Interview attire

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Brill

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Typically, what should a male wear to an interview? A suit? Business casual (khaki pants, dress shirt, and tie)?

I tried asking the school but for some reason they more or less refused to tell me.

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah when I went to the interview everybody dressed professionally. Dark conservative colors. Pretty much it. Reply if you have any questions.

hey what about ties...are you supposed to wear light color ties. i.e the red interview tie.

or are you supposed to wear, black, brown, etc..dark colored ties.

Members don't see this ad :)
i recommend you to look up some interview websites. they tell you what you need to prepare for interview.
good luck.

Most people wear suits. Nearly everyone is in the standard black (almost like a funeral procession) -- a few sharp pin-stripes. The key is to look professional. A little subtle color is nice (ie: dark colored tie, non-white dress shirt).

Much luck to you.
-s

hey..so black suits, balck shirt? black or dark tie.

i thought you can only wear that for funerals. navy blue is what you wear for interviews..??is this the case?

Originally posted by tryinghard
hey..so black suits, balck shirt? black or dark tie.

i thought you can only wear that for funerals. navy blue is what you wear for interviews..??is this the case?

Ok - maybe "funeral procession" was not the best choice of occasion. Purely as an observation, most people wear black. That doesn't mean you can't wear blue, brown, purple or pink.

Unlike most everything else with the Pharmacy admissions process, the attire requirement is not set for you.

Cheers.
-s

oh..no. i just wanted to know what the trend is..what everyone else is wearing. i thought everyone was wearing navy blue, with white shirt, and red tie..is thsi true. is this the conservative approach??

So just something like a pair of dark slacks, a dress shirt, and a tie would be considered inappropriate? I don't have a suit to wear and my interview is tomorrow.

Simply stated. If you have a black/grey suit, weat the suit. If you don't have one, go with what you have. Don't stress about needing a suit in the interview. It's completely understandable.

BTW. Where are you interviewing at?

Good luck!

I finally broke down and bought a suit this afternoon. I got a pretty good deal on one so fortunately I'm not out too much cash. I feel better now knowing that I won't go in underdressed.

hey what color tie are you wearing?? can anyone instruct me on the color supposed to wear. what about red?

I picked a tie that went well with the suit I bought. It's dark grey and I bought a dark blue shirt to go with it, so the tie I got has shades of dark blue and grey in it. I don't think you need to wear a certain color of tie. Just go with whatever looks best with the suit and the shirt you'll be wearing.

You need to dress professionally; first impression DOES MATTER. I spent about $400 on my suit: navy blue suit, white shirt, light/dark blue tie. Do not wear a suit that makes you stand out.

Do not wear a bright or red tie. A red tie symbolizes power which you do not have during the interview.

really..i thought it was the tie that you would wear for a job interview?? i guess its only for buisness..is that the case?
what color tie are you supposed to wear..blue. so say, if i had teh same stuff as you-a navy blue suit, white shirt..i should wear a navy blue tie??

wear a tie that matches your suit.

would a red tie match your your navy blue suit??

so you said..no red tie-is this really the case.

would a red tie match your your navy blue suit??

so you said..no red tie-is this really the case.

no, a red tie would not match my navy blue suit; but a dark blue tie would. Yes, DO NOT wear a red tie. If you wear a blue suit, white shirt and red tie>>>> the colors of the flag.

don't you think that would be good in these patriotic days of the columiba disaster, and potential wars with iraq, north korea???

doesn't red go with anything??

don't you think that would be good in these patriotic days of the columiba disaster, and potential wars with iraq, north korea???

doesn't red go with anything??

No, red doesn't go with anything. My husband is a software development manager and has always worn conservative suits to interviews. He has two suits, one is grey and one is dark blue. As for ties, they usually have one contrasting color, but are conservative as well.

I'm glad I went and bought the suit. I had my interview today and out of ~10 other males only 2 weren't wearing a suit. I would have felt uncomfortable if I hadn't worn one.