interview fashion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mils

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please pardon the "appearence" of this topic, but since making a good impression includes wardrobe -- here goes. I was recently advised that women wear a suit with a skirt below the knee and 1"-2"inch heels due to the possibility of having an older conservative interviewer. Is that what most women wear? Above the knee? I know I'd be more comfortable in pants with a suit jacket (especially in winter weather). What are the
interviewees wearing? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Mils,

I am also constantly asking people what I should be wearing. I am still looking for a jacket, but I think I have settled on a skirt. I have also heard the same thing as you, so I decided to go more conservative. However if you do feel more comfortable in pants, wear pants. During your interview you want to feel confident and if wearing a skirt would make you feel uncomfortable, I would suggest that you wear pants. My mentor, who is an interviewer for UCI Med, said that they just want to see that you are well-groomed, and that you actually spent a little time looking nice for something this important. But this is my first interview, so don't take my word for it. Maybe you should wait for replies from more experienced people. Since I am replying, I might ask well ask a question too. How should I wear my hair... up or down?

I've been to four interviews, and they've all been different. I've seen a girl in a denim dress, a few girls in slacks, and I've seen A LOT of navy and black suits. One administrator of a med school said we looked like a bunch of morticians. I wore a deep blue (not navy) suit with a long skirt, off-white blouse, pearls, and taupe suede shoes. I made sure the shoes would be comfortable before I bought them. You'll do a lot of walking. I have almost shoulder-length hair, and I wore it down each time, but neatly done.

My advice: wear what you think expresses your personal sense of professionalism. Then you'll be comfortable with how you look and come off as being confident and mature. It's okay to be a little different from the crowd, but not too much. You want to stand out for your qualities, and a small amount of individualism in your dress can help you accomplish that.

Hope that helps.

------------------
We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams.

--Willy Wonka

Members don't see this ad :)
This may be a stupid question, but should it be written in stone that a male wear a suit? I have never worn a suit much less own one. Being that I have a little time before my interview in a couple of years, should I look to make the purchase now? Thanks to all who respond.

Go Hawkeyes

hawkeye,

definitely wear a suit.

It is appropriate for a women to wear a skirt or a pant suit. I wore a pant suit to all of my interviews and was well received. I would encourage you to wear what makes you comfortable. Men should definitely wear a suit. Also, women can wear their hair up or down as long as the look is professional.

Rebecca
DMU '03

I wore a navy trouser skirt (tea length), navy long sleeved blouse, small strand of pearls and NO jacket to each of my interviews. This fit with my personality and sense of style (professional training as a model in my youth). Most of the younger women (20's) at my interviews wore VERY short skirts with their suits and they seemed to be tugging at them each time they stood up.
I agree with the other posts, wear whatever you feel exemplifies who you are as a person and make sure it is comfortable. The last thing you want is to be thinking about your appearance when answering questions.
Also, don't try to 'fashion mag' the hair or makeup on the big day. Try several hairstyles out and get opinions from people you trust. A fresh haircut the week before will give you a boost of confidence as well!
I believe less is more when it comes to makeup, but again, do what is most comfortable for you!
Footnote--be cautious on the cleavage!! Low cut tops and jackets may reveal one of your best physical attributes, but it makes everyone uncomfortable. Do you want them remembering the breasts or the brains????

Do NOT wear short skirts or leave buttons on your blouse "strategically" unbuttoned. Be conservative (i.e. skirt ending right below the knee for women, no earings for men), practical (i.e. low heels but not pumps so you can walk), and above all, PROFESSIONAL!. Remember, whether or not you dress appropriately for your interview is a direct reflection of how much common sense and good judgement you possess.

[This message has been edited by justwannabadoc (edited 12-13-1999).]

Hawkeye,
you need to wear a suit! to give a good impression. If you can't buy one, then find a friend with one and borrow it, that's what I did! and make sure your hair is cut conservatively. I tried to look sharp for my interview day, but afterwards I returned to my lab wearing ripped jeans and a dirty t-shirt. yes....life is good

good luck

What does a "nice suit" cost these days? Like I mentioned earlier, I have never worn a suit much less own one. Can anyone tell me about what one would cost? Thanks to all in advance.

Go Hawkeyes

Obviously, it depends on where you buy your suit but you can get a "great" one for $150. Syms is a good place to look for suits but there may not be one near you. Remember that when you go buy a suit, don't think of it as just for your interview. Think of it as an investment. You will need it several times throughout your training, even during your 1st year (I've had to put mine on 4 times already in just 4 months), and as long as you don't balloon after starting med school, you will find the extra money you spent well worth it.

I totally agree with justwannabadoc that buying a suit should be considered as an "investment". One of my friends has the same philosophy. She bought a suit for $300, wore it to 3 interviews (USC, UCLA, and UOP), and got into all of them. What a great investment it was for her. I am starting to feel the same way. If spending a little more money on a nice suit would get me into med school, I am willing to fork out the dough.

Also, justwannabadoc, where did you get a "great" suit for $150? Maybe I'll go there to get my suit
smile.gif

Like I said, go to Syms for suits. I got a Christian Aujard (no idea whether or not that's on par with Ralph Lauren or the likes (although it does say Paris on the inside
smile.gif
) but it sure looks and feels awesome) wool suit for around $150. Go to their website to see if one is near you.

Men don't necessarily need to wear a suit. A sharp jacket with slacks would be fine as well. I personally didn't feel comfortable in jacket/slacks, so I did wear a suit. Most guys do. At one interview an adcom member asked us if we shopped at the same store because half the interviewees were wearing dark blue suits. The women I've seen at interviews have had more variety in their attire, but generally power suits in black, navy or red.

Hey, is red ok? It's not too loud? I guess I've always heard, navy or black so I'm just surprised.

You can do 2 things when it comes to deciding what to wear for your interview: dress conservatively and risk being boring fashion-wise or make a statement with your wardrobe. Many choose the latter but I would rather make my compelling statement through words rather than through wardrobe.

For most people, dressing conservatively means wearing dark colors (i.e. black, navy, or dark gray). If you want to appear less stiff but still dress "conservatively," get something with faint stripes. So what if you look like everyone else. IT'S EXPECTED!!! You are in a professional and formal setting. Interviewers thus expect you to dress appropriately. In our society, that means a full suit for men and women. Sure, many people wear nice slacks and a sports jacket to their interviews. It may look nice but it ISN'T professional! As I stated in a previous post, whether or not you have common sense and good judgement is reflected in how you show up. It also is a sign of respect.

Put yourself in the shoes of an interviewer. One candidate shows up in a full suit. Another shows up in nice khakis and a sports jacket. Just as neatly pressed and as sharp looking as the 1st candidate. The only difference is that it is more casual-looking. Both are equally qualified in every respect except for dress. Who would you take? I would take the guy who wore the suit, because I would view his professional appearance as a sign of respect.

I just don't understand why some of you are trying to get out of wearing a suit or purchasing one. YOU ARE GOING TO NEED ONE!!! so you might as well get it now. In terms of color, I think red is too strong for this type of setting. Take this approach when deciding what to wear: Wear something that will make you stand out but only when the other person is in front of you, not 100 feet from you.

[This message has been edited by justwannabadoc (edited 12-15-1999).]

Hawkeye, I was in the same position as you prior to my interview. But I feel that I have stumbled upon the secret of getting into medical school....China Blue shirt. (Under a navy blue suit, of course). Now that's a sharp looking color!

This discussion has been very helpful. I shopped today and found a navy pantsuit that I feel good in and might even experiment with a blue shirt. I went to SYMS in NYC but found that they don't have as many suits for women as they do men. We have a big discount department store CENTURY 21 that has designer wear like Armani for low prices. Loehman's is worth a look too.
Good luck to everyone.

I found my suit at Macy's...believe it or not, they have some awesome suit sales for women. If you don't have a Macy's near you, you're right, Loewman's is a good place, too.

------------------
We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams.

--Willy Wonka

Sorry I forgot to mention that Syms is only good for men's suits. As Mils stated, not much stuff for women there although they do sometimes have nice wool coats (another article of clothing you should invest in on top of that suit). Hey Mils, Century 21 is one of my favorite places too. Good place for ties and sweaters.