Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Interview Blunder

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by camjakb, Apr 6, 2001.

1. camjakb

camjakb Member

I recently had an interview that, overall, went well. However, I was told by a friend that I committed a cardinal sin which jeopardized my chances for acceptance.

The interviewer asked where else I had applied to and without really thinking, I blurted out that their school was the only one which granted me an interview. If I was interviewing and a potential applicant told me that, my impression would be that he or she was simply there by default and their commitment to the school was somewhat questionable. As far as I'm concerned, honesty is always the best policy and I pray that my interviewer appreciated that.

Did I "screw the pooch" on this one or am I home free?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. bruinboy2000

bruinboy2000 Member

I agree with you. Honesty is the best policy. I do not think that you did anything to jeopardize your chances for admission. The question that they asked is usually considered to be "bad form" on their part, but that's the way it goes sometimes. I had a very similar question and answered it straight up as well. IMHO the only caardinal sin is lying on your app or during your interview and them finding out about it. It's best not to take that risk. Good luck! :)

4. Point of clarification here: It is NOT a cardinal sin if you lie on your app or in your interview and they don't find out about it. [​IMG]

[This message has been edited by ppdka (edited April 06, 2001).]

5. Doggy

Doggy Member

It's hard to say, because interviews are so subjective.

I have heard that some interviewers/schools like to hear that you have other options, i.e. have been granted interviews/acceptances elsewhere. However, I've never heard of the converse (your case) being a negative factor.

Your friend's reasoning may be somewhat weakened by the following: You CHOSE to apply to the school in the first place. It's not like they sought you out and you settled for lack of better offers. At some point, you must have thought about whether or not you could see yourself attending this school, and if you bothered to apply and return secondaries (hopefully this wasn't your only secondary), then the answer should be an affirmative.

And you are right, honesty should count for something, and hopefully your interviewer saw that. At this point, you may want to send a letter expressing your interest in the school and what you like about it. That should hopefully eliminate any possible doubt about your commitment to the school. Good luck!

6. Doggy

Doggy Member

Another thing. As far as the AdComs are concerned, how do they know that this school is not your top choice just because this is your only interview?

7. The degree of sinfulness depends on your powers of recovery. If you said, "this is the only school who offered me an interview" and appeared sulky about it, probably ranks up there with coveting neighbor's goodies or sumthin like that.

But if you were able to recover from the shock of being asked such an impertinent question (which they all do; don't you think its rude. We don't have a commitment yet so don't ask me who else I'm dating is my feelings! [​IMG] ) and convince them that you are very happy to be there, how well you fit into their student population, etc. its probably only an awkward gaffe at best.

For future reference, be prepared for this question - at the residency level too. I don't recommend lying - and after all, he asked where you had applied not interviewed which is a whole 'nother kettle of sinning potential. Always be prepped to answer "why" you applied at particular programs.

I am sure you did fine and that your own paranoid pre-med little mind is working overtime to convince you that you have made a mistake of monumental proportions. That and your mean spirited little friend. What ever happened to lying to your friends to protect them from things they can't change (ie, comments about their facial features, wife's facial features, amount of money they make, past interviews, etc.)?

8. Don't worry about it. Honestry is the best policy. Without a doubt.

9. bruinboy2000

bruinboy2000 Member

I suppose that this is true. But don't you think that lying to improve your application is like playing with fire? I mean you're applying to a profession where integrity is key. Why would you want to risk your future on a few brownie points? Just my two cents.

10. Pegasus

Pegasus Senior Member

Actually, I was told that AMCAS lets all the schools know which ones you applied to and which ones you have interview at. I am not sure how far into the year this is done, but I am pretty sure it is true.
    I was asked the same thing, and I told the truth, I would be to scarred that the interviewer would see that I was lying.
    I think what you said will be perfectly fine, better to tell the truth than for them to catch you in a lie (now that would be a cardinal sin!)

------------------
    ~Pegasus~