Interview attire

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kiki

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What's the consensus on women wearing pants and a jacket vs. a skirt for an interview?

Members don't see this ad.

It seems like most of the women in my class are going with pants and jacket.

I'm planning on wearing a pants-suit for my interviews. I don't think what women wore for med school interviews mattered much, so I figure it really won't be a big deal for residency interviews. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Go with the pants. During my interviews, probably 2/3 of the women wore pants. I found the PERFECT pants suit and wore it to every single interview. It looked great, felt great and WOULDN'T wrinkle (remember, you'll be doing alot of traveling)!!!! Do be conservative though. My suit was black with black pinstripes and I wore a beige silk blouse. You should also use minimal makeup and jewelry. And don't forget the MOST important thing...comfortable shoes! Most programs want to really show themselves off and insist that candidates take lengthy tours. :eek: Also, get a nice attache' for your things...don't carry a purse. :D

Finally, you'll need to take along another nice (but more casual) outfit, as most programs like to wine and dine you the night before your interview. It's usually a group event with all the current residents and interviewees. It's a chance for you to ask questions in an informal environment and for them to make sure you're not a social *****. ;)

Hi,
Neurogirl, what kind of outfit would you suggest for the casual preinterview dinner, I mean will a skirt and jacket be better or a dress?
I am going out of my mind trying to find the interview suit.If I get a skirt suit will an above knee length skirt be O.K.
Do share your views , every body.

Either a dress or slacks would be ok for the dinner (whatever you'd be comfortable wearing to a nice restaurant). I would NOT go above the knee on your suit. I did see one or two interviewees who wore skirts AT the knee, but none who went above. Most chose below the knee or went long (above the ankle). If I were you though, I'd keep looking for a pants suit, you'll be more comfortable...and warmer. Remember, most of your interviews will be during winter.

Hey ..Thanx Neuro girl.
Most places I looked at I could find skirt suits with skirts at or above the knee only and I was definitely uncomfortable with the above knee skirts , maybe I havent looked in enough stores yet.But now I'm definitely thinking of going for the pants suit.

I'm so glad you brought this up. Every book I read says that you should wear a skirted suit, or you'll risk losing your residency and you'll have to work in a fast food joint for the rest of your life (not that there's anything wrong with that!) Meanwhile, all the female attendings are wearing pants suits. I'm going to return the skirt I bought and buy pants. So there! :p

Good luck on your interviews, everyone.

I think it depends on the field. During my Gen and PRS Surgery interviews it was the RARE woman who wore pants. Maybe Surgery being more conservative...I dunno.

I can't imagine that wearing a nicely tailored pants suit would hurt you in getting a position, and frankly I wished I'd worn one. But as they say, "when in Rome..."

best of luck.