Interview depression----please advise

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clairemd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please provide any advice. This is my first post. I attend a top 20 private university. I am chem. major/math minor. I have 3.79 gpa, 3.82 sgpa. I got a 33 on the MCAT. I have done research at two labs in Atlanta and Nashville. I have little clinical experience. My home state is Georgia
I applied to:
Stretch schools: Northwestern and Vanderbilt
Others: Emory
Virginia
North Carolina
Mayo
Wake Forest
Colorado
Iowa
Strong chance schools: Medical College of Georgia
Minnesota
Tulane
George Washington

I have received two immediate rejections (Mayo and Minnesota). I've had 2 interviews (MCG and Vanderbilt.) and then recieved wait list letters from both. 0 from everyone else. I have spent my whole life trying to be a physician and can't even function now because it looks as if I will not get in anywhere. What should I do.......is there anything I can do? Are the wait lists just polite for "you will never hear from us again". Please help.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Perhaps a few more details would help with your wish for advisement. It's always tough to judge these situations because these stats only say so much about you as a "medical school package". How is your personal statement? How are your reqs? How are your other ECs? What extent (or lack thereof) of clinical experience?

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you apply to any other schools? Did you get interviews at all of the above programs?

I applied to 14 schools with everything completed in early Sept.
I spent an entire semester as a senior in high school shadowing various types of physicians. I was in the OR during c-sections, laproscopies, etc. However, was told that high school experience did not count on med school apps. In college, my extra curriculars included American Chemistry Society leadership, a junior honor society, sorority and sorority philanthropy activities, a cappella group director, holding jobs, working in malaria lab. I have been asked to submit application for Phi Beta Kappa.
I have no idea about my recommendations. Two were my lab PhDs. Third was a math professor who adored me.

Please let me know if anything else would help.........I wish I'd known you were here years ago!

Last edited:
How would you rate your performance during your interviews?
How would you rate your personal statement?

There's NOTHING wrong with applying again next year

Do the following for next year:

- get more clinical experience! enough to make your personal statement a work that really shows how driven, sensitive, and mature you are for pursuing a career in medicine

- apply to more "stretch" schools. you've got great stats, you're not really "stretching"

- apply to schools that are known to consider OOSers in the same boat as ISers

- be confident! you're a stellar!

best wishes,

not a great school list
you should know that your recs are good, or you picked the wrong people.
no vols
no clinicals
how was your ps?
how was your interview?

you could wait it out, or wd, up the vols/clin/recs/maybe the mcat and try again next year.

it's hard to tell, but the lack of vols/clin is probably a killer.

I spent an entire semester as a senior in high school shadowing various types of physicians. I was in the OR during c-sections, laproscopies, etc. However, was told that high school experience did not count on med school apps....

...The other was a professor at Vanderbilt with a rather scathing view of undergrads.

clairemd, obviously college activities would weigh more than high school activities. But there is absolutely no way your high school experiences don't count--especially if they are SO relevant to your career choice. I really hope you included those things as one of your fifteen extracurriculars. :xf:

Also, I'm curious as to why you would use a recommendation from a professor that has a "scathing view of undergrads". ... ... :confused:

Last edited:
clairemd, obviously college activities would weigh more than high school activities. But there is absolutely no way your high school experiences don't count--especially if they are SO relevant to your career choice.
HS only counts if it's something you continue in uni, like band.

i would say your biggest problem is no volunteering or clinicals, coz you have good numbers. do those this year and you'll be good to go :)

HS only counts if it's something you continue in uni, like band.

I guess 5 of my ECs didn't count. :uhno:

But seriously, how could something that has AFFECTED the being you are today not be important? Cross country (in high school) has made me most of everything I am today--and I made that very clear on my application (personal statement, ECs, and secondary essays). This is coming from someone that has found success in the current cycle.

I just don't want the OP selling herself short. :thumbup:

I was invited to shadow next semester by an MD at my university and told him I would. Is it too late to send a "letter of interest" with update regarding Amer. Chem. Society efforts, Phi Beta Kappa, and that I will be shadowing all next semester??? Might it make a difference?!:confused:

But seriously, how could something that has AFFECTED the being you are today not be important? Cross country (in high school) has made me most of everything I am today--and I made that very clear on my application (personal statement, ECs, and secondary essays). This is coming from someone that has found success in the current cycle.

oh, i totally agree with stuff that has made you who you are, especially if you've continued it, but the things i found on a quick search limit to post-matric at uni unless showing continuity. idk.

I was invited to shadow next semester by an MD at my university and told him I would. Is it too late to send a "letter of interest" with update regarding Amer. Chem. Society efforts, Phi Beta Kappa, and that I will be shadowing all next semester??? Might it make a difference?!:confused:
you still have no volunterring or clinicals. i don't think it's going to matter much.

Members don't see this ad :)

i think u should def let the schools know that you intend to do those activities next semester, and what you did this past semester if any.
It might make a difference, or it may not, either way this shows you are interested and taking chances. Also, if you dont let them know of this, you might look back in the future and wished you would have let them know....

best of luck to you....

