Interview coming up. What should I tell my employer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hs113891

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

So I have a Dental School interview coming up next week. I have to miss work that day, because I need to fly out from the East Coast to the West Coast, and I have no clue what to tell my employer.

(I started working at this company about two months ago, because I didn't hear anything from Dental Schools. I still tried really hard not to hint anything about my Dental School plans, but my boss is already starting to be a little suspicious...)

I obviously can't tell him that I have an interview with a Dental School... I do have to miss work during mid week, and it's next week... "Oh, I just remembered that I have to miss work next week, and I can't really tell you the reason"

Anyone willing to provide any suggestions or creative ideas on how I can miss work next week without causing him to be so suspicious would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey,

So I have a Dental School interview coming up next week. I have to miss work that day, because I need to fly out from the East Coast to the West Coast, and I have no clue what to tell my employer.

(I started working at this company about two months ago, because I didn't hear anything from Dental Schools. I still tried really hard not to hint anything about my Dental School plans, but my boss is already starting to be a little suspicious...)

I obviously can't tell him that I have an interview with a Dental School... I do have to miss work during mid week, and it's next week... "Oh, I just remembered that I have to miss work next week, and I can't really tell you the reason"

Anyone willing to provide any suggestions or creative ideas on how I can miss work next week without causing him to be so suspicious would be greatly appreciated!

tell him you have a dentist appointment lol

Reactions: 1 user
i always got sick during the seasonal changes especially the days of my interview.

if i have to be somewhere for 2 days... i usually catch high fever and nasty cold...

must have very gentile immune sys.

OP if you make good money dont hint or go on this stupid website which might cause to lose that extra $...

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey,

If you have any vacation time, I'd use that. I was thinking the IM SICK routine or death in the family but that might be hard to pull off. If you're still in school, tell them you have a monster week filled with tests and lab practicals. I'm sure they'd understand.

What's up with your sig OP? Did you already get accepted to temple pod? I would think that dental schools would frown upon someone applying to another profession at the same time. Interesting.

tell him the truth.

if he gets upset say you didnt think youd be getting any interviews and all. Either way, this is an opportunity of a lifetime and if he wants to raise hell, let him. Dont let a measly job that you have to kill time, ruin your chance of going to dental school

tell him the truth.

if he gets upset say you didnt think youd be getting any interviews and all. Either way, this is an opportunity of a lifetime and if he wants to raise hell, let him. Dont let a measly job that you have to kill time, ruin your chance of going to dental school

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

What he said!

Walk up to your boss and say the following: "Look, I got a Dental School interview next week and it pretty much could shape the path of my entire life. I really hope that you'll be able to give me those days off because opportunities don't like these don't come around too often."

60% of the time, this works every time...

Focus on what is going to be your life long career. DENTISTRY. That is the ultimate goal. Looking back in life, you won't even remember his name in the long run so go for it! Don't let it deter you in any way and if it causes problems, oh well. Find another temp job until you go to dschool. Lol.

Seize the opportunity! :)

I would play your cards close to your vest when you are discussing future plans with your employer. The dirty little secret in the office is that everyone updates their resume but only a total fool would print it off and leave it lying about. First, you do not want to lose your job or end up being delegated the worst assignments or the worst hours. This can happen if they know you are out the door in August. Second, if you lose your job you become radioactive to potential employers if they know you can only commit to less than a year of work. In this economy it is not fun scrapping for a job and being forced to settle for 60-75% of what you were earning previously.

I would use vacation or a personal holiday if I knew (100% sure) I was going to be granted the request. If I thought there was a 1% chance of denial I would call in and say I was sick as I was driving to the airport. I hate telling people to lie but when it comes to things like this there are a lot of haters in the office!

using a death in the family allows you 5 grievance days by law... so use that excuse but only use 2 days... just be like we're flying out for the funeral...

Thanks for all your great inputs. I'm gonna have to think of somethin to say, whether or not he gets pissed... or... whether or not he buy it. Thanks ya'll!

