1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Interview at UNECOM on 10/28

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by roger2004, Oct 5, 1999.

1. roger2004

roger2004 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Will be interviewing at UNECOM on 10/28 (not 11/28 as I said in error before!) and wondered if anyone had any comments on what their interview experience was like. Also trying to get some info on specific re the curriculum there ie.
    1. Is there any "hands on" contact with patients in your first year? Do they use surrogate patients in order to teach students certain procedures and examination methods in any of the four years - I've heard this is done at NOVA
    2. Do they have a preceptorship or physican mentor program offered in a clinical setting in the first year?
    3. Any Problem Based Learning used in first year courses or is it all didactic/lecture type classes in a large group?
    4. How is the housing situation and does it get as cold as I think it does?
    5. ANYTHING REALLY UNIQUE ABOUT THE CURRICULUM OR FACILITIES which is not mentioned in the literature or on the web site which may be helpful to know about. I want to be prepared for the interview and would like to have some questions ready.
    6. Any questions about Managed Care or Rural Medicine come up at the interview - any very far out questions? I been to Interviewfeedback.com but am just checking!
    7. Is it as beautiful as it looks? I'm used to being near the Atlantic and the pictures are impressive.
    8. Anyone know if you must travel a great distance in the 3rd and 4th years for rotations? And any info on HOSPITAL AFFILIATIONS for internships?
    9. All words of wisdom are appreciated, including making BREVITY one of my goals.
    10. Is Oct 28th a fairly early date? I hear they respond fairly quickly which is very merciful of them. Anyone accepted yet? I hear it's a GREAT SCHOOL.

------------------

rog

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Mayqswet

Mayqswet Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Rog,

Check out this website: http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/beyond/gradrank/med/gdmedt1.htm

According to it, in 1998, UNE accepted 78% of the people they interviewed. Also, an October interview means good things.

Please email about your impression with the school, people, area, etc. I'm interviewing there on 11/11.

My email is: [email protected]

Thanks!

------------------
    Phillip
    Class of 2004 (somewhere)
    Happiness isn't having what you want, it is wanting what you have.

4. Pepper

Pepper Member
    10+ Year Member

They started interviewing the second week of September. They interview on tuesdays, thursdays, and saturdays. They interview on average 8 people each of those days and its been as high as 14 on some saturdays. They have already accepted students for next year's class. Good luck to you both.

5. EJS

EJS
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I live about 50 minutes south of UNECOM, so obviously hope to get in there. But, I visited last march and it is beautiful. It's right on the coast, and everything is so Maine, and quaint. Just thought I would let you know.

6. roger2004

roger2004 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

EJS,
    Thanks for your reply. I hear it is a beautiful area and a great school. I'm looking forward to the interview. Have you heard from them yet - will you be interviewing soon or have you already?
    If you have interviewed already, how did it go?

------------------

rog

7. sa1

sa1 Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

hi, I was accepted to UNECOM (2004) but unfortunately I have opted for a different school. UNECOM is an excellent school and it is among the best for OMM (to the best of my knowledge). At my interview, one of the interviewers said that they had recently placed a student in the Mayo Clinic. Good luck at your interview!

8. roger2004

roger2004 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Thanks sa1,
    when were you interviewed at UNECOM and when did you receive your acceptance? By the way, where did you decide to go? And why not UNECOM if I may ask. It has a great reputation. Thanks for the information and Good Luck to you where ever you attend next year!

------------------

rog

9. jdaasbo

jdaasbo Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

hi,

I interviewed and was accepted to UNECOM when i applied two years ago. I thought the school was great, had a really comfortable and thought provoking interview. Liked the facilities a lot, yes they have a very good OM program. Housing there is really cheap.

The main reason i didn't go there (and it was a very hard thing to turn them down) was the fact that 3rd and 4th year rotations are all over the place, NJ, NY, PA, OH, etc. You have to travel a bunch, and if things are still the same there are not a whole lot of rotations actually in Maine.

Some other pluses are that school has a systems based curriculum and they have a really small class size. All the students I have met there have been really quite nice people.

Good luck,

Johan Aasbo
    MSII CCOM

10. roger2004

roger2004 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Thanks Johan for the information. Do you have any choice in these 3rd and 4th rotation sites or the locations simply assigned. If I remember from their literature, they may be assigned in the 3rd year and selected where possible in the 4th. It's a good point to ask about - I'll have to look into it. Congrats on being a MS2 at CCOM

------------------

rog

11. jdaasbo

jdaasbo Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

they assign third and fourth year sites by lottery i think. You specify your first, second, third choices, etc and then they tell you where you are going.
    I asked them this question when i was there, and if my memory serves me, this is how it was (is).

Johan

12. roger2004

roger2004 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Johan,
    thanks again for the helpful information in regard to the clinical rotations at UNECOM. This is a question I hope to have clarified when I go for the interview. It might be a problem for some students, certainly another expense with additional traveling required. On the other hand it could also be an interesting experience. You're at a great school, know you've got to be BUSY - I appreciate your finding the time to reply.

------------------

rog

13. sa1

sa1 Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

hey, it was a difficult decision. I have opted to go to CCOM next fall. I had narrowed it down to UNECOM and CCOM, I even left a deposit at UNECOM. I was actually interviewed on Sept. 9th and I was accepted exactly one week later.

14. roger2004

roger2004 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

sa1
    you really interviewed EARLY and got an acceptance in a week! That's grea!. If I could ask, what was the amount of the deposit that you were required to send in to comfirm your acceptance? If I should be lucky enough to be offered a seat I wanted to know the amount they require and if it is all nonrefundable. I have a chance at my state school which is much more economical for a resident, but I won't know for a while. So there is a chance I could be in the same position. I am impressed with UNECOM and I am sure I could be happy there if that's how it worked out.
    Congrats and Good Luck to you at CCOM next fall. It must be great to have the application process behind you so early in the cycle. ENJOY!

------------------

rog

15. Rascal

Rascal New Member

I sent in my secondary to UNECOM in mid-Sept. and I was wondering how long before they notify of interview or denial. It seems as though many of you have had many interviews already. I have just completed my first two: CCOM and KCOM. I want a strong OMM education. Is it likely that UNECOM would interview someone from the Midwest? I welcome a reply. Thanks.

Cheryl
    (I only used Rascal as a user name)

------------------

16. roger2004

roger2004 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Rascal,
    I sent in my secondary on 8/25 and received a letter for an interview which was dated 9/13. The interview date is 10/28 so I can't comment on that yet. I can tell you that I've only gone to one other interview to date at WVSOM where I was given an acceptance about one week later. This Friday, 10/22, I have an interview at my state school. As far as UNECOM interviewing someone from the Midwest, I'm sure that wouln't be an issue. It is true they give a preference to residents of the New England area and those planning to practice in New England, but there is a large percentage of students from outside that regiion as well. It seems they look at the bigger picture, including grades, MCAT, work and extracurricular activities, references, the content of your essay, you get the idea. I'm not from New England, but other than a MCAT score which was not as high as I would have liked, my resume was fairly solid. You've had two interviews already so you can be sure you have met the academic criteria for medical school. That is a GOOD sign. I say DON'T WORRY, it is still early as you sent back your secondary almost one month later than I did. By the way, I understand UNECOM is very strong in their OMM department so your interest in that should help you when that interview finally arrives. GOOD LUCK ,it shouldn't be much longer. !

------------------

rog

17. sa1

sa1 Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

sorry roger, I haven't been on in a while...the initial deposit is $500 non-refundable. You have 21 days from the day you sign the certified mail. After that, you have 60 days from the day you sign for the mail to give them $1000 ($900 REFUNDABLE)...I hope that helps...Good luck!

18. roger2004

roger2004 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

sa1
    thanks for the info. I'm still waiting to hear.

------------------

rog

19. Mayqswet

Mayqswet Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Anyone going to UNE next Thursday (11/11)?

------------------
    Phillip
    Class of 2004 (somewhere)
    Happiness isn't having what you want, it is wanting what you have.
    The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.