Interview clothes for women - where to find?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Snowcat

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I spent about 4 hours in TWO malls looking for a decent suit, but no success... I think it was even harder to find because I'm a size 1. Maybe I'm not looking in the right places? So here's a question for the women (and also the well-informed men) - where did you get your professional-looking outfit for interviews and such? Around how much did they cost?

Members don't see this ad.

Snowcat said:
I spent about 4 hours in TWO malls looking for a decent suit, but no success... I think it was even harder to find because I'm a size 1. Maybe I'm not looking in the right places? So here's a question for the women (and also the well-informed men) - where did you get your professional-looking outfit for interviews and such? Around how much did they cost?

Ann Taylor is my favorite place to shop for nice, professional suits. I know that they carry small sizes but since I am nowhere near a size 1 I am not sure if they go quite that low in size.

At size 1, I'd think that you'd have more luck in places besides the huge department stores. Try places like banana republic, express or whatever you have in your area that is equvialent. Those sort of stores in general carry smaller sizes.

Members don't see this ad :)
Try The Limited... I always have good luck there - I am a size 3 and have had this same problem also...

Snowcat said:

Try Bananna Republic. My sister is a size 0 and gets great stuff there. She also found a suit at Ann Taylor (it was a size 2 that she spent $50 to get tailored)

Like the posters above, I recommend Ann Taylor.

I know it might be a little lavish.. but I found the most adorable suit from Gucci online.

I'm a size 0 and i always find nice looking professional stuff at like Banana Republic and Express. Also like the others said, Ann Taylor has a lot of stuff for petite figures. Or u can look for suits in like boutiques or something but they might be costly.

A friend of mine who is also your size actually found a nice pant suit in the Victoria Secret catalog. She also shops at Ann Taylor, Express, Limited, and Banana Republic for her professional wear. Good luck!

I found my suit at Petite Sophisticate. I know they carry size 0 and 2. You can get the whole assembled suit or by pieces.

How bad is it to wear khaki's to an interview? I did, I didn't really think about it until I got there and everyone was in suits. :oops:

I'm a size 2 and I got my suit at Macy's.

grincheola said:
How bad is it to wear khaki's to an interview? I did, I didn't really think about it until I got there and everyone was in suits. :oops:

That depends on the school. Some schools are much more into very nicely dressed than others.

Members don't see this ad :)
i got mine @ belk in the jr's section for $50. (yay sales)

grincheola said:

I wore nice pants and a modest sweater thinking that would be nice enough. When I got to my interview everyone else was in a suit. I did get into the school, hopefully they don't choose people based on what they wore to the interview. I thought it was silly since pharmacists don't really wear suits to work. I got in, so I guess it doesn't matter

I wish we could just wear scrubs to the interviews. It would be much easier to tour the school for an hour in New Balance sneakers instead of heels and panty hose.

When I was at my last interview, a girl actually was showing her belly button. It was like having Britney Spears touring the school :) . I am hoping she just made a mistake and didn't realize her jacket rose up so high :eek: .

JCrew is a great place to get suits from. They carry petite sizes online.

I didn't want to spend $$$ on a suit, so I just went to eBay for bargain prices.

I noticed that lots of women had very nice, trendy purses that made them look sophisticated. I didn't have a nice flashy purse, so, yeah, I'm hoping they didn't pay too much attention on looks.

vpgraham said:
I didn't want to spend $$$ on a suit, so I just went to eBay for bargain prices.

I noticed that lots of women had very nice, trendy purses that made them look sophisticated. I didn't have a nice flashy purse, so, yeah, I'm hoping they didn't pay too much attention on looks.

My purse ended up on the floor under my chair because, in the small rooms I interviewed in, there were barely spaces for the chairs.

Wear something professional but, most importantly, be comfortable. Fidgiting during the interview because you are uncomfortable with the clothes would make you possibly seem more nervous than you really are.
Best of :luck: !

I can only wear shirts from Express. I cannot fit their jeans or pants, it's too long and too loose. Their 0 is still too big on me. Same for Banana Republic. Ann Taylor style is umm...too old...I always have the hardest time finding pants or jeans because I'm too short (shorter than a typical size 0 or 1 people). I guess I'm a weird size 0. I found my suit at Dillards and I just had my mom hemmed the pants. Victoria Secret does fit better width wise but the length is too long. But I would definitely recommend Victoria Secret.

Snowcat said:

Macy's is the easy way to go and they always have sales! :)