I have spent a great deal of my undergrad time with this Professor.... He is highly regarded by the faculty, does exciting research, is a wonderful teacher. I had him for classes and worked in his lab.

Last edited:
take this advice for what it's worth. you can check my MD apps for a little about me.

there are certain things you CAN do, any others you can't. so here's what I would do. it's REALLY easy to see the light when it's not you, right?

so, dive into clinicals and shadowing experiences. why? it's your weakness. and if you're wondering why no acceptances yet, logically, it's not because of your strengths. yes? i mean, your numbers are great. it ain't that. we can all agree.

SO, volunteer and shadow. as much as you can. would i retake a 33 MCAT? are you nuts? no. that's a great score, avg 11s. don't screw with that.

i repeat: volunteer, volunteer volunteer. shadow shadow shadow. why? it's something you CAN do, and it always helps. so do it. do you know what areas you have interest in? head there. if not, pick something unique. this is pretty free, pretty easy, pretty doable. jump in now.

as for the rest, are there any schools whose deadlines have not passed (dec 1)? if you can find one or two or three with a jan 1 deadline, apply. if you can. i'd love to have your numbers.

what else can you do? nobody has answered this directly i don't think, but no waitlists CAN be the quiet death sentence, but they can also matriculate you. what do people do? a) wait. b) wait and send NICE, professional letters of interest and intent. something compelling. mine would be to the affect that, "With such a strong program in anesthesiology, you are my number one choice in medical schools, i would love the opportunity and would remove my application from other programs immediately....etc etc.
choice is yours if you want to apply again in 09, or, do what you have the power to now.

ball's in your court! (and i mean that in a very supportive and good way) you've got the digits, go for it.

also, what CAN'T YOU DO? you can't relive your interviews. and who knows if they were good or bad. your perception can be skewed. so, even if you thought it was great, or awful, we'd all here have a hard time getting our minds around it. and what are you going to do, anyway, write a letter asking about the interview instead of showing intent??? no. so, practice some interviews at home. friends. doctors. dive in. experiment. can't hurt.

also, to schools that haven't waitlisted you, interviewed you, or contacted you back. it's almost jan 1. CALL THE admissions office.

again, this is my .02. but it's the advice i would hope to be given when my closeness to the situation wouldn't allow me to see it myself.

best of luck, keep at it, you're close,
D712

i was also a chemistry major :) but you really need some clinical experience. start now and keep at it.

If you reapply next cycle, I might get rid of the scathing guy...just because he might be giving an 'honest' appraisal of your work (with both bad and good included). These days, nothing but the good is going to work in your favor, and any bad comments he may have written might not help.

Call up Wake Forest to figure out where you stand with them. You might get an interview -- Wake is kind of weird.

Hang in there.

I know activities from high school should 'supposedly' not be included on your AMCAS app. SDN 'law' requires that you not list any activities from HS that have not been continued, but I have mixed feelings on this one. If shadowing physicians in high school was part of what convinced you to become a doctor and there's no better way to explain it, then you might consider adding it anyway, if you have space. After all, the worst an ADCOM's going to do is just not consider that particular activity. At best, your motives for becoming a physician are a little clearer.

My $0.02. Good luck. Get some clinical experience now while you can and send a letter of update, maybe. Update your schools on anything you think is significant.

There is still time. I am sort of in the same situation as you. My loving friends on this forum (sarcasm fully intended :laugh:) have told me that I shouldn't panic until Jan 21st or so. So let's give it a few more weeks!

SO, volunteer and shadow. as much as you can. would i retake a 33 MCAT? are you nuts? no. that's a great score, avg 11s. don't screw with that.

i repeat: volunteer, volunteer volunteer. shadow shadow shadow. why? it's something you CAN do, and it always helps. so do it. do you know what areas you have interest in? head there. if not, pick something unique. this is pretty free, pretty easy, pretty doable. jump in now.

as for the rest, are there any schools whose deadlines have not passed (dec 1)? if you can find one or two or three with a jan 1 deadline, apply. if you can. i'd love to have your numbers.

what else can you do? nobody has answered this directly i don't think, but no waitlists CAN be the quiet death sentence, but they can also matriculate you. what do people do? a) wait. b) wait and send NICE, professional letters of interest and intent. something compelling. mine would be to the affect that, "With such a strong program in anesthesiology, you are my number one choice in medical schools, i would love the opportunity and would remove my application from other programs immediately....etc etc.
choice is yours if you want to apply again in 09, or, do what you have the power to now.

ball's in your court! (and i mean that in a very supportive and good way) you've got the digits, go for it.

also, what CAN'T YOU DO? you can't relive your interviews. and who knows if they were good or bad. your perception can be skewed. so, even if you thought it was great, or awful, we'd all here have a hard time getting our minds around it. and what are you going to do, anyway, write a letter asking about the interview instead of showing intent??? no. so, practice some interviews at home. friends. doctors. dive in. experiment. can't hurt.

also, to schools that haven't waitlisted you, interviewed you, or contacted you back. it's almost jan 1. CALL THE admissions office.

again, this is my .02. but it's the advice i would hope to be given when my closeness to the situation wouldn't allow me to see it myself.

best of luck, keep at it, you're close,
D712

Ditto. I can't stress contacting the schools more. Why? Because you have VERY stellar scores, and many of the schools that you chose probably are passing you by because they may assume you think these schools are safeties. This happened to a friend of mine with a 37 MCAT. Wayne State passed him by because they thought he wasn't truly interested in them, when he actually was.

