interview clothing - women

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ivanka001

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi everyone...i'm thinking of wearing a black blazer, blue/pink shirt with knee high skirt and black legging...oh...and also black patent wedge....

do you think it is too much black???
Thanks for yours opinions!!!

Members don't see this ad.

hi everyone...i'm thinking of wearing a black blazer, blue/pink shirt with knee high skirt and black legging...oh...and also black patent wedge....

This thread contains useful info regarding interview clothing for women- http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=842732&highlight=clothing

At the majority of my interviews, the women who wore black skirt suits wore neutral pantyhose (like the sheer skin-colored ones) but I did see some women wearing black.

black skirt suits with neutral pantyhose - i think it will looks old on me...i'm just 19 and i dont wanna look like 23+.....and my other concern is it is ok/look good with wedge? or it is weird to wear it...because most of the women wear pump....so?

Members don't see this ad :)
black skirt suits with neutral pantyhose - i think it will looks old on me...i'm just 19 and i dont wanna look like 23+.....and my other concern is it is ok/look good with wedge? or it is weird to wear it...because most of the women wear pump....so?

Agreed. You want to avoid looking like some worn out 23 year old whose bloom has faded. Youth is what sells these days.

23+?
At 19 years of age, you're already well past your prime.

oh lord. god forbid you look a tad mature.
this is a med school interview right? throw on a pair of cute 4 inch wedges with a pink bow tied in the back to match

Um, seeing as most med students are 23+, that's exactly how you want to look. I was 20 during my interview season and I dressed like I was 40. Medicine is a conservative profession.

wait...youre interviewing at nineteen? generally younger students tend to be at a disadvantage so you should want to look older in that case...
or is this not for a medical school interview...

For anyone that choose not to read the other threads --> no mini skirts (no thigh please). Don't be that person.

Sounds good...im sure you will look great! I hadn't thought about what to wear until I saw this thread and wow, it's a good question. For an interview tomorrow (hypothetical), I would wear black tights/pantyhose, not the solid black kind but the more sheer ones, heels and a cap sleeve dress that is very hard to describe. It's fitted at the waist, sort of wrap like but not, and fitted in the chest/ shoulders but has a loose skirt that hits just above the knee. It's white and the fabric is impossible to describe without making this sound like the worst outfit ever. this is where my personality comes out I guess bc I wear a lot of black and skirts + dresses and black pantyhose or tights are pretty much my daily wardrobe so ill feel most comfortable in those. Plus I have really dark hair so I don't think the white dress and black legs and shoes will look too weird. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds good...im sure you will look great! I hadn't thought about what to wear until I saw this thread and wow, it's a good question. For an interview tomorrow (hypothetical), I would wear black tights/pantyhose, not the solid black kind but the more sheer ones, heels and a cap sleeve dress that is very hard to describe. It's fitted at the waist, sort of wrap like but not, and fitted in the chest/ shoulders but has a loose skirt that hits just above the knee. It's white and the fabric is impossible to describe without making this sound like the worst outfit ever. this is where my personality comes out I guess bc I wear a lot of black and skirts + dresses and black pantyhose or tights are pretty much my daily wardrobe so ill feel most comfortable in those. Plus I have really dark hair so I don't think the white dress and black legs and shoes will look too weird. :)

Thank God you aren't interviewing tomorrow. There is still time to up-date your wardrobe and get a suit, neutral color hose and a pump shoe. Th epoint is not to be comfortable but to be professional. You can be both but it essential to look like an adult who knows how to dress for a professional school interview.

brb using imagination because no pics

Thank God you aren't interviewing tomorrow. There is still time to up-date your wardrobe and get a suit, neutral color hose and a pump shoe. Th epoint is not to be comfortable but to be professional. You can be both but it essential to look like an adult who knows how to dress for a professional school interview.

I am an adult, I'm 25. Your feedback is appreciated and will be taken into consideration. Suits aren't my thing at all though and id be pretending to be someone I'm not by wearing what you suggested.

Edit: I didn't realize that you were a credible source on this, sorry. Do you think I should still go for a suit, even if it throws me off my game? If its that important I will certainly figure it out.

Last edited:
I wore a conservative close-toed wedge shoe to my interviews. They were gray with the same suede material throughout and had a back. Not like the typical summer wedge you see. I chose these because they were FAR better for walking than pumps would be, so I didn't have to change shoes.

