Interview etiquette/questions asked

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thegrind33

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have a question about interviews. I know that every school (or most schools) has an itinerary of interview day. But I want to know how do you answer odd questions thrown your way, and what is the best way to answer any potentially controversial questions? Sorry if this post sounds dumb :/

Members don't see this ad.

Tip I got for ethical questions but never had to use was “if XYZ was legal in the state...” in regards to euthanasia, physician assisted suicide, abortion

Reactions: 1 user
Keep your composure at all costs. Sometimes they just want to see if you’ll get flustered. Remember you can always say something like “that’s an interesting question, let me think about that for a few seconds.”

Members don't see this ad :)
Don’t prepare for any of the questions.

When you get hit with a curveball just take a second to think.

Just discuss your thought process aloud and use that as a response to the interviewer’s question.

For instance, I had a question that asked “The world is doomed and you are the captain of the last rocket off. You can only take one more person. You must chose between a doctor and a cashier.”

Outloud you should say something like...

“First off, no one human life is worth more than any other. However, as the captain in the scenario, I must also consider the impacts of such a hard decision on the rest of my passengers. A doctor holds more utility to others aboard, so if I was only to take one, and neither volunteered to stay, I would chose the doctor. Though it would be a difficult choice.”

You essentially need to say the “right” answer that everyone is thinking while simultaneously showing that you aren’t emotionless and consider multiple perspectives.

Reactions: 1 user
I think if you're not good at thinking on your feet, you need to practice. Practice interviewing with friends by asking each other really tough ethical dilemmas and critique each other. Not everyone is naturally good at improvising on the spot. Even the best jazz musicians practice improvising (which always seemed an oxymoron to me).

If the question is something more realistic like physician assisted suicide like WIMNFamilyMed said or medical marijuana or NPs/PAs vs physicians etc. think about where you stand on those issues and argue both sides. Be authentic, but also talk about the other viewpoints. Also, it's perfectly ok to say that you don't think there is a right or wrong answer if that's how you truly feel unless they force you to give an answer. Whatever the case is, just be as genuine as you can be while keeping your composure as best as you can. As cliche as it is, if you get asked these questions, the interviewer is trying to determine whether or not you actually think things through. They're not always looking for the right answer or the best answer.

There are certain questions that are too "controversial" and you should feel free to decline to answer and then immediately talk to the staff about it after the interview is over. Things like if your interviewer is being overtly sexist/racist/etc. or something more subtle like, if you're woman, the interviewer asking if you think you can handle medicine and motherhood. If it can't be asked during an employment interview, it can't be asked at a med school interview.

And, no, it doesn't sound dumb so don't apologize.

You can always say you're uncomfortable answering if its a personal question -- I know a guy who was asked why his parents got divorced, and he refused to answer (and maybe said it shouldn't impact the MD admissions process or was not relevant to his future as a physician). He still got accepted there.

Reactions: 1 users
one way to get more experience with the interview process is to apply for some internships/jobs. it'll get your feet wet.

i found over many years of interviewing for jobs/residency/fellowship/med schools that after a few interviews you get most of the same questions over and over so I have a smooth response towards the middle of the interview season.

if you do get a real curve ball and feel like you couldn't come up with an articulate response - keep that question in your mind and when you write your thank you note later to the interviewer take the time to write a better response to the question. those letters can still end up in your application.

Acknowledge all sides and advantages/disadvantages of the controversial topic, then walk the interviewer through your thought process using logic as well as the emotional components that factor into your opinion. Ultimately, its all about showing them that you can articulate a sound point of view.
In my personal experience, I noticed that they appreciate it if you reflect on a relevant experience in your answer if its possible.

So I have a question about interviews. I know that every school (or most schools) has an itinerary of interview day. But I want to know how do you answer odd questions thrown your way, and what is the best way to answer any potentially controversial questions? Sorry if this post sounds dumb :/
You answer from the heart, and be able to justify your choice.