to have an acceptsnce at this point). KCOM is more established as well. Both appear to be pretty rural (have not been to either campus, though).

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
So yup, this is for ~10/7 and I can really only do one. September is already full interview wise and these plane tickets are starting to add up/I'm missing a lot of class as it is. This is what I'm thinking

1) CCOM: Flights are slightly cheaper and the school is fairly close to the airport. COMLEX seems to be better than at DCOM. I still have to fly vs. driving
2)KCOM: I've met a few people who go here and they said really good things about it but it has the more expensive plane tickets and all the airports are ~3 hours away. COMLEX pass rate seems to hover around the national average.
3) LMU-DCOM: I can drive here (~5 hours) but the COMLEX pass rates seem to be a bit on the lower side.
4) Alternatively I could just not go to any of these. I have a handful of DO interviews and 2 MD II. I just feel nervous backing off before I have an acceptance in hand

Let me know what y'all think or if any of my points are wrong. I wish I could do all of them but ya know... money and life get in the way of things. Thanks!
O CCOM--Too Expensive
O LMU--Poor Clinical Rotations
O KCOM--By Default

Reactions: 2 users
O CCOM--Too Expensive
O LMU--Poor Clinical Rotations
O KCOM--By Default

Hmmm.... Okay, what if tuition doesn't matter? I'm doing HPSP so while I may be stuck in the bowels of an aircraft carrier at some point I don't have to worry about the tuition.

Hmmm.... Okay, what if tuition doesn't matter? I'm doing HPSP so while I may be stuck in the bowels of an aircraft carrier at some point I don't have to worry about the tuition.
Do a match list comparison to determine if CCOM is a superior choice. Negating tuition, you will also have a higher cost of living at CCOM as well. FYI, based on what I've heard, the match results at CCOM are not that remarkable. I haven't personally compared CCOM vs KCOM match lists though.

KCOM is legit. Interview there.

Do a match list comparison to determine if CCOM is a superior choice. Negating tuition, you will also have a higher cost of living at CCOM as well. FYI, based on what I've heard, the match results at CCOM are not that remarkable. I haven't personally compared CCOM vs KCOM match lists though.

Good idea, thanks!

KCOM match lists have been far better in my opinion than CCOM the last few years. Multiple matches into very competitive residencies. Ortho and Plastics at Mayo, 5+2 CT surgery at indiana, and a couple others that were impressive. CCOM is underwhelming. Especially for 70k

Reactions: 1 user
Do you mind sharing your stats?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Do you mind sharing your stats?

Yeah sure. 518, 3.52c, 3.44s. The gpas will go up a little in a few weeks when I update with a summer class. ECs are good, lots of volunteer work in and out of hospitals, leadership, mission work, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah sure. 518, 3.52c, 3.44s. The gpas will go up a little in a few weeks when I update with a summer class. ECs are good, lots of volunteer work in and out of hospitals, leadership, mission work, etc.

That is some legit stats! Work hard, stay humble, you'll be fine wherever! Gratz on all the interviews!!!

Reactions: 1 user
KCOM match lists have been far better in my opinion than CCOM the last few years. Multiple matches into very competitive residencies. Ortho and Plastics at Mayo, 5+2 CT surgery at indiana, and a couple others that were impressive. CCOM is underwhelming. Especially for 70k

Match lists are a really crappy way of choosing a school tbh. The being 70k a year + in high rentago are more pertinent things however.

That being said KCOM isn't for me and it's not for many people. It's very literally in the middle of nowhere, much of what has made me mentally health as a person throughout medical school has been due to being in a big city.

Compare the preclinical curricula of KCOM to CCOM and see which matches you best.

Then the decision becomes more about city vs rural living.

I'd personally go KCOM bc you'd live like a king in kirksville on hpsp.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Great stats, good luck in the cycle

Have you seen LMU? Lol its literally in the middle of nowhere

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Oh I know, but quality in education is also important to me and LMU's rotations leave a little to be desired. I would definitely go there if it was my only acceptance though.

KCOM has everything you could want in a med school and rivals many MD schools (as do other DO schools like KCU, MSU, DMU). Its only problem is being very rural and people not taking a closer look at it. It's the only DO school with a hospital attached, it's the founding school with a great curriculum/faculty/support/etc., you have full 3rd and 4th year clinical rotations at one core site, great alumni network, most residencies and MDs know it since it's been around so long and everyone knows a DO from KCOM.

CCOM is just too damn expensive.

Thanks! Funny story... turned out not going to any of them as I would've had to sell a kidney and/or my firstborn to afford anymore plane tickets. So I decided to sell my soul to the Navy and go USUHS instead. Although I did interview at AZCOM and was quiet impressed. If CCOM is anything like it and you're okay with the massive sticker price then I highly recommend.