Walk up to your boss and say the following: "Look, I got a Dental School interview next week and it pretty much could shape the path of my entire life. I really hope that you'll be able to give me those days off because opportunities don't like these don't come around too often."

60% of the time, this works every time...

Also, see if there is any way that you could make up the work when you get back; bosses love that kind of stuff.

In my opinion, (and in my company), the policy is that it's none of the manager's business why you are taking off work. If you do have to tell your boss why you're requesting a day off (which I think is wrong anyway), follow pogue's advice. It is spot on. Make something up. Say you have a doctor's appointment or something along those lines.

Members don't see this ad :)
In my opinion, (and in my company), the policy is that it's none of the manager's business why you are taking off work. If you do have to tell your boss why you're requesting a day off (which I think is wrong anyway), follow pogue's advice. It is spot on. Make something up. Say you have a doctor's appointment or something along those lines.

:thumbup:

This is what I did for all the days I needed to take off for shadowing and interviews. If you are using vacation time, it is none of their business. I was lucky to have a pretty professional boss. Even on the rare occasion that he'd ask about it, I'd just say something vague like "personal time" or whatever. He never pressed for more info.

I would play your cards close to your vest when you are discussing future plans with your employer. The dirty little secret in the office is that everyone updates their resume but only a total fool would print it off and leave it lying about. First, you do not want to lose your job or end up being delegated the worst assignments or the worst hours. This can happen if they know you are out the door in August. Second, if you lose your job you become radioactive to potential employers if they know you can only commit to less than a year of work. In this economy it is not fun scrapping for a job and being forced to settle for 60-75% of what you were earning previously.

I would use vacation or a personal holiday if I knew (100% sure) I was going to be granted the request. If I thought there was a 1% chance of denial I would call in and say I was sick as I was driving to the airport. I hate telling people to lie but when it comes to things like this there are a lot of haters in the office!

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Do you want to tell the truth and risk your job when you're not sure you'll be going to dental school in the fall? Trust me, in this economy, the last thing you need is to not get into dental school and then end up without a job. Everyone that's telling you the tell the truth, this is about the rest of your life, boss will understand crap has clearly never had a real "grown up" job.

Saying you're sick might back fire if your employer requires a doctor's note, so make sure about that before calling in sick. Death in the family, gotta fly out for a funeral excuse usually works.

Good luck at your interview.

I understand what you are talking about--- you want to go to dental school but don't want to lose your job until you do. In the same situation right now.

What are you gonna tell your employer when you are going to dental school? That's something I have to worry about since I AM going in August.

I understand what you are talking about--- you want to go to dental school but don’t want to lose your job until you do. In the same situation right now.

What are you gonna tell your employer when you are going to dental school? That’s something I have to worry about since I AM going in August.

Tell him you are starting dental school!! Unless you work for a dentist right now, you wont ever need employment from him or her again. So who cares what his reaction is..

Hey,

Tell him you will give him a free dental work when you get out of dental school if he gives you time off for your interview! :laugh:

jk... Dental school is your priority, and what I have found out with work and requesting days off is its good to just be honest. Also you should tell your boss ASAP, the sooner you tell him, the sooner he can cover your shift. Just explain your situation just like you explained it to us, your explanation about getting a job sounds perfectly reasonable, you though you weren't going to get into dental school, so you got a job.

Last edited:
I completely agree with Pogue's reasoning. Also, keep the lie short. Too much of an elaboration will raise suspicions.

As an aside (and not meaning to take this thread in a different direction), IMHO, this is what happens to all of us when the leverage is all on the side of the employer - we have to be fearful of even asking for permitted days off because the level of retaliation is unknown... But I guess this is the "new normal."

this is what happens to all of us when the leverage is all on the side of the employer - we have to be fearful of even asking for permitted days off because the level of retaliation is unknown... But I guess this is the "new normal."

I can't think of a better reason to work for ourselves some day as practice owners.

Tell him you have genital warts all over, and are getting them frozen off. If he asks for a doctor's note, just say "I never said anything about a doctor..."

