SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Interview at UMDNJ-SOM on 10/22

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by roger2004, Oct 19, 1999.

1. roger2004

roger2004 Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Sep 15, 1999
    New Jersey
    Has anyone interviewed here yet? When? High stress or relaxed atmosphere of interview committee? Any time to try to "sell yourself" to the committee? Any really TOUGH questions. Anyone know about the problem based learning program there? They seemed so nice on the phone when I had to make a schedule change and it is my state school, so I'm looking forward to it.
    All replies are very welcome.
    (it seems there isin't much dialogue going on about this school on this site and I wonder why?)
    Thanks!

------------------

rog

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Paul's Boutique

Paul's Boutique B====D 10+ Year Member

Jul 18, 1999
    Pomona CA
    I'm going to go out on a limb here, so look out!

I went to one of their open-houses back in ?April? (or was it May?...); I have to say that, based on the open house, I found it to be the least impressive of the schools I've seen, and I'll tell you why...

Throughout the presentation, the presenters (faculty/administration; actually, I think they were mostly (if not all) administrators) continually overexerted themselves trying to convince us (the prospective new students) that UMDNJ-SOM is the biggest and best school in the area; that their research endowment is the biggest (c'mon! You're trying to tell me that U. Penn's research budget is -smaller-??? No way.); that they have the -best- teachers and the -best- students around... you get the point.

Honestly, it felt like a bad sales pitch; I was both irritated and embarrassed (for them) at the same time. The most telling thing, for me (and it was evident to the other people in my group in the audience as well), was when the time came for the so-called "student panel." Normally, when med students are brought up on stage at an open house, it's an opportunity for the audience to ask them questions about their experiences and personal opinions of the school. However, during this particular open house, nearly every time a student was asked a question, the student would pass the question off to one of the administrators, who would (literally) jump up out of his chair and give the "party line" response. Who would want to become the type of person who kowtows to others for simple answers to simple questions?:

Audience Member: "Steve [a pseudonym, representing one of the med students on the stage], I was wondering: what do you think of the food here at UMDNJ?"

Steve: (looks towards the administrator)

Administrator: (jumps 4 feet in the air and does a 180-degree turn before landing) "Our students LOVE the food here! It's GREAT! It's NUTRITIOUS! It's the best food on the EAST COAST!"

(of course, I just made that up: but it illustrates my feelings of my experience of attending the open house at UMDNJ in April/May 1999.)

Yes, I do wonder why we don't hear more about UMDNJ on this site...

4. roger2004

Sep 15, 1999
    New Jersey
    Paul's Boutique,
    that's a rather sad commentary. Was there really nothing positive about the Open House? In all fairness, I haven't been to any, but I have spoken to two applicants who interviewed at UMDNJ-SOM and they were very favorably impressed by the faculty and students they met. One said if given the opportunity she would gladly attend. Where else did you attend an Open House? Were they really more informative or just presented in a more effective manner? Have you interviewed or perhaps even been accepted by other medical schools which really match your criteria for the best medical school to meet your vocational goals and personal medical philosophy.
    Are you unimpressed by the academic reputation and programs offered at UMDNJ-SOM? Maybe SOM is just not a good fit for you. Not that I have a bias because I'm a resident, but I do think it's a very well respected school with excellent clinical/hospital affilitations. Maybe it was just the presentation that turned you off? Guess I'll have a better feel for the place once I interview. Thanks for your comments.

------------------

rog

5. RDO

RDO Member 10+ Year Member

Jun 27, 1999
    New York, NY
    I had my interview at SOM yesterday and I was very impressed. It's true that they do some shameless advertising, but I didn't find it too offensive. The school itself is great and everyone seemed really happy. If you get an interview, you have a great shot. Also, they're VERY quick in making their decisions. The way it worked out, the committee met today to discuss yesterday's interview and my candidacy. I got a phone call from the admissions director tonight, but I won't find out until tomorrow if I got in (I got home too late to call back). I am very excited and would DEFINITELY attend if I get in. I'll keep you posted.

6. Naraku

Naraku Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Oct 1, 1999
    New Jersey
    They call you to let you know if you were accepted?! I got a call this afternoon... but I didn't get in until after 5pm. How am I supposed to get to sleep tonight? [​IMG]

Paige

7. Doctor TRuth

Doctor TRuth Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Oct 18, 1999
    washington, D.C., U.S.A
    Naraku, congrats on your acceptance!

8. roger2004

Sep 15, 1999
    New Jersey
    Paige (akaNaraku) and RDO

THEY CALL YOU TO LET YOU KNOW IF YOU'VE BEEN ACCEPTED?
    Is this usual? I thought it was done by mail.
    WERE YOU ACCEPTED? AND WHEN DID YOU FINALLY SPEAK TO THEM?
    It's sounds good for you both.
    CONGRATS

------------------

rog

9. Naraku

Oct 1, 1999
    New Jersey
    Much as I would love to accept that thanks... I don't know yet!!! I returned the phone call this morning, but I was told (very sympathetically) that I would have to call back on Monday! Right now, I'm trying to convince myself that it was just a random file question. (It's safer that way.) Is this really how they let people know that they're accepted? [​IMG]

Paige

10. Henry

Henry Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Dec 30, 1998
    I have once met an UMDNJ student and she told me that the 4th year elective rotation is very limited in UMDNJ? If I remember correctly, her elective is only 2 months long. I want to know if this is true.
    Can anyone give me the correct information.

One thing I have to agree is, there is not that many NJ students actively involve in this forum. I wonder why?

------------------
    NSU 2002
    ([email protected]@-)

11. RDO

Jun 27, 1999
    New York, NY
    I couldn't reach them either. I have to call back Monday. Aye!

12. Naraku

Oct 1, 1999
    New Jersey

RDO-

At least I'll know who to blame if I get a busy signal on Monday morning. [​IMG] Best of luck!

Paige

13. RDO

Jun 27, 1999
    New York, NY
    Hey Paige (Naraku),
    I got accepted at UMDNJ! I'm assuming you did also since you got the phone call. So congrats! What did you think of the school? Also, do you know if there's going to be a deposit? I haven't gotten accepted anywhere else yet, and I liked the school a lot. However, I have some other interviews lined up and I don't want to withdraw from all other schools and possibly miss out on a place I like better (although UMDNJ is the nicest one I've seen so far).

14. Naraku

Oct 1, 1999
    New Jersey
    RDO-

Congrats! I was accepted, too (yay!). This is my first acceptance. I'm going to accept other interviews (if they're offered) depending on where they are and how much I really want to go there. I heard from Nova (the day that I finally spoke to Dr. Wallace), but I'm going to turn them down... I really don't need to fly to Florida, and I _loved_ UMDNJ-SOM! There may be a deposit, but I think that it's cheap ($100?). I could be wrong though. What did you think of it?

Paige (still bouncing in glee)

15. RDO

Jun 27, 1999
    New York, NY
    Paige,

Like I said, I loved the school. I haven't seen any other osteopathic schools, but I can't imagine better. Especially if you're interested in Family Med (like me). I would like to know more about it, though. Unfortunately, as has been stated, there just aren't any SOM people on this site EVER. Maybe it's a NJ thing. I don't know, I'm not from NJ, but everyone else interviewing that day was and they all seemed like great people to spend four years with. Also, I liked that the class is only 75 people. I looked in a Barron's from 1997 and it says there are like 200+ people in the first year class--boy are they wrong! I think that number (whatever it was) was actually the entire school's enrollment. If you know anything about Stratford (good or bad) or anything about UMDNJ-SOM I might not have gotten from my visit, please let me know. That goes for anyone who reads this!

-RDO

16. Naraku

Oct 1, 1999
    New Jersey

You're right- I haven't seen anyone from SOM here at all. Too bad... I really liked the small class size. It could be a problem if you really didn't like anyone there, but everyone there seemed so relaxed that I think (hope) that it won't be a problem. Stratford seemed okay... a typical suburb (the guide recommended having a car), but Philly is only ten miles away and (I've heard) the train station is close to the campus. The D.O. who wrote me a recommendation is an alum and the one thing he kept repeating was how much _fun_ he had there. That impressed me. [​IMG]

Paige

17. Linda

Linda Member 10+ Year Member

Dec 21, 1998
    s.plainfield, nj
    Rog,
    Well.... how did the interview go??

Linda

18. roger2004

Sep 15, 1999
    New Jersey
    Linda,
    the interview went really well. It lasted over a half hour and I felt I was able to present myself well. Not a stress type atmoshpere, but I was nervous anyway. No wacky questions, just the usual ones you'd expect and I did get to ask some questions as well. It seems the first two years just hit the basic sciences and get you ready for the Boards, which they say have a very HIGH first time pass rate. (last years class had a 100% pass rate) This will sound trite, but it really seemed like they just wanted hear what I had to say about my experiences and expectations. I'll take that as a positve sign. They did ask if I had been offered other interviews or an acceptance anywhere else. I saw this as a good opportunity to express how much I was interested in SOM. Even though I had sent in a deposit to secure my seat at the other school, they seemed to understand by the very nature of the application process, this was a reasonable thing to do as the process is so full of uncertainty. I did make it very clear I was SOLD on UMDNJ and felt it was a GREAT place. My family is in the area and right now I think I would like to stay and practice here. At least initially. If offered a seat, I told them I would accept. Although there doesn't seem to be much organized campus life, I liked the program and the people I met seemed nice and content to be there. Maybe not as collegiate and enthusiastic a feeling as expressed by the student community at UNECOM (which impressed me more than I expected, but it's so cold and far from home), but I believe for me, UMDNJ is a good choice. I did get to talk to one of the student council vice presidents at SOM. She loved the school and was actually more forthcoming than my student host. So maybe my impression of the students at SOM was too limited to draw any conclusions. I still like the idea of a supportive, cohesive, active student body even if it is a medical school. I won't know if I'll be offered a seat until around Thanksgiving but I have my fingers crossed.
    Unfortunately. I have yet to hear anything from PCOM. If offered an interview, I still would go. Have you any idea how far along in the interview process they are? When they began and how many students a week they are seeing? I know of one poster who was recently offered a seat. I don't know if they are just slow with their interviews or if I just don't fit their profile. It's strange, because from all that I learned about the school's new entrant stats, including my having a good reference from my DO who is an alumnus, I felt I had a good chance. And not as good a chance at the other four schools that offered me interviews. Go figure! I'm just glad I have the insurance of that seat for next year, and I'll see what the other three schools decide. Who knows, maybe I'll hear from PCOM yet. If you have any info on that issue, I'd appreciate hearing from you.
    How are your studies going at PCOM? Is it brutal - frequent tests - any patient contact or to soon for that? Is there life outside of the classroom at PCOM? Take care and hope you have time to reply.

------------------

rog

[This message has been edited by roger2004 (edited 10-30-1999).]

19. RDO

Jun 27, 1999
    New York, NY
    I was offered admission at UMDNJ-SOM and now I have an interview at NYCOM. However, you have to give them $60 to fill out their 2ndary, which you do at the interview. I loved UMDNJ-SOM and will definitely be happy there. So does anyone know how NYCOM compares to UMDNJ? Is it worth it to pay and go on this interview? Thanks.

-RDO

20. jdg

jdg

Can those of you who interviewed at UMDNJ-SOM please tell me when your app was complete? My app was complete in the begining of October, and I still haven't heard about my status. Also, if anyone is interested in posting their stats, I would also appreciate it. I personally did not have a good undergrad experience. Low GPA. Anyway, I went on to get an M.S. in biology with a 3.7 gpa. MCATs are 9,9,9. I also have 8 years of work experience in pharmaceutical R&D, and good volunteer experience. Anyone care to comment on my chances of getting accepted at a DO school. I applied to 7 osteo schools. By the way, I'm 29 years old.

21. RDO

Jun 27, 1999
    New York, NY
    jdg,

my stats are 3.75 GPA, 30N MCAT (all 10's) and I was accepted at SOM. Also, I go to an Ivy League school, which they said helps. I think you have an excellent shot at getting in at UMDNJ. Your numbers are good and you have great experience. At my interview, they explicitly said they are receptive to older applicants, which isn't true everywhere. Although at most osteo schools I think this is the case. I sent my app out around the endo of August/beginning of Sept and had my interview about a month and a half later. One thing to note is that getting an interview means A LOT. They only interview about 200 and accept 120 for a class of 75-80. They really want someone interested in osteopathy. In my interview, they were very forward: asked about other schools I applied to and what my first choice is. As far as I can tell, you seem like a perfect osteo school candidate. Seven schools, huh? I hope you have the time and money to travel!

-RDO

22. RDO

Jun 27, 1999
    New York, NY
    jdg,

my stats are 3.75 GPA, 30N MCAT (all 10's) and I was accepted at SOM. Also, I go to an Ivy League school, which they said helps. I think you have an excellent shot at getting in at UMDNJ. Your numbers are good and you have great experience. At my interview, they explicitly said they are receptive to older applicants, which isn't true everywhere. Although at most osteo schools I think this is the case. I sent my app out around the endo of August/beginning of Sept and had my interview about a month and a half later. One thing to note is that getting an interview means A LOT. They only interview about 200 and accept 120 for a class of 75-80. They really want someone interested in osteopathy. In my interview, they were very forward: asked about other schools I applied to and what my first choice is. As far as I can tell, you seem like a perfect osteo school candidate. Seven schools, huh? I hope you have the time and money to travel!

-RDO

23. Naraku

Oct 1, 1999
    New Jersey
    jdg-

My application was completed by mid-Septemeber, I was offered an interview for mid-October, and I was accepted last week. [​IMG] I attend Cornell (which is my rather pathetic excuse for my 3.2), and I had a 29 (11V 9B 9P) MCAT with a fair amount of personal and volunteer health-related experience.

Don't worry about not having heard from them yet- I'm sure that they're still working through the applications, and your stats sound great! My (uneducated) guess is that you're going to start hearing from schools pretty soon. [​IMG]

Best of luck,
    Paige

24. tnkd

tnkd Junior Member 10+ Year Member

Jul 1, 1999
    I have an interview at UMDNJ-SOM on Nov. 22nd (yay). Does anyone else have an interview there on the same day?

25. jdg

jdg

TNKD:
    When were you notified about your interview? I hope to be hearing anyday now from UMDNJ-SOM. I got a call from them about a week ago stating that my app was going to the committee for review. Also, if you don't mind revealing your stats, could you post your MCATs and GPA? Good Luck!

JDG

[This message has been edited by jdg (edited 11-16-1999).]

26. Yosh

Yosh Livin' in the WINDY CITY 10+ Year Member

Oct 25, 1999
    NW Indiana
    Anyone heard from NYCOM yet? I haven't heard a thing...I met with the Dean over the summer...but haven't heard anything since...???

27. RDO

Jun 27, 1999
    New York, NY
    I had my interview at NYCOM yesterday (nice school overall). They have just started interviewing