Interview Attire for Females

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hannah85

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello

I did a search on interview attire but seems that most threads address male interview attire and I need some advice/feedback on girls' attire.

I have an interview scheduled at USN on the 28th and was wondering if anyone (esp those who interviewed at USN) could comment on interview attire? What did majority of the girls wear?

I don't really want to (though I don't have much of a problem) wear the traditional black pant/skirt suit... would a white pant suit be ok? Of course, it would be tasteful and sharp looking. But is that unprofessional?

Thanks in advance for the advice/comments!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello

I did a search on interview attire but seems that most threads address male interview attire and I need some advice/feedback on girls' attire.

I have an interview scheduled at USN on the 28th and was wondering if anyone (esp those who interviewed at USN) could comment on interview attire? What did majority of the girls wear?

I don't really want to (though I don't have much of a problem) wear the traditional black pant/skirt suit... would a white pant suit be ok? Of course, it would be tasteful and sharp looking. But is that unprofessional?

Thanks in advance for the advice/comments!

from the interviews i've been to, almost all the girls interviewed wore the traditonal black pant/skirt suit, including myself. I think it's proper and fitting enough to go with the black.. it looks professional but not too glaring. I don't think white pant suit is okay because it looks like ur going to red carpet event. also u would appear too plain..since im guessing u'll be wearing a white shirt inside too..

If you don't like black, try a dark gray (that's what I wear for my interviews), a brown, or a navy. Those are all traditional colors. Some people even recommend them over black. Also, they will make you stand out, as many people there will be wearing black. If you still want something lighter, try a lighter gray or a tan color.

I would stay away from white because it looks too trendy...like something a teenager would wear (in my opinion), and isn't professional.

Members don't see this ad :)
I must admit...I wore a black pant suit from The Limited. I wore a blue satin shirt underneath once and a cream capped sleave shirt another time. One of the interviews I went to there were all girls...1 wearing black pant suit, 1 w/ black pants, ugly shirt, sandals (yeah), and no jacket, then another 1 with cute grey tweed suit. Anyways, good luck and make sure you are comfortable.

I wore black, pinstripe pants with a white shirt and black jacket. Most of the girls I saw at the interview at USN when I went on Feb 14th wore black pants/white shirt/black jacket. I didn't see too many skirts. I am also of the opinion that white pants would not look good, but if you feel that it fits your personality, then wear them.

If you are comfortable in the white and it is not inappropriate, then go ahead and where it. I don't think it will keep you from being accepted. That said, I personally wore a black skirt/suit, but for me personally it is something that I will wear again and fits my personality. When I interviewed there were those in pants and skirts, sweaters, and blouses. Business attire is best, but as long as it is not inappropriate and you are comfortable you will probably be ok.

Good Luck

remember sexy is more important than comfort durring your interview!

Grow UP !!!! I feel like I am talking to my 13 year old son and his friends!!! Not everyone is appreciative of your crude sense of humor.

Thanks all for your comments!

AFter some thought, I have nixed the white pant suit idea -- I think I'll go with grey or even tan... as most of you have said, white might seem a bit unprofessional. Thanks again!

Grow UP !!!! I feel like I am talking to my 13 year old son and his friends!!! Not everyone is appreciative of your crude sense of humor.

The best thing to do to these people is ignore them. They're trolls; one of their sources of entertainment is to get a rise out of people by posting inappropriate material on a forum. People's comments are only feeding the fire and it will continue indefinitely until a) the troll gets bored with his game b) people recognize the troll and ignore his posts. I am a proponent of the latter, but it doesn't look that way with this forum. It's too bad people continue to comment on his threads--what a waste of time.

I must say I was wondering when the females would get a thread on dress. Not that you need it, but we've already had long hair on guys, funeral black, and other male dress topics. Maybe we just need more help.:rolleyes:

Hope you don't mind me purging a few posts.;)

Hello, everyone. I didn't see a thread yet about what to wear for females, so I wanted to start this new thread. A friend mentioned that as a girl, I should wear a light blue top with my suit, which is black. Agree or disagree? I have a button-down blouse that is in the middle between pink and purple. Kinda like a rose color which I really like - it fits and looks better. And thought it went nicely with my black suit. But now I am having second thoughts after a friend suggested the blue to me. I haven't heard anyone else mention anything about this, so I wanted to ask. Thanks!

I would wear what you were planning to wear (the rose color). I bought a blue shirt to do my interviews in with my black suit, but ended up wearing a white one. I think the rose would brighten up your look. When I tried on my outfit with the blue, I just didn't like the result.

Members don't see this ad :)
i dont think it really matters what color shirt you wear underneath your suit, but ladies, please for god's sake wear a suit!! it looks much more professional. there was another girl at an interview i went on that was wearing khakis and a cotton shirt. no no no.

Sorry for playing in your thread again. I merged the "Interview attire for girls (for USN)" and the "Interview attire for females" threads. :p

in speaking to a friend who is a P1, she said she remembers people strolling in with jeans, khakis, and a nice sweater. an email i just got from the school i am interviewing at next week mentioned some students come in tube tops, etc. oh boy! :eek:

I strongly agree that women should wear suits to their interview because you will stick out like a sore thumb if you don't. I remember seeing a girl wearing a fluffy green sweater while another girl was wearing a black corset over a white dress shirt. :eek: Yes, pretty odd sense of style if you ask me (especially @ an interview). Hahah. Basically I think just keeping it classy and simple should be fine. Oh yea, definitely nothing too sexy/revealing because you don't want the interviewers to get a bad impression. You never know who is interviewing you! Hope this helps & good luck~~

OK ladies (and guys too if you'd like)...

