Interview clothes. What to/not to wear

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Not sure, just always liked the look lol.

I found a couple of shirts I really liked, but them I realized they had french cuffs and required cuff-links.. Pass for me.

Will the cuffs be small enough to fit under a suit?

Members don't see this ad :)
I found a couple of shirts I really liked, but them I realized they had french cuffs and required cuff-links.. Pass for me.

Will the cuffs be small enough to fit under a suit?

Unsure, still have to get the suit haha.

I tried wearing cuff links on a shirt without French cuffs and ended up losing one of them... I ended up finding it hours later, but I can't say I'll try that again anytime soon.

Pocket square/handkerchief looks like you're trying too hard IMO. Also, french cuffs are a bit dated and screams "I want to wear cufflinks"

Pocket square/handkerchief looks like you're trying too hard IMO. Also, french cuffs are a bit dated and screams "I want to wear cufflinks"

I think a white linen folded into a TV fold is very conservative and dapper. Definitely not "trying too hard." Anything more than a TV fold though is trying too hard.

I think a white linen folded into a TV fold is very conservative and dapper. Definitely not "trying too hard." Anything more than a TV fold though is trying too hard.

Pocket square folding is one thing I know next to nothing about. I had no idea what a TV fold looked like until just now. It's pretty subdued and not too over the top. What are some examples of folds that would be inappropriate for a med school interview?

Pocket square folding is one thing I know next to nothing about. I had no idea what a TV fold looked like until just now. It's pretty subdued and not too over the top. What are some examples of folds that would be inappropriate for a med school interview?

Anything but a TV fold :laugh::laugh:

I feel like I can't say this enough. If you need shirts, ties, or even suits and shoes you should check out Nordstrom Rack if you have one nearby. It's all brand new stuff from legit brands that are from "last season" or whatever. I buy $100 shirts there for $20-$30 and $75 ties for $15 pretty frequently. I've honestly never been much for shopping, but I really enjoy going there.

The one near me gets new inventory everyday.. though I don't go that often.

I feel like I can't say this enough. If you need shirts, ties, or even suits and shoes you should check out Nordstrom Rack if you have one nearby. It's all brand new stuff from legit brands that are from "last season" or whatever. I buy $100 shirts there for $20-$30 and $75 ties for $15 pretty frequently. I've honestly never been much for shopping, but I really enjoy going there.

The one near me gets new inventory everyday.. though I don't go that often.

I say this too...Just got some great cuff links too for $10.

I also watch for 40% off Banana Republic coupons, that seem to come every other week, and buy their shirts. They are a bit more expensive than Nord Rack, but the fit (for me) is unbeatable.

Members don't see this ad :)
For anyone who has traveled with a suit bag, is it acceptable to bring a wooden hanger with a metal hook, or will the airlines not let you carry that on?

For anyone who has traveled with a suit bag, is it acceptable to bring a wooden hanger with a metal hook, or will the airlines not let you carry that on?

You can bring one if you want and they should have extras in the suit closet.

:thumbup::thumbup:

You're staying at the Courtyard Plantation, right? They have extras in the closet. I stayed there for almost a week earlier this month :cool: When are you getting in?

:thumbup::thumbup:

You're staying at the Courtyard Plantation, right? They have extras in the closet. I stayed there for almost a week earlier this month :cool: When are you getting in?

Ok thanks. The one I have pretty much requires a hanger. http://www.luggagesetstore.com/Garment-Bag-w-2-Pockets-in-Black-w-Optional-Sizes.htm I'm really happy with the purchase so far. One pocket for shoes/socks/toiletries. Another pocket for the tie case I bought.

I'm staying at the Hampton Inn Fort Lauderdale/Plantation. I think I arrive early afternoon tomorrow.

Edit: Yea, I arrive at 1:40pm.

Edit 2: Looks like NSU is safe. Everything in the panhandle is doomed though. http://www.clarionledger.com/article/20120826/NEWS/120826001/Latest-update-Hurricane-Isaac-2012-path-puts-Louisiana-Mississippi-Alabama-Florida-panhandle-under-warning?odyssey=tab%7Cmostpopular%7Ctext%7CFRONTPAGE

Last edited:
Sunglasses while on outdoor campus tour. Y/N?

Are they aviators that make you look like Tom Cruise from Top Gun? If not, then no.

I kidz, sure sunglasses are fine.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAOoXN8LLC0[/YOUTUBE]

Haha just had to do it. Sunglasses are fine, but I doubt you'll need them for tomorrow.

Lots of non-SDNers at my NSU interview today. Almost exclusively black suits for the guys. Girls were fine though.

Lots of non-SDNers at my NSU interview today. Almost exclusively black suits for the guys. Girls were fine though.

Ohh just wait til you get here (if you matriculate). :cool:

I woulda shouted "Where's the funeral?" I think I'll do that for AZCOM's interviewees.

Ohh just wait til you get here (if you matriculate). :cool:

Oh I saw a lot of nice looking dental students.. Not too many med students though. I guess it's probably because you were all in anatomy.

I woulda shouted "Where's the funeral?" I think I'll do that for AZCOM's interviewees.

Do it on the 13th when I'm there :)

I actually ended up getting a blue shirt (sky blue on a lovely sunny day :)) and a skirt suit because for some reason I hear that for girls it's better to have a skirt suit (as long as it's an appropriate length of course). As far as shoes, I'm actually going to be brave and wear simple black pumps which some Dr. Scholl's in them for added comfort. Oh and pantyhose!

As far as make-up is concerned, I actually NEVER wear it unless I go out somewhere. But you do want to look polished. I would just do the basics. Nothing too dark, no lipstick, no bright colors. Just try to stay as natural looking as possible but also covering up any little flaws like a break-out or something like that. So I'll probably do a tiny bit of foundation, some bare minerals, a little mascara and a tiny bit of eye liner. Oh and this is my personal must-have: chapstick.

As far as hair...gosh...I'm kind of debating that one too. I want to be comfortable, which for me is wearing my hair down. But I think I'll end up clipping my hair back a little bit so that it stays out of my face.

Saw a skirt suit at the NSU interview and I gotta say it looks just as professional (I had my doubts) as a pant suit for girls.

I actually ended up getting a blue shirt (sky blue on a lovely sunny day :)) and a skirt suit because for some reason I hear that for girls it's better to have a skirt suit (as long as it's an appropriate length of course). As far as shoes, I'm actually going to be brave and wear simple black pumps which some Dr. Scholl's in them for added comfort. Oh and pantyhose!

As far as make-up is concerned, I actually NEVER wear it unless I go out somewhere. But you do want to look polished. I would just do the basics. Nothing too dark, no lipstick, no bright colors. Just try to stay as natural looking as possible but also covering up any little flaws like a break-out or something like that. So I'll probably do a tiny bit of foundation, some bare minerals, a little mascara and a tiny bit of eye liner. Oh and this is my personal must-have: chapstick.

As far as hair...gosh...I'm kind of debating that one too. I want to be comfortable, which for me is wearing my hair down. But I think I'll end up clipping my hair back a little bit so that it stays out of my face.

Most girls had their hair down, but I think up is more professional.. as a guy though I have no clue.

Oh I saw a lot of nice looking dental students.. Not too many med students though. I guess it's probably because you were all in anatomy.

Do it on the 13th when I'm there :)

I would pay drwily if he would do that. It would be worth it. Lol

Hearing this makes me so happy!

The nicer black suits looked fine, but the ones that looked like they were bought from JC Penney looked absolutely horrible. I've got nothing against cheap suits, but they definitely don't look as professional as other ones.

The nicer black suits looked fine, but the ones that looked like they were bought from JC Penney looked absolutely horrible. I've got nothing against cheap suits, but they definitely don't look as professional as other ones.

See any guys with their vents still sewed? :laugh::laugh::laugh:

No, but I wasn't looking that closely lol.

It sticks out like a sore thumb, so maybe you got a group who actually realized that the bright colored thread shouldn't be there.

It sticks out like a sore thumb, so maybe you got a group who actually realized that the bright colored thread shouldn't be there.

Honestly, this suit that I bought is the first one I've ever owned and when I noticed those flaps I thought something might have been wrong. It wasn't until I came on SDN and saw your post about people not unsewing their's that I realized it was normal :oops:

What do you guys think of these shoes? I don't want to spend more money on clothes than I have to, so I will wear these if they are okay.

scaled.php

What do you guys think of these shoes? I don't want to spend more money on clothes than I have to, so I will wear these if they are okay.

I'm more of a rounded toe guy myself, but they seem fine. Perhaps change the laces for something more dressy.

The pre-osteo forum is so much more laid back than the pre-allo forum. People over there told me my shoes were "disgusting" and that it would offend them if I wore them.

How would I replace the laces? I agree that the laces may not be dress enough. Could I go to a Macy's or some other store and buy dress shoes laces?

The pre-osteo forum is so much more laid back than the pre-allo forum. People over there told me my shoes were "disgusting" and that it would offend them if I wore them.

How would I replace the laces? I agree that the laces may not be dress enough. Could I go to a Macy's or some other store and buy dress shoes laces?

Yeah I think the shoe department at one of those should have dressy laces.

Sent from my Galaxy S2 via tapatalk

I was over on the other thread standing up for you, I read that thread with a physician friend on admissions committee for weekly entertainment. You would think these these guys are interviewing for what not to wear. I'm not saying not to do your best to look professional e.g. fairly neutral/conservative suit, shirt, and tie- beyond that not being able to pay for a custom suit on 5th ave has no bearing on your acceptance.
Sent from my ADR6400L using SDN Mobile

Seriously, it's your most important interview ever. Wear the best suit you have. If you don't have a nice suit, buy one. The returns on that investment are worth it.

Seriously, it's your most important interview ever. Wear the best suit you have. If you don't have a nice suit, buy one. The returns on that investment are worth it.

I'd imagine residency interviews would potentially be much more important...

I was over on the other thread standing up for you, I read that thread with a physician friend on admissions committee for weekly entertainment. You would think these these guys are interviewing for what not to wear. I'm not saying not to do your best to look professional e.g. fairly neutral/conservative suit, shirt, and tie- beyond that not being able to pay for a custom suit on 5th ave has no bearing on your acceptance.
Sent from my ADR6400L using SDN Mobile

Thank you, impact2d. I understand that it's important to dress well for the interview, but the pre-allo thread is a bit too much. I will consider new shoes, but I won't worry too much about it if I find they are out of my price range.