However, do NOT and I repeat do NOT wear leggings to an interview!! Even dark pantyhose would probably not be the best choice unless they match your skin tone. I would stick with a conservative suit (skirt or pants) and a nice shirt underneath. I wore a red satin shell under a gray suit and I found it was professional yet more exciting than the typical black suit/white button-down combination.

If you are 19, your goal should be to look MORE mature than your age. If you walk into an interview with a short skirt, leggings, and "cute" wedges, be prepared for rejections. Whether it's fair or not, interviewers will subconsciously or intentionally judge your appearance. If they are worried about your maturity based on your age, and you dress unprofessionally at the interview, chances are they will infer that you are not ready for med school.

I am an adult, I'm 25 and I know how to dress for an interview thanks. Suits aren't my thing at all and I wouldn't be caught dead in one....unless maybe I was speaking at a conference. Then it would seem appropriate to dress like a bigwig........

You're pretty new here, but LizzyM is an adcom and her views on this subject are considered pretty standard for med school adcoms in general. Interviews are not the time to show your unique fashion sense. A nice conservative dress is fine, but I'd recommend a blazer with it and non-black pantyhose. It's important to be confident, but remember that a lot of interviewers will be older people who might not appreciate your taste in clothes. Why risk it?

You're pretty new here, but LizzyM is an adcom and her views on this subject are considered pretty standard for med school adcoms in general. Interviews are not the time to show your unique fashion sense. A nice conservative dress is fine, but I'd recommend a blazer with it and non-black pantyhose. It's important to be confident, but remember that a lot of interviewers will be older people who might not appreciate your taste in clothes. Why risk it?

Ok thanks I guess I just worry that if I felt uncomfortable in what I was wearing I wouldn't interview well or be myself.

Last edited:
wait...youre interviewing at nineteen? generally younger students tend to be at a disadvantage so you should want to look older in that case...
or is this not for a medical school interview...

AMCAS doesnt even open for a few more months so I am assuming this is for future reference..... maybe 4 years out :laugh:

By all means, be yourself. It will help the adcom decide if it wants you to be a medical student at their school.

Thanks, I think I'll be buying a suit. Thankfully-like you said- I have plenty of time to do this.

I am an adult, I'm 25. Your feedback is appreciated and will be taken into consideration. Suits aren't my thing at all though and id be pretending to be someone I'm not by wearing what you suggested.

The dean of admissions I've talked to basically said if an interviewee can't come dressed professionally for one day, she'd not even consider that person. So unless you want to stand out in a negative way, wear a suit. It's not time to show your fashion sense. Wear something professional.

The dean of admissions I've talked to basically said if an interviewee can't come dressed professionally for one day, she'd not even consider that person. So unless you want to stand out in a negative way, wear a suit. It's not time to show your fashion sense. Wear something professional.

I get it I get it :) I wouldn't say I have fashion sense. That's why I wear black all the time!

I get it I get it :) I wouldn't say I have fashion sense. That's why I wear black all the time!

You can actually spice up your outfit with a different color suit or styles (pinstripes vs. solid) if you want to stand out a little bit more. I've found that interviewers appreciate the change since they see tons of applicants in black suits every year. =]

I would seriously just dress professionally and let your resume and personal skills do the talking. An attempt to look "cute" in any way has a much higher probability of working against you than for you.

Ok one advice and A LOT of females don't realize this but, if you're gonna wear heels and you want to walk around in them, get platform pumps!!!! Trust me! they are much much much more comfortable than your regular pump without the platform. Just sayin' cause a lot of ladies don't realize that...

You can actually spice up your outfit with a different color suit or styles (pinstripes vs. solid) if you want to stand out a little bit more. I've found that interviewers appreciate the change since they see tons of applicants in black suits every year. =]

I like this idea. There is surely a way to do this tastefully!

On another note, this approach reminds me if the movie Dumb and Dumber, with Harry and Lloyd's orange and blue tuxedos.

I would seriously just dress professionally and let your resume and personal skills do the talking. An attempt to look "cute" in any way has a much higher probability of working against you than for you.

Yes, and while I wasn't trying to look "cute", I did not understand some of the criteria on which I would be judged or that most applicants wear suits to their interviews.

This is like that show (is it still on?) What Not To Wear. I can see my white dress and black pantyhose being thrown in a garbage can......:)

Last edited:
I think the main point is to try to "fit in" with your clothing. if your looks are striking, they will stand out, and that's fine--but don't try to stand out with your wardrobe (or jewelry/makeup). your brain and experience is to be judged here, and you don't want anything else influencing that (even if it were positive--would you? I mean, in a way it might cheapen the experience...hmm)