I went shopping all day yesterday for suit and simply could not find one that I was really happy with... black suit just will not do for me and I'm leaning more towards a white suit. Here is an image of a white suit below (i hope it shows up). this isn't the exact suit, but mine looks somewhat similar to this. what do you guys think? yay or nay?

please help! thanks a bunch =)

I went shopping all day yesterday for suit and simply could not find one that I was really happy with... black suit just will not do for me and I'm leaning more towards a white suit. Here is an image of a white suit below (i hope it shows up). this isn't the exact suit, but mine looks somewhat similar to this. what do you guys think? yay or nay?

I personally like the suit for a professional job or job fair kinda situation..not for an interview.. i know you "want" us to say yes but honestly just stick to dark grey, black..im not understanding why its such a big deal to wear black or dark grey? u could pair it up with a different colored shirt and it could look very professional and classy.. thats just my opinion.. i wouldnt wear white for sure

I posted this earlier in the thread, but you might not have seen it... so here it is again:

If you don't like black, try a dark gray (that's what I wear for my interviews), a brown, or a navy. Those are all traditional colors. Some people even recommend them over black. Also, they will make you stand out, as many people there will be wearing black. If you still want something lighter, try a lighter gray or a tan color.

I would stay away from white because it looks too trendy...like something a teenager would wear (in my opinion), and isn't professional.

With that being said, if you really don't like dark colors, I would go with a light tan color well before going with a white one. I have a light tan suit in addition to my dark gray one and it looks very professional and still is a light color. I really do not think white is appropriate for an interview.

Have you tried Banana Republic? That's where I got mine. They have very nice suits for pretty decent prices too. I personally don't like white pants because I'm always afraid of getting them dirty.

I'm going with the majority, black, dark-grey, grey, tan. I have a grey-blue pant suit that I've worn to job interviews. White would scare me to death, if it gets dirty, there it is, glaring at the interviewers. :eek:

Good thread BTW, I hadn't even thought about what to wear to an interview if I got one!

That suit is very attractive but I'd need to see it on an actual person (as opposed to an 8 ft tall, 100 lb model). It's very hard to pull off all-white. A classmate of mine has a similar suit (it's winter white though). She is african american and tall...it looks stunning on her. But I could NEVER wear it.

I think it's a gamble wearing white to the interview. How much do clothes matter? They probably aren't the deciding factor. But I'd go for conservative. Since it is now spring a night light tan suit would be very nice as well.

I know how difficult it can be to shop for clothes....good luck and I'm sure whatever you wear will turn out fine.

I posted this earlier in the thread, but you might not have seen it... so here it is again:

With that being said, if you really don't like dark colors, I would go with a light tan color well before going with a white one. I have a light tan suit in addition to my dark gray one and it looks very professional and still is a light color. I really do not think white is appropriate for an interview.

U know, I have not really thought about wearing white to an interview before. A white suit is def on my list of things I want thou! I can just imagine showing up at one of my interviews w/ a white suit and I WOULD surely stand out! ...when I went for my interview at Samford, there were four of us all darkly dressed, in fact, all of us were wearing black...u could TELL that we were THERE for interviews and what IF I had worn a white suit??? ;)

I'm going with the majority, black, dark-grey, grey, tan. I have a grey-blue pant suit that I've worn to job interviews. White would scare me to death, if it gets dirty, there it is, glaring at the interviewers. :eek:

Yeahhh, that's one reason why I would just stick w/ the black! ...I have a tendency to get white-colored clothes spotted somehow! :mad:

wow very interesting. thanks for the site!

i ended up with a black suit with dark grey pinstripes hahaha. all this drama about a white suit for nothing. Thanks all for your help and honesty!

What do you think of someone wearing a nice professional looking skirt with a shirt and jacket. The skirt is knee length, not short.

What do you think of someone wearing a nice professional looking skirt with a shirt and jacket. The skirt is knee length, not short.

That's what I wore during one of my interviews. Initially, I WAS planning on wearing a pant suit, but I decided to go w/ a skirt suit instead. My skirt was knee-length and I wore stockings, as well as closed-toed shoes. I also had a matching jacket to wear and a button-up shirt underneath the jacket. I think I looked very professional. ;)

One of the girls at my NDSU interview yesterday was wearing very rise pants and you could see the inch or two of her thong ABOVE the pants. None of the interviewers walked up and down the stairs with the herd of candidates, but I thought it was incredibly tacky :eek:

I must admit...I wore a black pant suit from The Limited. I wore a blue satin shirt underneath once and a cream capped sleave shirt another time. One of the interviews I went to there were all girls...1 wearing black pant suit, 1 w/ black pants, ugly shirt, sandals (yeah), and no jacket, then another 1 with cute grey tweed suit. Anyways, good luck and make sure you are comfortable.

I went to an interview (not gonna say where) where a girl was wearing a blue and white polka dot dress. Not sure why.