Interview Fashion Emergency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SquigglyQ

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have my first interview tomorrow and the two suit parts I have are different shades of black. Do you guys think the interviewers will notice/care?

They are both black, one very dark, the other has a hint of grey.

I have an hourglass figure, so I wanted to avoid wearing a dress and risk looking unprofessional. But, if it seems that is my best option, could someone send me a link of conservative and professional dresses to wear with a vest that you have seen on the interview trail?

The final option would be to wear the black pants and then a totally different color vest, so that it would appear I wasn't even trying to have them match.

I, honestly, cannot afford the $160 for the top that would go with my pair of pants.

Members don't see this ad.

I have zero authority here, but ugh, I hate that this is an issue. So much stress! If it were me, I would wear whichever outfit I feel better in, and not worry about the different shades of black. But, like I said, I have no authority on this at all. Good luck on your interview, though! Rock it with your two tone black!

Reactions: 1 user
If you're stuck wearing the mismatched suit, you're stuck wearing the mismatched suit. If you can get a different blazer or different pants, it's pretty acceptable to wear grey with black or something similar - go for neutral colors that are different enough for it to be clear that they're not intended to match.

LOFT has some really nice sheath dresses. That’s where I got mine and the matching blazer. I think dress+jacket looks really professional as long as it’s the right length, not too tight, and a high neck line. That’s what I’ve been wearing at all my interviews!