Interview Attire Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

andybshaker

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
When I asked my biology professor, a well regarded scientist, for a letter of recommendation, he said that he wants to have a formal meeting with me and go through my CV and transcript. I know him moderately well, having attended most of his office hours for the last semester. Should I wear something more formal, like a blazer/suit, or just khakis and a dress shirt?

Members don't see this ad.

When I asked my biology professor, a well regarded scientist, for a letter of recommendation, he said that he wants to have a formal meeting with me and go through my CV and transcript. I know him moderately well, having attended most of his office hours for the last semester. Should I wear something more formal, like a blazer/suit, or just khakis and a dress shirt?
No... He just wants to bring out the best in your recommendation. Anything goes (jeans and nice shirt)

As long as you don't wear a tux, you're unlikely to be too dressed up for an interview.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Do not wear jeans. Seriously. Good god.

Khakis and a dress shirt sounds like a solid idea.

Reactions: 2 users
You'd honestly be fine with jeans if you see him as often as you say. However, I think you'll feel more confident in something nicer, and I think that's reason enough to go with business casual.

Idk when I went to mine I just dressed normally as did everyone else who was there for the same reason. But then again my professor was a lot younger maybe if he's older he's more conservative.

Here is a valuable life lesson:

If -patently- overdressed (I'm talking you're in a suit and your counterparts are in sweatpants), it is a trivial matter to simply explain that you have another, formal, commitment after whatever it is you are doing with the people dressed casually. This will be accepted as a matter of course.

If underdressed, there is no comparable excuse. You just look underdressed, underprepared, and unprofessional.

Therefore, the optimal choice in all situations where dress is at all uncertain is to overdress - slightly - from your best guess at what you're expected to wear.

Reactions: 1 users
This isn't an interview. This is a meeting with your letter-writer to discuss the recommendation.

Dress up a little if you want to but it should also be fine to wear whatever you normally wear when you meet with him.

khakis + buttondown. no tie

If I saw you dressed differently than class I'd be weirded out.

I went to several interviews on campus for research gigs and I thought I should dress up so I did my first few ones and I felt like a total nerd. Both the jobs I ended up working at for a year plus I wore jeans and a t-shirt plus my big ol' winter coat to the interviews. I would wear whatever you normally do personally.