Interview Date Choice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ColonelTigh

This is the XO
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

For interview invites, how much choice do you have over the date? I mean, if I can't do it one month, can I push one or two months later? What is the flexibility, your control over the matter? How many dates, or date ranges, do they give you initially?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on the school. Some schools will give you a two week window to schedule your interview, others will give you a day. You can call and explain that you can't make it on that day, is there another you can have? I scheduled one of my interviews a month and a half out, but I think they were pretty lenient there because I don't think they would've been open for many of the Fridays in the month before (it was AECOM, and that year a ton of Jewish holidays started on Thursday night in September).

Members don't see this ad :)
Of the 4 schools I interviewed at:

one gave me a number of choices for the date

one gave me 2 or 3 dates and told me to pick

two gave me the date, and that was it.

I'm not sure if this is any help at all.. haha. But it just depends on the school.

Even if they give you a choice of dates that you can't make, you can always call or email and ask if you can have a later date. I did that at one of my schools... they sent an interview invite in September with a choice of interview dates in October. I preferred a later date, so I called to ask if I could schedule for December, and it was no problem.

Agree with above. If they offer you an interview, they'll work to make sure they can get you on a date you can make it. That said, you are probably going to face some inconveniences in your schedule; a school may only interview on a handful of Fridays throughout the year. So if you have cello practice on Fridays, you're gonna need to skip one :)

Also, it's in your best interest to interview sooner rather than later if you can help it.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the responses, they will really help me figure out how to plan this app process thingy...

Cylons can be great doctors too, if only they are not genocidal, sigh...

Thanks for all the responses, they will really help me figure out how to plan this app process thingy...

Cylons can be great doctors too, if only they are not genocidal, sigh...

Also, there is a space on the application where you can mark if you'll be out of the country for a period of time. I have a few friends who were living abroad and came back to do all of their interviews in a few weeks.

But yeah, I rescheduled or asked for new dates for about half of my interviews to group travel together, and it was never an issue. I mean, I didn't always get the most perfect date ever, but I was always able to reschedule to a better time around my work and other interview schedule.

So... I was planning on taking a heavily attendance-based course that meets on Tuesdays and Thursday. Missing 2 classes = you fail. Seriously.

What's the likelihood I could get all of my interviews on a weekend? (in this case, maybe I should hope for a lower likelihood...:xf:)

So... I was planning on taking a heavily attendance-based course that meets on Tuesdays and Thursday. Missing 2 classes = you fail. Seriously.

What's the likelihood I could get all of my interviews on a weekend? (in this case, maybe I should hope for a lower likelihood...:xf:)
about a 0% chance of getting any interviews on a weekend.

I've heard of 1 school having Saturday interviews, but apparently this is not the case at any school I've interviewed at.

Friday is a big day for interviews. I'm pretty sure that all mine were on Fridays.

Pretty much nil, but you should be able to do the vast majority of your interviews on either Friday or Monday.

Pretty much nil, but you should be able to do the vast majority of your interviews on either Friday or Monday.

Agreed, close to zero unless you have one interview and it's at this magical Saturday interview school. I had interviews every day of the week. You can probably look up now what days schools interview, or call admissions offices to ask. A lot of schools have 2 or 3 days a week that they interview.