• Please review the updated member agreement. Included is a new statement supporting the scientific method and evidence-based medicine. Claims or statements about disease processes should reference widely accepted scientific resources. Theoretical medical speculation is encouraged as part of the overall scientific process. However, unscientific statements that promote unfounded ideological positions or agendas may be removed.
  • Free admissions webinar for pre-vets! “Apply Smarter” Webinar

Lests55

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 30, 2005
Status
Does your school count a medical school interview as an excused absence, such that you can make up the work/exam. Fall of my senior year will have some lab work that would have to be made up. Is this do-able?

p00psicleSTICK

cat's in the cradle
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 9, 2005
Status
Pre-Medical
Yes I know at my school professors will give excused absences for work/school related interviews. Go talk to your professors/lab TAs they'll probably be fine w/ it.

chandelantern

MSI at Mayo in August!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 17, 2005
Status
arob34 said:
Does your school count a medical school interview as an excused absence, such that you can make up the work/exam. Fall of my senior year will have some lab work that would have to be made up. Is this do-able?
At my school it is completely up to the professors. Talk to them early, some will be understanding, some won't. Try to schedule your interviews accordingly (although this doesn't always work.) For the lab class I was taking, I was only allowed to miss one class (a weekly lab) for the whole quarter or they would have docked my grade, so I scheduled as many interviews as I could for other days. If there are other sections though, it shouldn't be a problem for you to make them up (just say you are willing to come in any time to make up the work.)

About the Ads

coco

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 13, 2004
Status
Medical Student
I didn't have a problem at all. All my professors were so understanding because they want all their students to go to graduate/professional schools and they said that an interview was more important than an undergrad chem lab. They were more excited than I was every time I told them I had an interview. I did have to make up the work though, and the labs (on my own since they were all 400 level chem classes with one section). But if you talk to them before the semester starts or the first day of classes, they should be OK with it.
On a relevant note, I do go to a relatively small school and my classes this semester have all had less than 15 students so it might be different if you go to a bigger school.

jbrice1639

Cub Fan, Bud Man
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 15, 2005
Chicago
Status
Medical Student
my experience was that professors didn't seem to have a problem with it unless it fell on an exam day...then they would expect students to schedule interviews around the exams.

About the Ads