Hence, contact them (probably via a letter), and say how interested you are in them. State specific facts about each school that draw your attention.

Also, how is your verbal score? That plays a huge factor in your app. Also, surprisingly, the writing score. I got a complement about my writing score on the MCAT during one of my interviews (I got an R). They notice those types of things.

Also, if you have to reapply, pay special attention to your personal statement. Have several people read it.

Good luck! Hope that was helpful.

u say uve wanted to be a physician all your life but u have little clinical experience?

If someone said I want to play in the NBA but ive never played/watched a game, I wouldnt believe them.

Does this come up in ur interviews? How do you answer it.

I would say u should shadow that doc as much as possible and many others.

I know activities from high school should 'supposedly' not be included on your AMCAS app. SDN 'law' requires that you not list any activities from HS that have not been continued, but I have mixed feelings on this one. If shadowing physicians in high school was part of what convinced you to become a doctor and there's no better way to explain it, then you might consider adding it anyway, if you have space. After all, the worst an ADCOM's going to do is just not consider that particular activity. At best, your motives for becoming a physician are a little clearer.

My $0.02. Good luck. Get some clinical experience now while you can and send a letter of update, maybe. Update your schools on anything you think is significant.
I worked in some of my HS clinical stuff via my PS. I ended up being asked about those experiences more in my interviews than the ones I listed in Work/Activities, because it was fairly clear they were more meaningful. I don't think it would have made a difference either way if I had listed them as official activities. However if there had been no mention of them anywhere, my app would have been lacking.

I worked in some of my HS clinical stuff via my PS. I ended up being asked about those experiences more in my interviews than the ones I listed in Work/Activities, because it was fairly clear they were more meaningful. I don't think it would have made a difference either way if I had listed them as official activities. However if there had been no mention of them anywhere, my app would have been lacking.

Yeah, I "lumped in" a number of high school events with college events, because I felt they gave a clearer picture of the fact that I am and have been a dedicated musician, etc. Worked for me...

I mean, right now I'm in grad school and I'm probably a little older than most of you are, not to mention further-removed from high school. But, you know, when interviewers ask "how did you decide to become a physician?" I really have to start somewhere near the conclusion of high school to make any sense of my somewhat odd career trajectory. I can only imagine that high school played an even more important role for those of you applying at 20 and 21.

As a general rule you can't list HS activities under the activities section unless you continued from HS- however you CAN add them to your personal statement... I was able to do this with my trips to Africa and Argentina...

OP- You don't really have anything on your application to show an adcom that you are wanting to help humanity- no clinical or volunteering experiences... that is really hurting your application. Hopefully you talked about shadowing in your PS... I really think you still have a shot this year (though based on EC's alone I would have applied to less prestigious schools)- write letters to those schools which waitlisted you and hopefully things will go your way.

thank you to everyone who offered great constructive advice on my status at this point.
I appreciate your input so much and will do as much as I can to improve my clinical/volunteering situation at this point! :xf:

Given your numbers, I'd be very surprised if you weren't at or near the top of the waitlist at MCG. Plus, state schools tend to see much more movement on their waitlist as stellar instate applicants accept places at top tier schools.

many schools take a significant portion of their class from waitlist. don't give up!

As a general rule you can't list HS activities under the activities section unless you continued from HS- however you CAN add them to your personal statement... I was able to do this with my trips to Africa and Argentina...

OP- You don't really have anything on your application to show an adcom that you are wanting to help humanity- no clinical or volunteering experiences... that is really hurting your application. Hopefully you talked about shadowing in your PS... I really think you still have a shot this year (though based on EC's alone I would have applied to less prestigious schools)- write letters to those schools which waitlisted you and hopefully things will go your way.

I agree with this. Whether or not you had the experience necessary to make the decision to apply to med school, you didn't continue with clinical or volunteering activities in college. Unfortunately, that's part of the admissions "game".

There's no harm in shadowing and volunteering and updating schools. That's probably the only shot at getting off the waitlist that you have. Just be persistent with LOIs and updates about your activities.

Volunteering activities will be crucial should you need to reapply next year. If nothing else, I would get involved for this reason alone. Without a significant improvement in your application, it might be hard to get the same schools to consider you again.

Where is this "general rule" from?

i think that some people say it's listed in the rules of aamc, not sure though

I don't think it's an actual rule. Rather, the philosophy behind it is that if you stopped doing something four years ago (when you graduated), it's probably not a big part of your life anymore. Exceptions to this would be major life- or career-track-changing events that led you toward medicine or toward something that you're doing now. Though in the latter case, you would mention that you'd been doing X or became interested in it since that time in high school rather than listing it as a separate item.

Unless you cured cancer/aids/alzheimers, published in Nature/Science/IEEE Spectrum, or saved the world/solar system/universe.

That kind of thing.:thumbup: