Interview Feedback: Judging books by their covers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OwnageMobile

is just a moniker.
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I find the interview feedback a great tool/resource. The ranking idea is on the right track, but I feel certain anomolies are hurting the significance.

It seems to me that nearly every school's :mad: faces/poor ratings are made in response to a poor interview experience. E.g. the interviewer was rude, it was a grilling session, "they didn't read my file" a la "they didn't seem interested in me" jazz etc..

I understand that poor experiences like these are just that. But to let a bad taste in one's mouth from and interview ruin their image of a school seems ignorant/shortsighted.

One can argue that the interviewer is a representitive of the school, and to an extent I can't deny that. But so many other factors should be considered: people other than your interviewer, students, curriculum, facilities etc..

I applaud those who keep it real and let the interview be merely a part of the picture, but must say I believe those who drop the rankings of schools because they are sour about a nasty interview expereince are doing a disservice to all of us who use the interview feedback.

[A la Nutmeg] Discuss.

Members don't see this ad.

The impression you give at your interview is a reflection of yourself, and certainly can influence a school's decision on your admission. Why shouldn't the reverse be true to an applicant? IMHO, mean/rude interviewers plain suck (and are unprofessional to do that), and if a school allows that sort of interview to go on, then that definitely says something about the school in general.

tacrum43 said:
The impression you give at your interview is a reflection of yourself, and certainly can influence a school's decision on your admission. Why shouldn't the reverse be true to an applicant? IMHO, mean/rude interviewers plain suck (and are unprofessional to do that), and if a school allows that sort of interview to go on, then that definitely says something about the school in general.

I'm not saying that the interview experience shouldn't matter to the applicant. I'm sure it's a sucky experience that turns many off. I'm saying that I feel that this:
tacrum43 said:
and if a school allows that sort of interview to go on, then that definitely says something about the school in general.
isn't always a safe assumption.

Maybe the feedback form should have an interview rank/score and a school rank/score to help differentiate. I'm sure many schools look at this interview feedback as well, and probably share similar sentiments.

Members don't see this ad :)
i totally agree with you.

but i feel the reverse should also be stated.

how many times you hear someone say "the interview went GREAT but i wasn't too impressed with the school..."

Robizzle said:
i totally agree with you.

but i feel the reverse should also be stated.

how many times you hear someone say "the interview went GREAT but i wasn't too impressed with the school..."

Good point; separating the two scores would also help here.

Keep in mind, too, that some of the interview feedback is colored by the final outcome of the application process. Some applicants will downgrade a school and the interview experience after admission decisions are mailed.

LizzyM said:
Keep in mind, too, that some of the interview feedback is colored by the final outcome of the application process. Some applicants will downgrade a school and the interview experience after admission decisions are mailed.

I think this is half true. I think people are more honest with themselves after a decision is made. Last cycle i interviewed at UT-San Antonio and LOVED it there. I was rejected and that is disappointing, but I can't honestly say anything negative about the school, the students, curriculum or their admissions process. However, there were schools where I interviewed and thought "it was a decent school", but after getting rejected and knowing I wouldn't be going there, all of the school's flaws began to surface in my own mind.