Interview: date, expenses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted212936

Please, I need some advice on interview arrangements:

If I receive a single interview from a school in NY state but for some reasons (hard to book airplane ticket, want to wait for interview in NY state so I can make both in one travel,...), is it wise to postpone the interview for several days to 1 week? Are interviewers displeased if I suggest another date ?

What can I do to minimize travel expenses ????

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
is it wise to email other schools in the area that you have been offered an interview and would like to group interviews together (if they haven't made a decision yet)?

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe Handy is suggesting that you email the other schools that you have not received an interview from and inform them that you will be in the area at that time, maybe to encourage them to make up their mind.

I'm not sure I agree with that logic, but I don't know much about the interview process. I do know that my ex-boyfriend had an interview at WashU, and his plane was delayed. He called and rescheduled for a few weeks later. He was just accepted off the waitlist two weeks ago. So it can't have hurt him that bad.

I believe Handy is suggesting that you email the other schools that you have not received an interview from and inform them that you will be in the area at that time, maybe to encourage them to make up their mind.

I'm not sure I agree with that logic, but I don't know much about the interview process. I do know that my ex-boyfriend had an interview at WashU, and his plane was delayed. He called and rescheduled for a few weeks later. He was just accepted off the waitlist two weeks ago. So it can't have hurt him that bad.

If you're in the area, it's perfectly acceptable to email over schools to let them know. They will put that information into consideration. In fact, Cornell even goes so far as to suggest you do contact them if you're in NYC for another interview. Just make sure the email is polite and not pushy. Schools are pretty understanding about things like this.

And as for the OP, unless you KNOW you have an interview invite coming from another school in the area, why would you push it back? I would write emails to the schools in the area and see if you get offered any more, and then go to that interview at your earliest convenient time especially if it's rolling. There's no point waiting to group it with another interview in the area if you aren't sure whether you'll even be getting a second interview in that area.

I would suggest you keep the date and then email the other schools that you will be in town. I was able to interview at Jefferson and Drexel the same week when I did this.

Thanks guys.

When I receive an interview invitation, should I contact other schools by phone or email? How long does it usually take them to respond?

Ummm, anyone has some thoughts to my 2nd question ?