Interview attire...Is a suit a must?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CBG23

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Or can I wear dress pants/dress shirt/ tie/ blazer?

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on the school.

Belive it or not... some dont make addmissions decisions based of your interview attire

Members don't see this ad :)
You know what, I saw people in interviews wearing a nice dress shirt, tie, and slacks, and they looked just as professional as the walking stiffs in the black getups.

I (a girl) wore dress pants, a dress shirt, and a blazer which matched the color of my pants. I didn't think it was a big deal or anything. However, one of my interview hosts gave me a shocked look when I told her that that was what I was going to wear, and I always felt a tad insecure about my clothes after that. The majority of my fellow interviewees wore suits. While I don't think it matters, it wouldn't hurt to invest in a nice suit now, since residency interviews are allegedly even more formal than med-school interviews and I've heard that everyone wears suits to those, so you're going to need to own a nice suit eventually.

I believe I have seen LizzyM post on this topic and her opinion was that dress slacks and a blazer are good enough. I do believe her, but "good enough" can be scary ground. I am wearing a suit.

I believe I have seen LizzyM post on this topic and her opinion was that dress slacks and a blazer are good enough. I do believe her, but "good enough" can be scary ground. I am wearing a suit.
she also mentioned how it was a welcome change, as the office gets tired of seeing black suits, white shirts, red ties..

she also mentioned how it was a welcome change, as the office gets tired of seeing black suits, white shirts, red ties..

Very true! That is why my suit is brown and my shirt is blue. Trying to offer that "welcome change" without rocking the boat too much. :laugh::laugh:

I'll be interviewing some people this year and if I see anyone not wearing a suit i'll recommend rejection.

Someone should try it out. Like if you already got into harvard or any school that you probably wouldn't mind going to. You should go to an interview wearing a t-shirt and shorts and see how it goes.

If you are slightly neurotic, you'll be wearing a suit. heck, I felt weird because I was wearing a blue shirt when most people wore white.

Members don't see this ad :)
Here's one of LizzyM's many posts on the issue (as previously mentioned)

Blazer/shirt & tie/trousers/dress shoes is perfectly acceptable. Until about 10 years ago, this was the "uniform" look for interviewees as well as for the alumni weekend crowd. This interview season, I saw a few men dressed this way and frankly, it was refreshing change from the funeral look that we (the adcom interviewers) all make fun of.

Let's put it this way: you don't want to be the only person who shows up in a blazer. A suit isn't "required," but on the other hand, yes, of course it is. You are coming to interview for an elite seat in American education. Can you risk looking anything less than professional?

if you want to look professional, wouldn't it be better to wear what doctors wear, with scrubs to boot?

if you want to look professional, wouldn't it be better to wear what doctors wear, with scrubs to boot?

Sure, if the majority of doctors wore scrubs.

where will u be interviewing?

Somewhere in Cali, but remember there could be some who share my opinion at any school. Do you really want to take that chance when you could just wear a suit?

If i was you, I'd wear a suit just so your jacket covers your armpits incase you're sweating and nervous haha :thumbup:

Since when did LizzyM become the final word on things?

Meh, she's an adcom, has given good advice in the past, and SDN trusts her. Besides, she has revealed some method behind the madness, so that's always a plus. It's not like we don't value your opinion though.

I went on an interview last week and there were a few women not dressed in suits, and I have to say they really did not look professional and came across as being very young and somewhat immature. Perhaps I am biased after having been out in the work world, but it is really important to look professional for job and/or school interviews. I also think closed toed shoes are important as is neatly combed hair. You want people to take you seriously and to feel like they might want to have you as their future doctor - you don't want to come across looking very young. Plus, you will feel more confident if you are dressed your best, which can only help you. I don't think that means you have to be totally boring, you can personalize your look with accessories.

Are there people that might be offended if you don't wear a suit? yes

Are there people that might be offended if you wear a suit? probably not

choice is clear IMO...

Stick with a black, business-like suit. You might get to pick a shirt color, but that's really it.

I have my standard interview attire that I've worn for all of the most important events in my academic life: black jacket, dark gray pants, and an awesome, awesome tie (seriously, it's gotten compliments for years). It's not the standard funereal look. ;)

I'll be interviewing some people this year and if I see anyone not wearing a suit i'll recommend rejection.

I think Pinkertinkle's view might be as or more representative as LizzyM's on this point. Unless you are interviewing at her school, don't bank on this view saving you from your fashion choice. While many of us have known folks who, because of lost luggage or other snafu's had to do an interview in a borrowed blazer rather than a suit, explained the situation and still did fine, this is not optimal. You are interviewing to become a member of a profession (med school is basically the gatekeeper), and a fairly conservative one at that, so it benefits you to look professional. In a room full of interviewees in suits, you will stand out in an unfavorable way if you are the only one in slacks and blazer or anything else less formal. You don't want to bank on getting the one out of a dozen interviewers who thinks it's fine that you didn't dress up -- you want to play it conservative. A black suit isn't necessary, but keep it in the black, navy blue or dark gray family.

Since they are getting as many as 10,000 applications, med schools are truly looking for reasons to reject folks, and cull the field. Don't try to be a renegade and make their choice easier. What's the down side of dressing nice for one of the more important interviews of your life?

i saw a girl wearing a skirt a couple inches above the knee and not wearing pantyhose. not good. please wear a skirt that doesn't look like you are someones sexcretary.

I'd wear a suit. I'm a woman and wore a gray one with a slight glen plaid and a black shell. For the ladies, if you wear a skirt, make sure it isn't too short and wear hose, and it's a good idea to have your hair back and out of your face. Wear shoes that look professional and that you can walk around in for hours. I bought the skirt and the pants that matched my jacket. It was a suit I had though (i'm a nontrad) so I didn't run out and buy a black one. Mine was cut nicely and was still conservative so I figured it was fine.

There was one interviewee with a suit with glittery-silver pinstripes at one of the interviews I went to, I thought it was less professional than I would have chosen.

I think whoever said that your jacket can hide sweat stains had far more insight than they knew. Never underestimate the enormous amount of perspiration your body will generate on interview day, especially when they schedule interviews AFTER the 45 minute walking campus tour when it's 90 degrees outside.

As a student interviewer I don't really care what you're wearing as long as you wouldn't look out of place in an office environment. This means no short skirts for ladies; guys have it a little easier but please no ugly ties and dont' wear light khaki chinos. As for suits, I actually like gray suits and navy suits way better than black, since you look slightly less like a mortician. But again, not a huge deal.

What I think I'm getting around to say is that there are FAR more important things in an interview, and although I understand the want to control the little details (I did too), work on presenting yourself honestly and showing that you have a brain, rather than just a professional stylist.