Interview Dates Overlap!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blatreemd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got an interview invite today from UTMB, but it's the day right before I have another interview scheduled at another medical school, and I already made plans to leave that day. According to the email UTMB doesn't routinely reschedule interviews. I would reschedule with the other school, but I've already made travel plans and booked a hotel room. I want to ask to reschedule with UTMB, but I'm not sure what to say. Does it look bad if I say I need to reschedule with UTMB because of an interview at another school? PLEASE help!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
why don't you just call and see if you can reschedule...

Members don't see this ad :)
Give the admissions office a ring. They're usually pretty cool.

Just pick up the phone and tell UTMB exactly what you told us (i.e. you're a poor college kid who already paid for trip and hotel somewhere else). If anything, knowing you're being pursued by another school will only make them want you more and that you'll have choices. I don't see a problem here. Multiple interviews should never be a problem in my book. Congrats and good luck.

Why are people so paranoid about letting other schools know that they have interviews elsewhere? I understand not wanting to disclose where else you've applied, but come on... let's be realistic. Med schools know that you'll have applied to more than one place if you're smart. They'll know that if they invite you to interview, someone else probably has as well. Tell them the truth and see if you can reschedule.

Why are people so paranoid about letting other schools know that they have interviews elsewhere? I understand not wanting to disclose where else you've applied, but come on... let's be realistic. Med schools know that you'll have applied to more than one place if you're smart. They'll know that if they invite you to interview, someone else probably has as well. Tell them the truth and see if you can reschedule.

I agree with this. Although, OP, if worse comes to worse, I did have interviews scheduled back-to-back on opposite sides of the country back in September, I even missed my original flight the night of the first interview going to the second one, and still made it there just fine (and got accepted to both lol :D ). So it is totally do-able depending on where the schools are.

Try and reschedule it if they turn you down then it wasn't meant to be. Great that you're getting multiple invites!