Interview at UTSA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hopkins2010

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
To those applying, watch your mailboxes. I got an invite for 9/10 today.

Members don't see this ad.

Damn you the man!
You are crazy! You only applied to like 15 schools right? and already 5 interviews!

Congrats baylor! You're just racking up the interviews. :)

Any word on what they're going to do to you for missing class?

Yes this is my 5th interview. I'm sure there are people out there who have gotten more, perhaps even 7 or 8 already.

I guess I applied to too many schools, 31 total. I only have borderline numbers (31, 3.8) so I didnt expect to get this many interviews so quickly.

I've had mixed results as far as missing class goes. I talked to my premed advisor and he said he would be willing to go all the way to the president of the university to get me an exception to our university-wide attendance policy.

So at least I wont be failing any classes solely due to attendance. However, one of my classes (my most important one, in fact) will still be docking me points for missing class.

I will lose one point off my final grade for every class missed after 3. So far, I've had to use of 2 of my 3 allowed misses. That class meets 3 days a week (M,W,F). Fridays are especially bad because they are design deadlines (its a senior engineering design class). I get docked 2 points off my final grade if I miss a Friday, and they wont take any excuses, even for professional activities like interviews.

So needless to say, I'm going to be BEGGING the med schools to reschedule interviews if they give me a Friday. I know that a few of the schools I'm applying to will ONLY do interviews on Fridays, so I guess I'm just going to have to take the grade hit if I get interviews from them.

Another bad thing about this class is that I'm the project manager, in charge of overseeing 20 other student engineers working on this project. Its going to look bad for the manager to miss alot of classes, so I might have to step down and let a backup manager take over if I get many more interviews. I really like being project manager and wouldnt want to give it up, but I have to think about whats best for our design team as a whole.

If I miss enough classes for senior design to get a low B grade (around 10-15 more than what I have now) then I'm going to have to decline all further interviews or put them off until after I graduate in December. I really dont want to get a C in this class just because of absences. Of course I dont expect to get that many more interviews, especially through the course of one semester, but then again I didnt expect to have 5 interviews set up by early September either.