I say don't go and just go to Podiatry school at Temple like you have been flaunting all over the Pre-Podiatry network. This should make things easy for you

Tell him if you get into dental school and become a dentist you will give him a fair discount.

Hey,

How about you go to him, and simply say "Good morning Mr. XYZ ~ I just wanted to tell you that I will be taking this [or next] wednesday off"

Boss: "Oh really, why? whats up?"

you: "its...... just personal" *give eye contact and don't show that your intimidated*

(end of conversation).... if he persists and says that wednesday is a very bad day, hes in need of help blah blah blah.... you don't need to explain to him anything, hes trying to "shake" you down, just tell him WITHOUT EXPLANING that you NEED to have that day off.... period

Your employer owes you nothing and can let you go at any time. You owe your employer nothing and can quit at any time.

Having said that... if they would not support your opportunity to interview I would just call in sick. This happened to me once when I wanted to interview for a new job... I could not really tell my current employer so I just called in sick. GL

So I talked to my boss today. I told him that I knew we were in a busy season, but I need the day off for personal reasons... He said feel free to take any days off for personal reasons... didn't ask much... I guess I was over worrying myself.. haha thanks for all your inputs!

people here are too into dentistry and telling you to sacrifice something that does not need to be sacrificed. If its a perfectly good paying job and you can handle it, i dont see the reason why you need to tell the world that you are pursuing dentistry. this is real world you need $... if your boss suspects it let him, but dont tell nothing, they have no way of finding out and its non of their business. Dont give them a reason to get rid of you. at the end just give a 2weeks notice that you are quitting and tell them how pleasant it was working with them but dont mention d-school or any of that sort.

Good job. You need the money especially if you have to move to another place, the transportation cost are a lot of money. Plus financial aid doesn't kick in automatically so you need to have some money saved up before your move. I didn't tell my boss that I had an interview, I told him that I needed to present my research for my university. He kept probing and probing. I did talk about my research during my interview. Also, no one would like to know that you will become a doctor and make 3x as much as they will so don't tell them. Take it from Matthew "do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing"

people here are too into dentistry and telling you to sacrifice something that does not need to be sacrificed. If its a perfectly good paying job and you can handle it, i dont see the reason why you need to tell the world that you are pursuing dentistry. this is real world you need $... if your boss suspects it let him, but dont tell nothing, they have no way of finding out and its non of their business. Dont give them a reason to get rid of you. at the end just give a 2weeks notice that you are quitting and tell them how pleasant it was working with them but dont mention d-school or any of that sort.

what if they asked for a reason for quitting?

what if they asked for a reason for quitting?

In USA... you dont ow strangers no explanation. Comes friday fill out your time sheet then dont come to work from monday. or be professional and tell them that you have found some other opportunity or for personal reasons that you are quitting the job and explain in the letter how different skills that you have acquired and how its going to be useful in life. No need to explain nothing else to anyone. If they ask just say personal reasons or found some other job. If they keep pressing, just say i am not comfortable discussing that info.

Again you dont have to leave a place where people dislike you b/c of your cockiness( rubbing against their face that ohh you just wasted 6 months of your time teaching me something now i quit going to do something better and gonna make more money)... Instead be humble and leave the place where everyone wouldn't mind and understand that you need to do this to grow mature etc...

In USA... you dont ow strangers no explanation. Comes friday fill out your time sheet then dont come to work from monday. or be professional and tell them that you have found some other opportunity or for personal reasons that you are quitting the job and explain in the letter how different skills that you have acquired and how its going to be useful in life. No need to explain nothing else to anyone. If they ask just say personal reasons or found some other job. If they keep pressing, just say i am not comfortable discussing that info.

Again you dont have to leave a place where people dislike you b/c of your cockiness( rubbing against their face that ohh you just wasted 6 months of your time teaching me something now i quit going to do something better and gonna make more money)... Instead be humble and leave the place where everyone wouldn't mind and understand that you need to do this to grow mature etc...

:thumbup::thumbup: