Interview dates already full

Discussion in 'ERAS, SOAP, and NRMP Match' started by lucas, Nov 6, 2002.

1. lucas

lucas Member
    7+ Year Member

one of my interview invitations listed the dates available, but two of the five dates are already listed as full. I just got the invitation today too and its not like I waited before I chose a date. This program obviously gave me an interview after it invited other students and filled two interview dates. I feel like I'm getting table scraps from this program. So my question is, should I be skeptical of this program's interest in me as a candidate?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. gwen

gwen Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

sounds like you were in the "maybe" pile. this is just my theory so take it for what its worth. i think they give interviews to the ones they definitely like and reject the ones they totally don't want to bother with. then there are the maybes. i believe they wait for nov 1st and if they like what they see, they send you an invitation...so that might not be bad. they just wanted to make sure you really are the same person you mentioned in ur personal statement.

good luck everyone!

4. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic!
    Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Before you start getting bent out of shape about this, think of the interview process like dating.

You may not have been Program X's first choice but does that mean your relationship is doomed from the start? Absolutely not. The interview is your chance to shine, to impress them, make you the love of their life. You may have a little more work to overcome than the "love at first sight" candidate, but there is no reason you cannot get a program interested in you after they see how wonderful you are.

5. MustafaMond

MustafaMond K-Diddy M.D.
    7+ Year Member

I so agree,

Interviews are a new day. Its pretty level at that point.

Do like Kimberly says, and make love to them at interview...slow and deep, like a Barry White song.:oops:

6. DrQuinn

DrQuinn My name is Neo
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Also remember that people who interview at your "dream" place might match at other places. So even though they were offered interviews first, they may not have really taken seriously that program, and will go elsewhere... leaving YOU an open spot.

7. jawurheemd

jawurheemd xx ToXiC xx
    10+ Year Member

I don't know if I would think too much about not getting the first set of interviews. Oftentimes, some programs reserve the first round of interviews for people that they know (i.e. are from the medical school, or have rotated through there).

I know that the U of Chicago Pediatrics program only interviews people from Chicago during their first round of interviews in October.

-James

8. lucas

lucas Member
    7+ Year Member

I think all of you are on target and I feel a lot better. This forum beats talking to my therapist, and its cheaper! Best of luck with the match and your careers!

9. gdog@pennmed

[email protected] New Member

hate to sound harsh, but freaking get over it. first, you seem to read an awful lot into something as minor as "interview dates" already filled. Remember that many programs have a rolling interview policy. Namely applications get reviewed in the order they are recieved. So if you apply late, then you get fewer dates. For example, I am applying to Radiology and transmitted my eras Oct 25 or so. When I got my first batch of invites in four or five days (programs like UVA and Johns Hopkins)several of the dates were already filled. Not a big deal given that I applied really late.

10. lucas

lucas Member
    7+ Year Member

Thanks for sharing your anxiety and frustrations Gdog. Let it allllllll out! Its ok if you screwed up and applied late, its not the end of the world. you will still get a good residency.