Interview attire

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cortana431

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a "brief' (quoted from email) interview with a Ph.D student working on a research project for a position for me in the project. Is it fine to wear jeans and a nice sweatshirt to such an interview? Or better to play it safe and wear button down shirt, tie and black pants? I only ask because he said 'brief interview' in the email so I'm wondering if it's going to be informal and will be fine to wear regular/ decent clothes. Or maybe jeans and a polo shirt?

Members don't see this ad.

Just wear pants and a top other than a tshirt.

Try khakis and a polo or button up just to add a little more class than jeans.

Members don't see this ad :)
Try khakis and a polo or button up just to add a little more class than jeans.

I'd do this. However PhD students are usually very laid back. There is a really good chance that it wont matter what you wear.

I have a "brief' (quoted from email) interview with a Ph.D student working on a research project for a position for me in the project. Is it fine to wear jeans and a nice sweatshirt to such an interview? Or better to play it safe and wear button down shirt, tie and black pants? I only ask because he said 'brief interview' in the email so I'm wondering if it's going to be informal and will be fine to wear regular/ decent clothes. Or maybe jeans and a polo shirt?

:laugh: Me thinks this is an oxymoron.

At any rate, while grad students are casual and this a "brief" interview, you are always well advised to dress above the level of the job you want. Therefore, I would agree that a pair of khakis and a collared shirt is fine; a tie is not necessary, but wouldn't be outrageous if you chose it.

Sweatshirt, "nice" or not, is too casual.

I'd go with slacks and a button up shirt, no tie. It never hurts to look professional, put together, and clean!