Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Interview=Excused Absence?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Lests55, Dec 14, 2005.

1. Lests55

Lests55 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Does your school count a medical school interview as an excused absence, such that you can make up the work/exam. Fall of my senior year will have some lab work that would have to be made up. Is this do-able?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. p00psicleSTICK

p00psicleSTICK cat's in the cradle
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Yes I know at my school professors will give excused absences for work/school related interviews. Go talk to your professors/lab TAs they'll probably be fine w/ it.

4. chandelantern

chandelantern MSI at Mayo in August!
    5+ Year Member

At my school it is completely up to the professors. Talk to them early, some will be understanding, some won't. Try to schedule your interviews accordingly (although this doesn't always work.) For the lab class I was taking, I was only allowed to miss one class (a weekly lab) for the whole quarter or they would have docked my grade, so I scheduled as many interviews as I could for other days. If there are other sections though, it shouldn't be a problem for you to make them up (just say you are willing to come in any time to make up the work.)

5. coco

coco Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I didn't have a problem at all. All my professors were so understanding because they want all their students to go to graduate/professional schools and they said that an interview was more important than an undergrad chem lab. They were more excited than I was every time I told them I had an interview. I did have to make up the work though, and the labs (on my own since they were all 400 level chem classes with one section). But if you talk to them before the semester starts or the first day of classes, they should be OK with it.
    On a relevant note, I do go to a relatively small school and my classes this semester have all had less than 15 students so it might be different if you go to a bigger school.

6. jbrice1639

jbrice1639 Cub Fan, Bud Man
    5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    my experience was that professors didn't seem to have a problem with it unless it fell on an exam day...then they would expect students to schedule interviews around the exams.