Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Interview at Utah: input needed

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by aquaboy, Oct 23, 2002.

1. aquaboy

aquaboy Surfer, sailor, swimmer!
    7+ Year Member

I just received my first interview invite to the University of Utah. I am excited because it's a pretty early interview considering I took the Aug MCAT. :) I was wondering if anyone had any input on the interview process there, preferably from this year? What types of questions do they ask? I heard that some interviewers ask a lot of ethics questions, etc. Any input will be appreciated because out of 280 instate applicants that they interview they only accept around 85; those aren't great odds:(

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. aquaboy

aquaboy Surfer, sailor, swimmer!
    7+ Year Member

4. republicandr

republicandr Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Aquaboy. Congratulations on getting an interview. :clap: I was invited to interview at Utah as well. I decided to withdraw from Utah because I was accepted at another school.

In general, from what I have read, the University of Utah gives challenging interviews. Make sure you read up on your ethics. The University of Washington has a great homepage on that:

http://eduserv.hscer.washington.edu/bioethics/topics/index.html

Other than that, make sure you know your application very well. (I have had 7 interviews at other schools, and every one of them asked me specific questions about something in my application). In general, the schools are looking to find out how you are as a person and whether you will fit in at their school. At the same time, they know that you may have multiple acceptances and they will want to attract you to their school.

I worked closely with the school while I was applying and found that in general staff are very friendly there.

Good luck on your interview!!! Best wishes.

5. ERob

ERob Member
    7+ Year Member

I received an interview last year at U of Utah. From what I remember, I wasn't ever asked an ethical question. The two interviewers (one faculty, one student) seemed more interested in my problem solving capabilities, support-system, research experience, and as mentioned above, my application. The faculty interview was much more comfortable, the students like to grill you about different things. I wouldn't be surprised if the students did some ethics grilling.

Good luck on your interview! Hopefully, I'll be interviewing again sometime near the end of this year. I'm a little farther behind in the process than you. I'm also an out-of-stater, so my odds are much lower than yours.

Good luck again!