Interview Attire for Women?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kulfi

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
T

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Nude trouser socks are the safe choice here. I just could not understand how does a lot of you foot is exposed?Maybe pants are too short?

Knee highs work well with pant suits. Both nude and black are fine options.

Members don't see this ad :)
What kind of shoes are you wearing? If they are open toe, NO hose/socks. If they are closed toe, either black or nude are fine--and I agree with the trouser socks vs panty hose.

Knee highs work well with pant suits. Both nude and black are fine options.
16okdA

Have any of you girls found it difficult to find a blouse? Lol... I went to Express and Macy's last weekend and didn't find anything appropriate. Most of the shirts are colarless nowadays... What suggestions do you have based on what you are planning to wear/wore? Thanks in advance :smuggrin:

@DrToothDriller As long as you're wearing a blazer, I don't think a collar is necessary. I personally wore a dress with a blazer to my interviews last year. As for blouses, check Banana Republic and Calvin Klein (both will be running huge sales especially at the outlets this weekend). I usually find lots of business and business casual options there.

Reactions: 1 users
@DrToothDriller As long as you're wearing a blazer, I don't think a collar is necessary. I personally wore a dress with a blazer to my interviews last year. As for blouses, check Banana Republic and Calvin Klein (both will be running huge sales especially at the outlets this weekend). I usually find lots of business and business casual options there.
I'll try that tomorrow... Hope to find something! I'm going to be wearing a suit... Oh man... I think I'm obsessing too much with the outfit! Lol... :p

Have any of you girls found it difficult to find a blouse? Lol... I went to Express and Macy's last weekend and didn't find anything appropriate. Most of the shirts are colarless nowadays... What suggestions do you have based on what you are planning to wear/wore? Thanks in advance :smuggrin:
H&M has a lot!

I do not like button downs - they are uncomfortable under the jacket. So I like to put a conservative top under.
Try Marshalls, TJmxx or even Ross. They usually have a lot of button downs

H&M has a lot!

We don't have H&M here!! :(:(:(

I do not like button downs - they are uncomfortable under the jacket. So I like to put a conservative top under.
Try Marshalls, TJmxx or even Ross. They usually have a lot of button downs

I'll try those stores too... Problem is that I don't like the regular ones cause I'm petite. I look better in the fitted ones (without being too provocative)... What kind of top do you refer to?

I prefer sleeveless , straight sides, cut around the neck or a little deeper. This way I do not have to deal with two collars and feel more comfortable in a sleeve area

I prefer sleeveless , straight sides, cut around the neck or a little deeper. This way I do not have to deal with two collars and feel more comfortable in a sleeve area
Thanks for the idea... I'll see what I can find... Wish me luck! :p

Macy's is a good place to look for button downs and shells. Calvin Klein has a very good selection of comfy shells to wear under suits--sold at Macy's. You could probably order online if you don't have one near you. They are a lightweight, flowy material. I have 3 or 4 of them and I love them. http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/...9672&CategoryID=255&LinkType=#fn=BRAND=Calvin Klein%26SLEEVE_LENGTH%3DSleeveless%26sp%3D1%26spc%3D27%26ruleId%3D%26slotId%3D22

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/...3333&CategoryID=255&LinkType=#fn=BRAND=Calvin Klein%26SLEEVE_LENGTH%3DSleeveless%26sp%3D1%26spc%3D27%26ruleId%3D%26slotId%3D13

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/...3590&CategoryID=255&LinkType=#fn=BRAND=Calvin Klein%26SLEEVE_LENGTH%3DSleeveless%26sp%3D1%26spc%3D27%26ruleId%3D%26slotId%3D1

there are others as well, different brands/colors

Thank you for all the feedback! I went to the mall yesterday and found a top at Sears... Yay! Now, I'm on the lookout of a purse... Lol!!! I'm unsure if to bring a big purse or a medium size one. Lol... I wish I were a man! We, as women, have too many details to focus on... :p

Thank you for all the feedback! I went to the mall yesterday and found a top at Sears... Yay! Now, I'm on the lookout of a purse... Lol!!! I'm unsure if to bring a big purse or a medium size one. Lol... I wish I were a man! We, as women, have too many details to focus on... :p

Bring a small purse, black, not flashy, just big enough to hold your ID and debit card and not much more.

Reactions: 1 user

I got 2 non-iron button downs from Banana Republic (I also got them 40% off online!)

I am bringing a bag big enough to fit my portfolio. If you bring a small purse, you won't be able to put anything in it... They may give you papers and things during the day and being able to put it somewhere is helpful and then your hands are free. Plus my bag will be holding some flats that I may wear when we walk around a lot hahah
That's what i was thinking ! I think a lightweight tote would be enough !

Reactions: 1 user
Sorry to resurface this, but is a blazer something that is highly reccomended? I found a nice top and a skirt but don't have a blazer for it

Sorry to resurface this, but is a blazer something that is highly reccomended? I found a nice top and a skirt but don't have a blazer for it

Disclaimer: This only reflects my own opinion.

I spent a lot of money on an actual suit (matching top and bottom), searched high and low for the perfect thing to wear under it, the right shoes and accessories. After going to my first couple of interviews I have realized that most schools don't really care, *as long as you look professional*. I saw a wide variety of attire but the key was that all of the women (and men for that matter) I saw looked classy and professional. If someone shows up to an interview looking like a business professional and the school chooses not to admit them because they weren't wearing a blazer, I would be completely surprised. Not only that, but personally I don't know that I would want to attend a school that puts that much emphasis on superficial things.

For women in general I would say the KEY is to find something to wear that will help you feel confident and comfortable (not too tight or too short, shoes that don't feel like a torture device, etc.). What that looks like for each person is going to be a little different. Basically, you want your attire to reflect your respect for the profession and the hard work you've done to get to this point, while not detracting from the real reason you are at the interview - for them to get to know you as a person.